My first smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first smoke

Got this today to christen my new smoker in a few weeks when I'm on vacation. Any tips appreciated?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

think you got a fine gig started!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
      think you got a fine gig started!
      Thanks i hope i dont ruin it

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Shoot View Post
        Thanks i hope i dont ruin it

you good...plenty of help/advice here...fixin to throw 6 game hens in da smoker...Cheers!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thinkin you and your butt will be just fine...

Just do it...Plenty of teaching here...Just read...Or ask...We love to help...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

You got it!
            sigpic

Comment

The best advice I ever got with pork butts was to make sure to put a pan underneath it, or smoke it in a pan. The juices(liquid gold) that come out of those bad boys once de-fatted and mixed back in with the pulled product is to die for.

Comment

225-245* till meat gets to 200 or bone pulls out with ease if you do not have a thermometer. Some like to wrap up at 165, but I like to go uncovered, collect juices and add back to the meat..Good luck!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

First off Welcome.

What kind of smoker?

Have you tested it? New smokers need to burn production crud before being used.

I also recommend "Playing with it" before a real cook.. Get to know your temps how long it takes to heat up. How long it takes to recover temp when you open the door etc.

Also test your thermometers TODAY.

All this actually contributes to enjoying the experience.

Comment

Hi Shoot,

Here's a Step by Step on a Pulled Pork Butt.

You're welcome to use any or all tips in it:
                    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21576

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

All good advice here. Key is to smoke/ cook by temp and not time. You don't need the fanciest thermometers to get started but you will in time learn how your equipment operates. That will allow you to relax and not worry so much about technology. Although personally, I just enjoy buying stuff I don't really need. Boston Butts are a really good way to learn the art as they lend themselves to a wide range without ruining them. The 225-240 range is good for butts. They are not always as rendered if you blast them with a hot and fast method. Bearcarver always posts really informative threads and tutorials from his cooks. Check out his link. Although he cooks primarily in electric systems and I am a true stick burner, the fundamentals are the same.

Thaw it two days before the cook. Apply your rub the night before the cook. Typically the butts are not dense enough to support injecting flavors (no puns!) as they have plenty of fat to support the muscle membrane. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit until the morning of the cook.

If it cooks longer than expected, well, welcome to the club. If it finishes to early prior to the meal then consider a holding method. Some call it a texas crutch, faux cambro, cooler method. Ultimately, its an insulated container method for hold hot food with minimal interior air space. Old towels work well as they are easily washed. My buddy used old pillows but I think they are disgusting. Just sayin'...

Best of luck and keep us posted. Lots of folks are happy to chime in. Some of us reply only when we have chewed though a bit of bourbon but in general the advice is spot on. Welcome to the club.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                      X