This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Kettle Perimeter Ring Of Fire Method

First time doing this for me. Worked excellent & will probably be my personal method of choice for longer cooks & consistent temps. Started by placing 4 lit briquettes at the start of the ring, this was not enough as the temps wanted to be at 215, so I lit up 3 more & placed them on also & it rose up to 205 in aboot 15 minutes. Held 230-260 the whole time with 90% of the time right around 250. Every 1.5 hour or so, the temp would start a slow decline from the 250 range. I could not see the air openings, but I'm guessing some ash was starting to build up slowing air flow, so I gently swept the cleaner in an attempt to not put ash into the air & moved the airflow to wide open for 10 minutes+- & the temps would go back up to the 250 range, then I moved the control back to the area where I marked & it would stay right at 250 for about 1.5 hour

When the internal temps were about 150 I estimated that I might not have enough briquettes to finish, so I started a "reverse snake" .... Meaning, the briquettes were burning clockwise from the starting point & I set up more briquettes at the area of the fire to burn counter clockwise to provide enough heat to finish the cook. It worked perfectly with no temp spikes or anything. Give it a try

sigpic

Hmmm interesting. Altho... I still do not like the smell of bricks starting up. Did you notice any of that in the taste?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Hmmm interesting. Altho... I still do not like the smell of bricks starting up. Did you notice any of that in the taste?
      I dont Rich, but I guess some do. Been using K forever so used to the taste when finished. Tried Stubbs and didnt like it. R O is next. Some love K and some think its awful as you know. As IC mentioned in another thread, lump might not work well for this butt might be worth a shot? You know me, just gotta be cooking and trying different stuff. I think its called ADD.
      sigpic

Comment

Seems to be the topic of the day. I for one notice no taste influence at all. Granted I have all of one smoke doing it this way . I guess regardless the method it's all minion meaning charcoal is lighting up during the cook anyhoo.
        Weber Smoky Joe
        18" Weber Silver
        22.5" Weber Gold
        22.5" Weber Silver
        UDS X 2
        Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
        Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
        Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
        Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
        Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
        Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
        Blackstone three burner flat top
        5" AMZNPS
        Vortex x 2
        Maverick ET 73
        Maverick ET 732
        Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
        Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
        Pitmaster iQue 110
        sigpic

Comment

I use this method in me Weber with the Smoke-EZ attachment, using RO briquets. No nastiness in flavor at all... nice, steady heat.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            I dont Rich, but I guess some do. Been using K forever so used to the taste when finished. Tried Stubbs and didnt like it. R O is next. Some love K and some think its awful as you know. As IC mentioned in another thread, lump might not work well for this butt might be worth a shot? You know me, just gotta be cooking and trying different stuff. I think its called ADD.
            Well...keep at it, man. We ALL learn from you :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well...keep at it, man. We ALL learn from you :{)

We all learn together. Its really pretty cool that on this site, there is a pretty "tight" group that has been together for several years going back to a different forum ..... It seems that posts go in "waves" and a lot is learned as we go through these "waves". Like burning methods, Tri Tip, Tatonka Dust, canning salsa, etc..... Love to learn and hope to inspire others to try stuff.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                We all learn together. Its really pretty cool that on this site, there is a pretty "tight" group that has been together for several years going back to a different forum ..... It seems that posts go in "waves" and a lot is learned as we go through these "waves". Like burning methods, Tri Tip, Tatonka Dust, canning salsa, etc..... Love to learn and hope to inspire others to try stuff.
                You are one of the first and foremost contributors here Scott... I look forward to your posts. You always have an outside the box twist, and I really appreciate the creativity you have, and that you are willing to share.

You rock sir!

Hell. To. The. Phucking. Yea!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Good stuff! THERE Myron!...I use K It just works for me & never stinky...I do get it bad hot fo' the gig goes down!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    You always have an outside the box twist
                    Understatement of the year, right there.

Hostess Chocolate Cupcake Fatty, anyone?

and I really appreciate the creativity you have, and that you are willing to share.
                    Very true.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice Tut. there,Codswallup.Looks like it was a late one. Pretty slick setup.
                      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

outstanding, scott, and exactly what i had in mind when my interest in the WK was renewed recently.

as for briquettes starting up, i've been thinking about that:

when i simply toss new briqs in the firebox, i do get an off-smell, and possibly taste (also, it seems i get some "non-cooking" darkening of the meat, it's not soot or creosote, but SOMEthing). however, when i shove all the lit, burning coals in the charcoal basket over close to the firebox, then add unlit briqs to the opposite end (not touching), the new briqus get time to "come up to heat" before any combustion takes place. they burn much cleaner, and there aren't any of the negative side effects mentioned above.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

You are one of the first and foremost contributors here Scott... I look forward to your posts. You always have an outside the box twist, and I really appreciate the creativity you have, and that you are willing to share.

You rock sir!

Hell. To. The. Phucking. Yea!
                          Couldn't have said it better. And I thank you for what you do for us, every day.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Good deal Scotty! Like most everyone here has already said, you have brought a LOT of kettle knowledge to a LOT of us kettle users over the last little while, and I've seen a lot of innovation come from others because you led the charge in kettle "smoke grilling", causing a bunch of us to join in the kettle movement, and experiment on our own, and share that knolwedge along side you. I have turned off my quest for a dedicated back yard smoker for when I don't want or need to drag out my Lang because now I have the confidence to do it on the kettle. Now I have two with my latest C/L score!
                            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                            Weber Performer
                            Weber 22.5" OTG
                            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Bumped for DeerSpy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X