Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got in a Pit Barrel Cooker. Smoke updates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OTROO View Post
    Cooked some burgers,bacon and some peppers on the smoker forgot to take pictures of the done bacon cause I ate it lol. Peppers are nice and dehydrated and has a good Smokey taste. I ate one that was not dehydrated all the way holy heck was it spicy. Gonna make some bomb ass salsa.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Looks like some good eats.
    sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
    American Legion Riders
    Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

So yesterday I smoked about a 5 pound pork loin. I spit it open and rubbed down with some Frenches yellow mustard and then I stuffed it with some garlic, Walla Walla sweet onion,dill,thyme and oregano. I put on top of that some berry sauce that my wife had and some hot sauce. I slathered the outsider down with mustard and rubbed it with Butt Rub.This my first time stuffing pork and I would have had more stuffing but I knocked the bowl with all my herbs in it on the floor and lost more then half the stuffing.

Comment

So yesterday I smoked about a 5 pound pork loin. I spit it open and rubbed down with some Frenches yellow mustard and then I stuffed it with some garlic, Walla Walla sweet onion,dill,thyme and oregano. I put on top of that some berry sauce that my wife had and some hot sauce. I slathered the outsider down with mustard and rubbed it with Butt Rub.This my first time stuffing pork and I would have had more stuffing but I knocked the bowl with all my herbs in it on the floor and lost more then half the stuffing.

Looks really delicious. Sorry to hear about the loss of stuffing.
        sigpic

American Legion Riders
        Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

So after a few cooks under your belt with the Pit Barrel Smoker, what are your impressions so far? I ask because I am seriously considering getting one, and have done a little research. Most people seem to love it, but it also seems to have a small group of real haters, who constantly insult everything about it. It seems to get more insults than any other Grill/Cooker/Smoker, and those who don't like it are often very passionate about their opinion.

I think it has to do with the whole concept of "Set it and Forget it" as many experienced cooks find that insulting. Many find enjoyment out of constantly adjusting vents, and babysitting the whole process to have more control over the final product. But I myself have no problem with loading the basket with charcoal, hanging several racks of ribs, and putting the cover on and not coming back for a few hours to check on the status. No need to worry about the exact temperature inside the barrel, just cook the food to the correct temperature and everything will come out great. At least that is what many say about its simplistic design and ease of use, especially for a beginner just getting into cooking.
          Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
          Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by emuleman View Post
            So after a few cooks under your belt with the Pit Barrel Smoker, what are your impressions so far? I ask because I am seriously considering getting one, and have done a little research. Most people seem to love it, but it also seems to have a small group of real haters, who constantly insult everything about it. It seems to get more insults than any other Grill/Cooker/Smoker, and those who don't like it are often very passionate about their opinion.

I think it has to do with the whole concept of "Set it and Forget it" as many experienced cooks find that insulting. Many find enjoyment out of constantly adjusting vents, and babysitting the whole process to have more control over the final product. But I myself have no problem with loading the basket with charcoal, hanging several racks of ribs, and putting the cover on and not coming back for a few hours to check on the status. No need to worry about the exact temperature inside the barrel, just cook the food to the correct temperature and everything will come out great. At least that is what many say about its simplistic design and ease of use, especially for a beginner just getting into cooking.
            I honestly do like it. It was weird to me on the first shoulder I cooked was like 8 to 10 lbs and it was done in just over 4 hours. I thought it would be tough or dry but it came out tasting really good. Burgers come out tasting great and so does the bacon lol. I need to work on the brisket though cause part of it tasted really good and another part tasted like good roast beef. The next one I will smoke by itself.

Comment

every time I see one of these oictures I think:'got to make one of those'.

Love the hang style cooking and results always look great.

It's on the list.

I've tried that byrons butt rub - you don't find it a tad salty ?
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I guess I'm one that doesn't understand the all the hype of these cookers.

They are nothing more than a modified 30 gal UDS and honestly I would rather have a UDS that the temp could be adjusted, than one that is preset to only run with one setting. Hell, just using a different brand of charcoal briqs or use lump charcoal will produce different cooking temps. And as for as cook time and having to adjust or play with temp all the time, that's one of the great features of any UDS, not just a PBC, in that once set they will run for hours without having to adjust them.
                Making hanging bars for the top is the matter of drilling a couple holes & cutting a couple pieces of re-bar.

I'm sorry but for the price I could buy a two or three 30 gal or 55 gal UDS's and mod them and for even less I could build a modded UDS that would be more versatile.

JWWFM-YMMV
                Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-25-2017, 06:18 AM.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post

They are nothing more than a modified 30 gal UDS and honestly I would rather have a UDS that the temp could be adjusted, than one that is preset to only run with one setting. Hell, just using a different brand of charcoal briqs or use lump charcoal will produce different cooking temps.
                  Making hanging bars for the top is the matter of drilling a couple holes & cutting a couple pieces of re-bar.

I'm sorry but for the price I could buy a two or three 30 gal or 55 gal UDS's and mod them and for even less I could build a modded UDS that would be more versatile.

JWWFM-YMMV
                  Yup. Not sure of the excitement over the PBs, butt I love my Webers.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Yup. Not sure of the excitement over the PBs, butt I love my Webers.
                    I have seen a couple Webers modded with hanging bars.

The only way I see a PBC as practical is if a person is too lazy or too clumsy to build or mod a UDS, or even drill a couple holes and mod a Weber.

JMHO
                    Jim

Comment

I have seen a couple Webers modded with hanging bars.

The only way I see a PBC as practical is if a person is too lazy or too clumsy to build or mod a UDS, or even drill a couple holes and mod a Weber.

JMHO
                      I don't need to hang for what i do. I don't see the benefit. No offense offered here, I'm just not a fan.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I understand many find it too expensive to pay for a Pit Barrel Cooker when you could make your own for less money. I also understand you can make a UDS that offers more flexibility for adjustments, and many with years of experience under their belts might want that, but bear in mind that the Pit Barrel Cooker isn't marketed or made for those type of customers.

It was designed as an entry level Grill/Smoker/Cooker that anyone can order, remove from the shipping box, and be cooking in less than a half an hour, with no adjustments or babysitting required for those who are novice and new to the hobby we all love. This cooker was designed this way on purpose, to attract new people to cooking outdoors, over a real charcoal fire, and produces very tasty food with minimal effort or skill. Just follow the basic instructions and you should be able to make some delicious meals that will impress your family and friends. Sure it lacks some of the features of a more expensive Grill/Smoker/Cooker, but that is the whole point. What is basic and too simplistic for the seasoned pro isn't necessarily a bad thing for a newbie, or as an additional unit for those who already have a Grill/Smoker/Cooker and are looking for the ability to cook more food at the same time. There is something to be said about simplicity and ease of use, and that is what was the main focus when they designed the PBC.

I definitely think the PBC has a place in the grilling and smoking world we all love. I also think it is unfair for so many to pass judgement on those who like or prefer to cook with them, as what is right for us personally isn't necessarily right for others. As long as people are smoking and grilling delicious and tasty food with it, and that it is introducing many new customers into outdoor cooking than would normally not be interested due to the complicated skill set that normally is required, I think it is a good thing. Would you not eat some delicious smoked baby back ribs that were cooked with it if invited to a neighbors house for an outdoor BBQ? Of course not. I also find it funny that the PBC seems to get the most harsh criticism over other simplistically designed electrical smokers that many pros would also consider too basic for them. Different strokes for different folks, and as long as people are cooking and enjoying food outdoors is the main point, and for that reason we should not be so critical towards it.

But hey, that is only my opinion, you might think otherwise.
                        Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
                        Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

They are nothing more than a modified 30 gal UDS and honestly I would rather have a UDS that the temp could be adjusted, than one that is preset to only run with one setting. Hell, just using a different brand of charcoal briqs or use lump charcoal will produce different cooking temps. And as for as cook time and having to adjust or play with temp all the time, that's one of the great features of any UDS, not just a PBC, in that once set they will run for hours without having to adjust them.

JWWFM-YMMV
                          I was going to build a UDS but for where I live I would have had to of ordered a drum no big deal but the shipping quotes were horrible. The other thing is I don't have a place to properly burn out a barrel. I'm Happy kind and to me its kind of a Chevy Ford kind of deal and to each their own.

Comment

Oh could you guys do me a favor and stop posting about it in my thread. This is just supposed my fun little place to post some cooks now I remember why I quit coming here for so long.

Comment

keep pumping out the food from that cooker............and keep posting them pics!
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I was going to build a UDS but for where I live I would have had to of ordered a drum no big deal but the shipping quotes were horrible. The other thing is I don't have a place to properly burn out a barrel. I'm Happy kind and to me its kind of a Chevy Ford kind of deal and to each their own.

Makes sense to me.
                                sigpic

American Legion Riders
                                Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Working...
                                X