Buckboard bacon left out all night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckboard bacon left out all night

Hey guys. Unfortunately I made a bone head move last night. I pulled the bacon from the smoker at roughly 7:30 PM. I set it on the counter to cool down before I put it in the fridge. Well I forgot to put it in the fridge until I woke up at about 6:30 this morning. Do you think it will be alright? Or do I need to toss it?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are better technical minds around here than mine.

However I would say since it has been cured and Smoked for some time, leaving it on your counter for 11 hours would't be much different than putting it in the Smoker for another 11 hours.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

yep perfectly safe.

It's been cured, smoked and partially dried.
      Unless it's got mold on it and parts have turned bilious green - no worries :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Great! Thanks guys. I felt like a dough head. Glad I don't have to waste it.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what temp you cooked it to. If you just cold smoked it, then it's fine. But if you took it to 'cooked' temperatures the cure is no longer a factor and I'd be pretty wary of it.

edit to add: That said, me personally, I'd probably still eat it.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

I took it to 140° internal.

Comment

Thats a little more than cold smoking.....

I will wait until I get some backup. I think at 140 internal the nitrates have begun to break down. For sure they did on the surface.

Where are the food safety scientist when you need them.

I know my answer....is try again

Comment

Yeah..that’s a tough call. What cure did ya use? If it was TQ I’d feel better about it.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

It was the pre mix from hi mountain. It says in the ingredients sodium nitrite (0.7%).

Comment

Originally posted by grundy53 View Post
                    It was the pre mix from hi mountain. It says in the ingredients sodium nitrite (0.7%).
                    YEah nitrite’s the quickest to bail out. TQ has part nitrate which hangs out longer.

I hate to say anything. But I’d fry up a slice
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

As Rich posted, that is a tough call. Since it went to 140° if should be treated as uncured product. It should (from school) be brought from 140° to 40° or lower in six hours or less. (140 to 70° in 2 ans 70 to 39 in 4 hours) But that rule is primarily for soup or stock.

On the other hand, who hasn't had cold pizza left on the counter overnight (covered)?
                      And as bacon, it will be cooked again before eating.
                      It's iffy but I would keep it, try it myself before sharing.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll just call it my immunity boosting bacon... haha. It'll definitely be my private stock. Thank you everyone for the insite. I made another batch before the one in question yesterday and two more to smoke today. So I will have plenty of bacon either way. One is in the smoker right now. I better not forget again.

Comment

Working...
                        X