My First Cheese Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Cheese Smoke

I've got some sharp cheddar smoking away in my Mes-30 as I write. I only had hickory pellets so hopefully the taste won't be too strong. I originally bought the AMNPS which didn't work because of my altitude (Denver area) but A-MAZE-N sent me the tube model which seems to be working better. Thanks Todd for excellent customer service. I look forward to some delicious cheese. I'd love to hear what kinds of cheese others like and white kind of pellets you're using. I'd also like to try smoking some salmon.

I have both and also think the tube works best for me, I've used Hickory, Cherry,and Pecan for cheese and all were good the hardest part is waiting for it
    to age a little after the smoke but it's well worth the wait.
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Seems to be going well. Only problem I notice is that the Mes-30 is getting a little warm (87 or 88 degrees.) I tried putting some ice in the smokewhich didn't seem to help. I decided to crack the door. I figure it should still get enough smoke. The cheese is on the top rack and the AMNTS is near the bottom sitting on top of the heating element. I'd appreciate any other suggestions for keeping the temp down. The tube smoker is the 12-18 inch Model retracted to 12 inches.

Comment

I always use hickory when smoking cheddar cheese.

You'll want to let it set for at least two weeks before you eat any though. In a zip loc or vac packed in the fridge. It's a bit strong otherwise.
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

87 or 88 degrees? Don't worry about it...It'll be OK...

In my opinion adding ice just adds humidity which does nothing positive...IMO!
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Heat does rise so you may want to drop it down a shelf or two if it starts getting excessively soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got it in a Tupperware container sealed with foil with the top on. I don't have a vacuum sealer. I figure the safest thing is just to let the AMNTS burn itself out in the smoker. This is the first time I've used it.

Comment

Mix a little of the lump "crumbs" from the bottom of the bag with your pellets, it will help keep your pellets lit.

Personally I prefer cherry for a cheese smoke but it's a personal preference thing.
                Bored Guy Blog

Comment

I always use Hickory with cheddar cheese, but like Jailer says, personal preference.
                  If I were worried about the temps I'd probably crack the door a bit. I know some will leak but your tube produces more than enough smoke to flavor the cheese.
                  Just my $.02 worth.
                  Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  Husker Red UDS V.2014
                  22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
                  40" MES V. 2
                  British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
                  Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                    Mix a little of the lump "crumbs" from the bottom of the bag with your pellets, it will help keep your pellets lit.

Personally I prefer cherry for a cheese smoke but it's a personal preference thing.
                    Hickory was all I had at the time but I think it'll be pretty good. I had a little taste before I put the cheese in the fridge. A-MAZE-n sells a mix of apple, cherry, and pecan (I think) and I'm going to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Courser View Post
                      I always use Hickory with cheddar cheese, but like Jailer says, personal preference.
                      If I were worried about the temps I'd probably crack the door a bit. I know some will leak but your tube produces more than enough smoke to flavor the cheese.
                      Just my $.02 worth.
                      That's what I did and it seemed to work fine. The temp was getting into the upper 80's and the cheese was sweating. I wouldn't have wanted it to get much hotter. I don't know if I can wait two weeks. I'll give it a taste in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by chipj40 View Post
                        Seems to be going well. Only problem I notice is that the Mes-30 is getting a little warm (87 or 88 degrees.) I tried putting some ice in the smokewhich didn't seem to help. I decided to crack the door. I figure it should still get enough smoke. The cheese is on the top rack and the AMNTS is near the bottom sitting on top of the heating element. I'd appreciate any other suggestions for keeping the temp down. The tube smoker is the 12-18 inch Model retracted to 12 inches.

All you need to do is fill a plastic Jug 3/4 full of water & freeze it.

Then you can keep the heat down without adding any humidity to your Smoker.

See Below Pic:

Bear

Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          All you need to do is fill a plastic Jug 3/4 full of water & freeze it.

Then you can keep the heat down without adding any humidity to your Smoker.

See Below Pic:

Bear

Thanks for this great tip, Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by chipj40 View Post
                            I don't know if I can wait two weeks. I'll give it a taste in a week.
                            I recommend not cheating. I did and it was not a pleasant experience. Kind of like licking an ashtray.

Trust me, it will taste much better after two weeks than one.
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

does depend how heavy the smoke is.
                              I like mine fairly light, so it's edible after about 3 days but better after a week.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X