Kingsford Applewood PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingsford Applewood PSA

OK went to the local market and they were out of charcoal. The only thing they had was Kingsford applewood charcoal.

I used the top down ignition method and got such a bad taste that we couldn't eat what I cooked. I have never had a problem with any charcoal giving a real bad taste. So if you are thinking of buying a bag of these don't. I hope this helps
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

Ouch - the idea of Kingsford Apple looked interesting, until I read your report!

I have used their hickory and mesquite, and they have been good. Looks like they might have missed the mark with this one. Too bad, because it would have been a good idea....

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ron
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Ouch! Never seen that around here, butt if I do, I'll pass it buy. Never been a Kingsford fan anyway...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Bricks in general... are on my shit list. OK..I’ll use them...fully lit. NEVER with a snake/minion. You may be able to use the rest of the bag... no food until grey.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've always liked Stubb's briqs best - all 100% natural hardwood and as I recall no starchy fillers etc. I've only had a couple-three bags available to me, but it was some of the best-tasting barbecue I ever made, and no huge piles of ash. If I ever see that stuff in the aisles again, I'll buy it all up, regardless of what the wife says in protest.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
            I've always liked Stubb's briqs best - all 100% natural hardwood and as I recall no starchy fillers etc. I've only had a couple-three bags available to me, but it was some of the best-tasting barbecue I ever made, and no huge piles of ash. If I ever see that stuff in the aisles again, I'll buy it all up, regardless of what the wife says in protest.
            Yeah, Stubb's was my go to, then about a year or two ago, it turned to crap... bad batch I guess. Been using Royal Oak with much success...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              NEVER with a snake/minion.
              The key is to pre heat them with the snake lit to burn off the.....whatever it is......that makes the bad fumes/smell. Only takes a few minutes and once that's done they're GTG. They do produce a lot of ash though.
              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Yeah, Stubb's was my go to, then about a year or two ago, it turned to crap... bad batch I guess. Been using Royal Oak with much success...
                I've used the red bag RO with moderate success, but if one can get their hands on the green bag (I think it is called RO "Steak House") that is the stuff, right there. Incredible aroma when using it.
                Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-26-2016, 11:58 AM.
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                  The key is to pre heat them with the snake lit to burn off the.....whatever it is......that makes the bad fumes/smell. Only takes a few minutes and once that's done they're GTG. They do produce a lot of ash though.
                  Interesting..so let it go a half hour before meat? Hmmm... And yeah...you need a big ash-hole. Just saying
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I think that's the key rich. I see the blue bag pretty much exclusively in my kettles, offset and drum. I always wait for that crazy locomotive stack looking smoke to burn off before I put the food on. It take that long for the temps to settle anyway for me so I actually like it. It is consistent so I know what to expect from it as far as temps and burn time go. I'll venture out of that comfort zone one day and try other stuff eventually.
                    Weber Smoky Joe
                    18" Weber Silver
                    22.5" Weber Gold
                    22.5" Weber Silver
                    UDS X 2
                    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                    Blackstone three burner flat top
                    5" AMZNPS
                    Vortex x 2
                    Maverick ET 73
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                    Pitmaster iQue 110
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree guys the bad flavor comes from unlit coals when I need to add coals for a longer smoke I use my chimney starter and then add those hot coals to the firebox if not nasty tasting meat.
                      Believe me I can taste it when somebody doesn't do that extra effort

Comment

I've used it in my UDS and didn't have any issues. I definitely prefer the Kingsford Comp though as it has better heat, consistency, and flavor

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo95 View Post
                          I've used it in my UDS and didn't have any issues. I definitely prefer the Kingsford Comp though as it has better heat, consistency, and flavor
                          Never used the apple wood but I'm with you on the Kingsford Comp. Haven't used it much in the UDS since I have been able to get RO lump but it wasn't too bad in there. I use it a lot on the kettle.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Bricks in general... are on my shit list. OK..I’ll use them...fully lit. NEVER with a snake/minion. You may be able to use the rest of the bag... no food until grey.
                            I am right there with you Rich, if i have to use brick i lite them in a chimney and dump them in
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Interesting..so let it go a half hour before meat? Hmmm... And yeah...you need a big ash-hole. Just saying
                              Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                              I always wait for that crazy locomotive stack looking smoke to burn off before I put the food on.
                              Yup, that's it right there. Only difference is when you start a minion you won't see nearly as much of the smoke stack effect but you will smell it. You can tell by when the smell goes away when it's ready for food. I cover my kettle with the vents wide open until the smell goes away then adjust vents and throw the food on.
                              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X