Juniper for smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniper for smoke

We live in the part of California being over taken by Western Juniper. Can western juniper be used in a smoker and if so, what flavor smoke would it produce? Thanks!

Off the top of my head... HELL NO. Right next to pine and cedar. No sappy wood is a good idea.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Smoke with that stuff and hungry dogs won't eat it.
      Very bitter....

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Off the top of my head... HELL NO. Right next to pine and cedar. No sappy wood is a good idea.
        This is right...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Butttt the berries make a lovely Gin.....so I hear! But no, unless you like a bit of turpentine on yo chiggin!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

^^^^
            What they said, and I will add: The only thing worse you could use would be a railroad tie, or telephone pole.......
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Well, I'm very glad I asked! Guess we will keep cutting it down for firewood and to improve deer habitat. Stupid water sucking trees.

Comment

I use a few juniper berries when smoking a Black-Forest-style bacon; this is to substitute for the spruce that is commonly used in the wood blends over there when smoking cured pork.

It's kind of like using Brylcreem - just a little dab'll do ya ~ you don't need more than a dozen juniper berries in a loaded AMNPS, and 8 to 10 would probably be better.

Juniper wood? Nope....
                Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-06-2015, 02:51 PM.
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Working...
                X