so i got my first stick burner... school me on firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i got my first stick burner... school me on firebox

So i got my first stick burner. Down the road I plan to buy a yoder ys1500 but thats about 2-3 years away.

So i got a cheap brinkmann trailmaster limited edition. The companys bankrupt now so they give them away basically at home depot to clear out inventory. I actually picked up two of them.

Anyways... i did some mods after reading the forums. Pickup up a real nice baffle plate kit, sealed the whole thing with hi temp silicone, installed gaskets for firebox lid and cook chamber lid. Got some toggle clamps to seal them real tight. So it brings it up a level or two. It's almost time to season it and test it out which leads me to some questions to ask you pros since i'm a newbie.

I noticed which this smoker a lot of guys built expanded steel boxes (minion boxes they nickname them) and feed bricket wood coals to them or mix in chunks of wood. I assume maybe fire and heat management is easier this way?

See i have a face cord of split hickory wood not small chunks of wood. If i run regular split logs is heat management gonna be a pain in the u know what? The baffle plates supposedly work good for even heat but I wonder if a whole split log is going to be way too much.

Also how do you guys light them? With a charcoal chimney then place wood on it or?

Worst case I could cut the wood into chunks but thats a pain. Not even sure how i'd do it. I have a badass compound miter saw that could maybe rip thru them but not even sure how safe that is lol.

So really i'm looking for some advice on firebox management and best practices. I realize good heat management on a high end unit with thicker gauge metal is easier but i'm looking to make the best with what i have right now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gerard143; 06-30-2016, 08:10 PM.

Some very good questions...
    And most folks are gonna tell ya that the only way to run this cooker is just as you described...With a charcoal basket and wood chunks for smoke...And indeed this way is a lot easier than what I have done in the past...

With my old Chargriller Smokin pro I would use it as a true stick burner...It takes a lot more tending but produces a lot better flavor in the finished product...

I used no basket at all...Would start with a chimney full of lit lump charcoal and added smaller splits of wood to the coals...Keeping airflow at a maximum is important to keeping the wood burning...Not smoldering...This is key to getting the best smoke flavor possible...The trick is to keep the bed of coals large enough to ignite the wood yet small enough enough that you aren't pinching down the air intake to bring down the temp...And that is why it is such a PIA...But once you get the hang of it you will never want it any other way...

PM me if you have questions...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      keeping the wood burning...Not smoldering...This is key to getting the best smoke flavor possible...The trick is to keep the bed of coals large enough to ignite the wood yet small enough enough that you aren't pinching down the air intake to bring down the temp...And that is why it is such a PIA...But once you get the hang of it you will never want it any other way...

PM me if you have questions...

thats interesting. I figured it would be the opposite. See the only smoking i've done is with my propane grill and the a-maze-n pellet smoker box. The pellets I keep smoldering not flaming to keep the smoke blue. Seems the second it flames you get white smoke. So pellets are a diff animal then and the same rules don't apply when I'm using actual wood?

Comment

That miter saw will make some perfect chunks. I am still waiting for mine to return from a friend who was doing some door trim 6 months ago.

I also have a chop saw with a 12 inch wood blade .

Comment

Originally posted by gerard143 View Post
          thats interesting. I figured it would be the opposite. See the only smoking i've done is with my propane grill and the a-maze-n pellet smoker box. The pellets I keep smoldering not flaming to keep the smoke blue. Seems the second it flames you get white smoke. So pellets are a diff animal then and the same rules don't apply when I'm using actual wood?
          The truth is when my stick burner is running properly there is little to no smoke that can be seen...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I’d suggest a charcoal basket and smaller chunks of wood. Or, you could go straight wood but will need skinnier shorter chunks...and feed often. I don’t think you got the room for a nice coal bed in that box... hence the charcoal basket suggestion. Guess some overall pix would help.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

First off..you are taking about grams of wood particles - not pounds. Dunno why you’d get the heavier smoke if your pellets burn tho. Anyway... it’s all about airflow capacity. A larger cooker can support a larger fire. Yer gonna have to play with it, and figger it out. Charcoal will help..giving you the coal bed for the heat you may not be able to control using all flame/wood.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                First off..you are taking about grams of wood particles - not pounds. Dunno why you’d get the heavier smoke if your pellets burn tho. Anyway... it’s all about airflow capacity. A larger cooker can support a larger fire. Yer gonna have to play with it, and figger it out. Charcoal will help..giving you the coal bed for the heat you may not be able to control using all flame/wood.
                It can be done and it is worth it...

Charcoal basket is easier...I wont argue that point...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I’d suggest a charcoal basket and smaller chunks of wood. Or, you could go straight wood but will need skinnier shorter chunks...and feed often. I don’t think you got the room for a nice coal bed in that box... hence the charcoal basket suggestion. Guess some overall pix would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHGntTENkk heres a video i found that shows the smoker well.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHGntTENkk heres a video i found that shows the smoker well.
                    Ahh OK..I have an original one of those actually. Mine’s .25 inch steel, and was an “Okie Joe” product when B bought them out

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...61111#poststop

The coal basket is a blessing. Yes..I have run all wood, and it can be done but as I mentioned..it’s daunting.

Comment

Get a fire started. Build up a few coals. Add the hardwood and let it burn down. Get your coal bed down to where you want your temps to be. Then add wood as needed. Adding wood will create some extra smoke in the beginning but will settle down over time. The key, as others have stated, is keeping a good air flow while also keeping your temp within reason.

You should get some cheap meat like a butt, ribs, or chuck roast to experiment with.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

awesome thanks for the tips guys

Comment

so i got my first stick burner... school me on firebox

No worries. Takes a lot more work but the taste is like none other. Keep it dialed in around 240-250. Just tend it to keep the temp, nothing too hot.a little goes a long way.keep the temp right, be patient. The perfect meat will show its face eventually.
                          Last edited by jwbtulsa; 07-02-2016, 11:51 AM.
                          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Maybe easiest to start with a good big charcoal basket and feeding it with royal oak lump ( buy several bags , you'll use them ) . Get it good and hot to get that new paint smell gone . Then you will start learning air flow and temp control . After that it should just be a matter of using more splits each time you cook on it until you find what works best for you .
                            Just my opinion and worth no more that what you paid for it

Good luck and have fun
                            Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

I go her fired up as we speak. Chunked some wood down on the miter saw. Worked good. Couple times she grabbed and scared the shit outta me lol but I got the hang of it. I got some lump charcoal. 18lb bag from lowes for $15. Also got some of those lighter cubes 24 for $3. Man it worked awesome in the Weber chimney. A breeze to get it going. Don't have a expanded steel box yet so set some window screen down on the grates, dumped the lit charcoal on and tossed some hickory on. Heat management seems to be going well. Keeping her at a steady 200 for 2 hours... I am 1.5 hrs in. Coated interior with oil and letting her cure. Then it's ribs time. My lid is bent near the handle area. I have to fix that still so little bit of leakage. But paid $50 new with a bent lid that I can fix so I'm happy. Excited to eat later off this. This is exciting. I did just order the charcoal box and a stainless steel water pan for this model off bbqsmokermods. Happy Holiday weekend everyone!

Oh and if anyone sees this post in the couple of hours or so and wants to toss me some rib cooking tips i'd be glad to read em! babyback's i have on there. times and temps? 250 or so for 3 hours? start meat side up? when do i flip?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by gerard143; 07-02-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X