No announcement yet.

Stuffer info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've researched enough that I don't want cableas. Seems parts are hard to come by and gears strip very easy.

The LEM seems to be the most solid built. I've been expecting 700$ on 1 of these stuffers as I'm not considering a hand crank. I do not quiet need commercial though. I have a big meat saw and a 3hp meat Grinder. Think it's rated to grind 53# a minute. Just to big and to fast to try and stuff out of cause I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
      I've researched enough that I don't want cableas. Seems parts are hard to come by and gears strip very easy.

The LEM seems to be the most solid built. I've been expecting 700$ on 1 of these stuffers as I'm not considering a hand crank. I do not quiet need commercial though. I have a big meat saw and a 3hp meat Grinder. Think it's rated to grind 53# a minute. Just to big and to fast to try and stuff out of cause I tried it.
      I use my meat grinder as a stuffer and it works very well for us, but I have a foot control switch to control the on/off speed. I also have a helper feeding the grinder as I stuff the casings .... This doesn't work for all here but I'm happy with it.... I also have a 5 pounder for the short work

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
        I use my meat grinder as a stuffer and it works very well for us, but I have a foot control switch to control the on/off speed. I also have a helper feeding the grinder as I stuff the casings .... This doesn't work for all here but I'm happy with it.... I also have a 5 pounder for the short work
        I use to use my #12 grinder attachment on my mixer for stuffing I used a foot control and stuffing plate. It worked great for summer sausage, and larger 32mm casings, I seem to remember trying some smaller size like 21mm but did not work real well.

I still am on the lookout for an FDick stuffer to add to the arsenal.

Comment

I only have a 5lber and no problem on sticks.

But what I have done is made my stick stuffer tubes a lot shorter to reduce the back pressure. They also fit inside the 21 & 19mm collagen casing, so you can still knock out long lengths.

Happy to make you some pet-g custom tubes.

Been using mine for about 4 years now, same ones no hassle.

The other thing to look for in an electric are longer narrower, hoppers (what do you call the bit the meat goes in ?) as they'll require less pressure to stuff than the shorter wider ones.

It's all down to the proportion of the main cylinder to the size of the hole the sausage actually gets squeezed through. The smaller the difference the easier it'll stuff.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            I only have a 5lber and no problem on sticks.

But what I have done is made my stick stuffer tubes a lot shorter to reduce the back pressure. They also fit inside the 21 & 19mm collagen casing, so you can still knock out long lengths.

Happy to make you some pet-g custom tubes.

Been using mine for about 4 years now, same ones no hassle.

The other thing to look for in an electric are longer narrower, hoppers (what do you call the bit the meat goes in ?) as they'll require less pressure to stuff than the shorter wider ones.

It's all down to the proportion of the main cylinder to the size of the hole the sausage actually gets squeezed through. The smaller the difference the easier it'll stuff.

Good advice on the hopper. Never thought of that 1 but I can see the back pressure issue. What would you recommend?

Comment

Bling: I agree with the advice above: Since your making very large batches (185 lbs) I would spend the money on a good quality unit. I think your choice of a 25 lb. unit sounds about right if the +100 lbs batches are what you typically work with. You do lose a couple lbs. of room in the tub due to the plunger.

I have a F. Dick 12 lb model and it is bulletproof but I sometimes wish it was 20-25 lb. Never had electric but I know it would be nice since I stuff by myself and don't have an extra set of hands...but man those electrics are expensive in the larger size

I have never used a LEM stuffer but have a LEM grinder - great quality. I looked a long time for a used F. Dick stuffer but never found one and had to pony up the $$ and buy new.

Hope this helps,
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
                Bling: I agree with the advice above: Since your making very large batches (185 lbs) I would spend the money on a good quality unit. I think your choice of a 25 lb. unit sounds about right if the +100 lbs batches are what you typically work with. You do lose a couple lbs. of room in the tub due to the plunger.

I have a F. Dick 12 lb model and it is bulletproof but I sometimes wish it was 20-25 lb. Never had electric but I know it would be nice since I stuff by myself and don't have an extra set of hands...but man those electrics are expensive in the larger size

I have never used a LEM stuffer but have a LEM grinder - great quality. I looked a long time for a used F. Dick stuffer but never found one and had to pony up the $$ and buy new.

Hope this helps,

Yes sir that's another reason I want the electric. I don't usually have any help
                As it's just usually myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I gotta use a stool to get the angle on the crank.

Then again I’m 4’ 0.05” tall.

I just use an extra beer in the mix.

So now I guess they should have one of those things like they have a carnivals---

-----"You Must be THIS TALL to use this Stuffer".

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I've looked over the F dick models. Seems are Manuel. And $$$$$$ haha.

I've been reading reviews on the 20# LEM electric model. It is 659$. I believe that may be my best option. Any objections from anyone? Seems it can do the snack sticks pretty easily too.

Comment

Here is a few hams I have left hanging

Comment

bling, have you considered a water stuffer? Like a dakotah water stuffer? I'm sure there are others out there other than the dakotah, but that's the only one that comes to mind right now. It uses water pressure to stuff with, and the horizontal design might just make it easier for stuffing snack sticks. I have no personal experience with them but I know I was looking at them a few years back when I was looking for a stuffer. I decided to go with a small manual stuffer because I so rarely do sausage the dakotah wasn't economical for me. Anyway, might be something to consider.

https://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.co...fer-s/1873.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNDOxpkJUo
                        Mike
                        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                          bling, have you considered a water stuffer? Like a dakotah water stuffer? I'm sure there are others out there other than the dakotah, but that's the only one that comes to mind right now. It uses water pressure to stuff with, and the horizontal design might just make it easier for stuffing snack sticks. I have no personal experience with them but I know I was looking at them a few years back when I was looking for a stuffer. I decided to go with a small manual stuffer because I so rarely do sausage the dakotah wasn't economical for me. Anyway, might be something to consider.

https://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.co...fer-s/1873.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNDOxpkJUo

Interesting there. Where does the water go after you empty the tube of meat and drain it out? What's the purpose of the 2 fitting setup? 1 to run water in the other to help drain the water out?

Comment

There was a guy round here briefly who made a water stuffer, back in the days when a bunch of members tended to pick on people who did things different to themselves.
                            Unfortunately he got chased away. There's only so much one english anti-bullying guy can do.

Happy to say things are way better round here now, but somewhere on the forum there is definitely a thread or 2 on the ins and out of water stuffers.

On the lem electric big bite:
                            http://www.lemproducts.com/product/b...usage-stuffers
                            Long narrow cylinder - looks good, can't see any issues with that and stix.
                            Variable speed control also a good idea.
                            But a 15watt motor ? How much gearing does this have - would like to see inside that gear box.

Also cool that they include a manual handle, for when it breaks or you despeartely need to stuff before the hurricane hits and the power is out

This looks pretty nice: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15L-Electri...AAAOSwYwJaFvID
                            25 watt motor on a 15l (33lb) stuffer.
                            States all metal gearing which the lem doesn't actually say.
                            And currently dirt cheap - worth keeping an eye on.

Same unit with a $373 'buy it now' tag - I hate bidding on stuff on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15L-Electri...YAAOSwlptaD149

Doesn't look like it has the hurricane handle - but hey is that worth an extra $300 ?
                            Hell no, for that you can buy a decent 15lb manual stuffer as well and still have change :-)

Just looks that bit more heavy duty than the lem. Also the exit tube is larger and better placed to transfer pressure evenly to the tubes.

Even if it wasn't $300 cheaper I'd probably go for this one.
                            The lem control box has push buttons and digital readout - this one has a manual turn knob - that will last longer and be less potential hassle.
                            Plus 60% more power in the motor.
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
                              Interesting there. Where does the water go after you empty the tube of meat and drain it out? What's the purpose of the 2 fitting setup? 1 to run water in the other to help drain the water out?
                              That's one of the things that I don't particularly care about with it, the water is basically wasted. That's what the second hose is for, to drain the water out, presumably down the sink. I suppose you could save it for later use as cooking or plant water, etc. and not waste it though.
                              Mike
                              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                                There was a guy round here briefly who made a water stuffer, back in the days when a bunch of members tended to pick on people who did things different to themselves.

Unfortunately he got chased away. There's only so much one english anti-bullying guy can do.

Happy to say things are way better round here now, but somewhere on the forum there is definitely a thread or 2 on the ins and out of water stuffers.

On the lem electric big bite:

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/b...usage-stuffers

Long narrow cylinder - looks good, can't see any issues with that and stix.

Variable speed control also a good idea.

But a 15watt motor ? How much gearing does this have - would like to see inside that gear box.

Also cool that they include a manual handle, for when it breaks or you despeartely need to stuff before the hurricane hits and the power is out

This looks pretty nice: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15L-Electri...AAAOSwYwJaFvID

25 watt motor on a 15l (33lb) stuffer.

States all metal gearing which the lem doesn't actually say.

And currently dirt cheap - worth keeping an eye on.

Same unit with a $373 'buy it now' tag - I hate bidding on stuff on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15L-Electri...YAAOSwlptaD149

Doesn't look like it has the hurricane handle - but hey is that worth an extra $300 ?

Hell no, for that you can buy a decent 15lb manual stuffer as well and still have change :-)

From what I have read the lem has all metal internal Gears unlike the cabelas it was compared to. I remember reading that in a comparison between the 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X