How cold is to cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold is to cold

Hi everyone i love this forum as i am new to the smoking thing. And i love it. I just wanted to see what the opinion of how cold would be to cold to smoke cheese? As i live in canada and right now the temp is about -15 to -20 degrees c right now. Would this be to cold or just have to smoke it longer. I have a 40" MES GEN 2.5 and an AMPS for the smoke.

Yes that is cold....I thought it was bad here at -5. My advice is try it.

Me personally would be looking at the smoker from inside a warm house.......

My take on it is the cheese you are smokeing is going to start out at 40 to 80 (room temp) once added to a smoker that has some sort of smoke going on, it will take on smoke and take a while before it would get below freezing temps.

Comment

Having been raised in Arizona I'm not the World's authority on cold temps bhut I would think at -20° you would have to add some heat or you will have cheesecicles before you know it. Last I heard smoke doesn't stick too well to ice.
      Be careful with the heat though or you will join the ranks of Richtee Cheese Smokers Anonymous...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

All I can say is my MES 40 used to work Great down to & below Zero.

These last few years it doesn't work below +20°, but I think it's because nobody's out there to plug it in !!!

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Welcome aboard from coastal Virginia, glad i dropped in
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Well i put the cheese in the bbq and my AMPS smoked it for 6 hours put one burner on for an hour it looks like it all came out nice. It smells smoky so will have to see in 2 weeks how it tastes. Not to much color but some. I did some pepper jack some havarty and some aged chedder. I will try to post some pics when i vac pack it all. Thx for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex View Post
              As i live in canada and right now the temp is about -15 to -20 degrees c right now.
              Warm compared to MI... Jeez get out and cook
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hope this works but here is a pic of the finished cheese.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yep, that's cheese alright...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex View Post
                    Hope this works but here is a pic of the finished cheese.
                    Looks like it work pretty darn good to me!
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm doing a butt here in The People's Republic of Taxistan (Maryland) @ -5.
                      We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel

Comment

cheese colour looks spot on.

bear in mind the crap you buy in the shops has been sprayed with smoke flavoured skunk juice. That's whay it's always brown and has that horribkle rubbery skin. Home smoked cheese is a totally different animal (think unicorn farts rather than skunk) and has a really mellow smokey flavour.

-25 !
                        holy crap, that's too cold for me :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That color is pretty good. It will depend on your taste. For light thin smoke, 3 hours is good. Thicker heavier smoke requires less time unless you like the strong flavor and darker color. My friends all like both and or mix the two. Good 1st time!
                          sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                          Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                          Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                          Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                          fire pit in the yard
                          10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                          Maverick ET73, ET732.
                          A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                          MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Ya i think it turned out good i like a little heaver smoke flavor. And today with the windchill it was -39 celcus. I love my MES 40 gen 2.5. I smoked some armidilo eggs at -30 it had no problem keeping temp it works very well.

Comment

Working...
                            X