Oops! Might have went a little over board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! Might have went a little over board

Ran out of room in garden #1 went and got my old garden tilled for garden #2 and still not done.
    Garden #1

About 22'x80' got rutabagas, leeks(bought by accident never grown them before), kohlrabi, beets, sugar snap peas, green beans, 10 heirloom tomatoes (3 of them Cherokee carbon which is a cross of Cherokee purple and carbon tomatoes if you love a good eating tomato I recommend the Cherokee purple, delicious!) Still got to put in 10 tomato plants. Then we go to peppers, 8 bell, 8 Japs, 4 Anaheim, 4 habs, 4 hot banana, 4 cayenne. Then some eggplant, okra, sweet potatoes, turnips, cabbage, radishes, carrots, and spinach. Ugh I'm beat already but still got a crap load of seeds to plant. My old garden was next to a shed that I just let the cows graze but now I got to put up a fence to keep them out. It's 12'x75' got 5 hills of zucchini, 5 hills of yellow squash, 4 hills of cucumbers, 4 hills of butternut squash(love this stuff!) 4 hills of acorn squash.

Now I got to figure out where to put watermelon, pumpkins, cantaloupe, and honey dew. I've got two spots I'm thinking about not sure if I'll get to it tomorrow.

Did I miss anything?

Let's see your gardens! What are you planting this year?

I don't like to put chemicals down but I'm tired of fighting the weeds and even though the wife has summers off getting her out to weed is difficult. Picked up some organic preen for the transplants going to get regular preen to cover the rest. I'm shot and drinking my supper, thanks for looking!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

WOW! That's a lot of work, but then a lot of work equals a lot of reward. Should be awesome. Kind of wished you lived closer so I could get vegetables but more seriously so I could give you all these canning supplies I'll never use(If ya wanted them).

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
      WOW! That's a lot of work, but then a lot of work equals a lot of reward. Should be awesome. Kind of wished you lived closer so I could get vegetables but more seriously so I could give you all these canning supplies I'll never use(If ya wanted them).
      Wish you were closer to, would love to have some drinks and shoot the shit. Alot of work but Nolan helped alot and was fun to spend a whole day with him. I'm hoping our pressure canner sees some use this year. The acorn, butternut, turnips, and rutabagas should be able to be kept through the winter. Last year's garden was a dud, too much rain at the wrong times so here's hoping for a great year.
      sigpic

Comment

If it's rain you need I am pretty sure Wingman, Pitrow, Fishawn, and myself would be glad to share ours....

Comment

Nice looking soil there. That's about the size me wife had in mind. My eyes bigger than my back I think... Happy growing.
          sigpic
          It's Better When Cooked in the Backyard and Served on the Porch
          A man just can't have to many toys..
          Akorn smoker

Comment

Originally posted by BrisketJunkie View Post
            Nice looking soil there. That's about the size me wife had in mind. My eyes bigger than my back I think... Happy growing.
            We've got pretty good soil here, this spot I've been working for about 7 years now and it's finally working up good. Not sure what previous owner used it for but has always been hard as a rock. Real mello this year. Been putting on cattle manure every year. This year it got a bit of chicken manure. Got me a compost pile started with chicken and quail manure and grass clippings so I'll be set for next year. Need to use just goat manure because weed seeds get broken down in their rumen and won't grow. but I haven't had time to clean their pen up.

Every year I usually add a couple feet to the garden without telling the wife. This year I didn't and she looked at it and said, why did you make it bigger
            sigpic

Comment

Damn, that will keep ya busy.
              sigpic

Comment

Good looking garden Ryan. That 22'X80' is bigger than our entire back yard. Needless to say, we don't have room for a garden but would love to have the space again. Sometimes living in a subdivision sucks!
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Just wow. Holy crap man, that's HUGE!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My back hurts just reading about how much you have planted...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      My back hurts just reading about how much you have planted...

Exactly!!----Mine Too!!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I'm sure you will enjoy the rewards of your harvest. Gives you a sense of accomplishment for all the hard work put forth.
                        Ed

Smoke Vault 24
                        Vermont Castings Gas Grill
                        Thermoworks Smoke
                        The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
                        The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

That's a big one! Congrats for getting it tilled up bud! Can't wait to see all the good stuff coming out of that baby!
                          sigpic

Comment

wow...nice garden........I downsized and reseeded one of my little gardens. Probably will only can salsa this year...pickles and juice is going to come from DG and Costco
                            z
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

Better start sterilizing your jars now... that will be a bunch of produce!! very nice start! keep the pics coming as the year goes along!!
                              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                              Yoder YS640
                              Weber Genesis
                              Weber 18.5" Kettle
                              Weber Performer
                              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X