Cowgirl Hannah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowgirl Hannah

We adopted Hannah from the shelter on 12/9/2006. The shelter found her in the country and didn’t know much other than she was tough, scared, and wild. They kept her for several months without even listing her for adoption…in fact they confided in us that they didn’t know if she was adoptable. When I met Hannah, I knew that she just needed someone with patience and a steady hand of discipline to love her and work with her. Mrs. Engineer visited the shelter and Hannah was in her dog house and wouldn’t come out. Mrs. Engineer sat down on the kennel floor and refused to leave. Within 10 minutes Hannah was sticking her head out of her dog house looking at Mrs. Engineer and in another 5 Mrs. Engineer was petting her. We both saw the same potential, and Mrs. Engineer was completely on board. Since she was finishing up her MBA, she had a lot of time at home to spend with Hannah. When we picked her up from the shelter, there was a little old man that volunteered there, and he made Mrs. Engineer promise to take good care of Hannah, because she was a special dog and was his favorite (he saw her potential too).

Hannah blossomed into a beautiful dog that looked at us as if we hung the moon, and she completely changed my views of what a dog could be and what a dog was capable of. She was a fierce protector of our property and a guardian angel for Mrs. Engineer…I have frequently said if you have anything worth protecting you need a Cattle Dog…Hannah was all business. As Cattle Dogs will do, Hannah chose Mrs. Engineer as her “person” and was constantly on the job watching over Mrs. Engineer…If I went to sit beside Mrs. Engineer on the couch, I would see a blur as a 40 lb chunk of muscle and fur launched through the air to land between us. She would give me a smowl (a growl as she smiled at me) as if to say you can sit here, but don’t you even think about any funny business! Like it or not, Mrs. Engineer had a 40 lb shadow with adoring eyes…Mrs. Engineer would take a shower, Hannah would curl up on the mat to wait for her. Mrs. Engineer would go in the other room, Hannah would too. Mrs. Engineer would take laundry to the laundry room, Hannah would clear it first. Mrs. Engineer broke her leg, Hannah stayed by her side only leaving to eat and potty, then it was back on duty. She knew Mrs. Engineer had a hurt leg, and would lick her toes as they stuck out of the cast. What a fantastic Nurse to have by your side.

Hannah was sweet and affectionate to our family and our friends, smart as a whip, tough as an alligator, and fast as a lightning bolt. She guarded our yard and our house like a storm trooper…seriously, I haven’t set my home alarm during the day for the last 11 years…I just figured that if you had the nuts to break in, you kind of deserved your punishment. The first time we took Hannah to the vet, he told us to be sure and watch her because her body would give out long before her drive would. Cattle Dogs are bred to be tough…if a grumpy cow kicks them, their solution is to come back twice as hard…because of this when they show signs of distress, it is usually really bad. The last few weeks Hannah had visible signs of distress so we knew the end was near. Hannah died in Mrs. Engineer’s arms on July 5th.

The next time you have a cold drink in hand, please join me in a salute to a once in a lifetime best friend…Cowgirl Hannah.

BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Oh man..... So sorry to read this Dana! We adopted a shelter pup aboot 1.5 year ago, the wife was the one in charge. That dog will not leave her side/feet if she is home, and he knows everything that's going on inside/around the house, and lets us know if somebody is in the driveway, deer in backyard, etc. We had never had a dog together, and he has turned into another addition to the family.

So sorry to hear this. Raising a toast right now.

RIP :(
    sigpic

Comment

I got a glass to tip for Hanna. Know how it hurts, lost both of mine the last six months.
      She always gonna have a place in your heart......
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well just... Damn...

Truly sorry to hear this, Dana... Having been a past Cattle Dog owner I understand exactly what you say... They are loyal to a fault & show no pain until they have to...

My thoughts are with you & Mrs. Engineer...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

I'm so sorry Dana...I know the emotions that you and the Mrs are dealing with right now...I only got to see the cowgirls for a brief moment but I knew they were special...Losing a part of the family is never easy...Give your wife a hug and tell here that Craig and Lena love her...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss.
            Jim

Comment

Awesome story.Its hard to say who gets saved when you take a shelter dog home.When Rambo's time is up it will be a sad day.
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

So sorry to hear this.
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Dogs steal our hearts and become such big parts of our families. Very sorry for your loss.
                  z
                  sigpic
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  UDS
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                  Vision Kamado grill
                  Weber Genesis Silver
                  Smokin Tex
                  MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                  2 orange ThermoPops
                  A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                  A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                  Vortex

Comment

I believe the Lord blessed you with that time with her. Nothing will replace her but her spirit lives based on the affectionate love she showed because you saved her life. Rest in Peace Hanna
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

So sorry to read this, my condolences to you and the Mrs.
                      I am currently saluting Cowgirl Hannah...
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

As soon as I saw the title I was afraid this would be the topic. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy losing a pet especially one that you have such a close and special bond with.
                        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Godspeed Hannah. Salute!
                          A few of my favorite things:
                          Good Whiskey
                          Good Food
                          Bad Girls
                          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

sorry to hear Dana, i've had the pleasure to live with one and like ice said they are great dogs and very loyal. Hanna was as lucky as you and your family were to have her.
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Sorry to hear you lost your fur baby. I consider my pets family and guess you do as well. It is never easy to lose family, you have my condolences.
                              sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                              American Legion Riders
                              Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Working...
                              X