vacuum pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum pack

has anyone ever used a vacuum packer after the cure and suger have been put on as a dry cure. thought about doing this on belly pieces before putting in refer to cure. thanks

Welcome to the site. Let me start you out with some for your first post...I know that can be a big hurdle to get over.

I have used vac bags when curing, but not in the way you think. I didn't pull a full vacuum on it, In fact I left a bit of air in it so I could seal it up and have room to massage the cure / sugar and subsequent liquid around. Effectively I just used it to seal so that I didn't have a leak in the fridge.

Anymore, I save the vacuum bag and use a large (2 or 2.5 gallon) zipper plastic bag and put that in a roasting pan in case it were to leak...just burp most of the air out of it and it will mimic the use of a vac bag.

I find it best to have a bit of air in so you can move the cure / sugar around especially after the meat under cure purges some liquid.

Whatever way you decide to go, take some pics and let us see the results and process.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Like Dana, I like to use Zip-Locks.
      In fact we have a system here---Mrs Bear folds the tops over like a Pants Cuff, I put the TQ and Brown Sugar on & slide them in while she holds the bags open.
      Then I wash my hands & fold the tops back, squeeze most of the air out & Zip them up.

Then everything left is for me to do until it's ready to eat.

And Welcome Sockeye!!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

thanks, been lurking for quite awhile, have made several batches of both belly and canadian. the bell i used bearcarvers recipe and used pop's brine on the canadian. both turned out well. the wife likes the canadian best while i like the belly thanks again

Comment

from Kansas...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Great advise given. Yes you can, yes I have. Does it speed up the cure time...in theory yes but in reality minimal.

The only time I vacuum now is for a quick marinade not for curing. Ziplocks are cheaper.

Comment

i use vac bags but like Dana said i don't suck out all the air......i make 4-6 at a time so it makes it easy to stack them an not worry about leaks.
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
              X