Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Casings, seasonings cheese and the like
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Posted On: 12-15-2017
Replies: 52
Views: 638
0 Peanut Butter Meltaways (Bear's Favorite Candy!!)
Last Post: devo
Replies: 92
Views: 5,544
0 SnP sausage V2.0
Last Post: Critterhunter
Replies: 11
Views: 91
0 Ribeyes with chimichurri.
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 16
Views: 163
0 SV Reheating my Prime Rib
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 13
Views: 187
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,466 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,986 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,918 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Default Preservatives/anti-oxidants

I had made a batch of beef a while back and sent a guy a pack of it...he said he had it 3 days in a bag on the counter and it started to mold. Just the white stuff.. could have wiped it with a vinegar wet paper towel, but heís clueless and tossed it. Sigh.

Well..anyway..this got me to thinking. Scary eh?

Did a little poking around... I had in the past sometimes used sodium benzoate, a pretty popular preservative/anti-fungal..as well as an AWESOME fuel in a whistle rocket composition..;{). But since I no longer participate in..ahem..that hobby.. looked into potassium sorbate and good old ascorbic acid/Vit C. The ascorbic is a potent anti-oxidant/rancidity preventer...

Gonna use my jerky product on some beef and do a little testing. Might even change my formula to include some of these products.

Iíll update when data become available.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-14-2017, 11:05 AM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

Looking forward to your results.
Question, was the moldy meat a little moist when you shipped it?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:09 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
Looking forward to your results.
Question, was the moldy meat a little moist when you shipped it?
It was a TAD moist... nothing I was worried about really. And of course I have no idea what kind of environment he had it sitting in.

It just bugs me tho. If I can improve shelf life under most conditions with pretty harmless stuff like this, itís a win/win to me.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:13 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Some data going in:

8 pounds jerky sliced. Using 2 cups liquid, half water half red wine.
Ascorbic acid...calls for .2 OZ/25 lbs..breaks down to 1.8 grams/8 pounds
P.S. calls for a 2.5% solution in 2 cups of liquid that comes to 11 grams...by weight.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Sounds like a Great plan, Rich.

It wasn't very long ago that I didn't know enough to do anything but toss it myself.

You da Man, Rich!!

Bear
Old 01-15-2017, 05:23 AM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
P.B. calls for a 2.5% solution in 2 cups of liquid that comes to 11 grams...by weight.
P.B. ....Peanut butter?

I don't know your recipe but any chance you know the % salt? Maybe you could up the salt and sugar levels to lower the water activity?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:37 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
P.B. ....Peanut butter?

I don't know your recipe but any chance you know the % salt? Maybe you could up the salt and sugar levels to lower the water activity?
oops..LOL..PS potassium sorbate. Yeah Pb would be bad, but I could just use Flintís water for that.

Iím around 19% salt I believe. Donít really wanna go too much more.

I have not really had an issue with this to this point. For all I know he had the stuff sitting next to a toaster oven steaming it

Iím mostly curious on the effects and just how good these additives are.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:02 AM
<-----BITE ME!

I've been pondering the same thing but different. When I mentioned to the kid I was making jerky, he said "make mine moist"
How do ya make a dried meat product safe, moist, and shelf stable?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

My best advice would be to ship the jerky to Tulsa for "storage". I won't last long enough to mold around here.

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 01-30-2017, 12:22 PM
The Mad Hunky!

OK update...

After 2 weeks plus hanging out on the counter 3 kinda moist samples...
1) sealed baggie air included
2) sealed baggie little air included
3) open bag folded

No mold of ANY sort has appeared. The open bag had dried out quite a bit. All 3 are still edible. Notice less flavor, but NO rancidity.

Looks like Iíll be using these additives in the future.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
How do ya make a dried meat product safe, moist, and shelf stable?
You can vac seal it and SV the package 145į for an hour..effectively pasteurizing it. Do small amounts.. to be consumed within a day and chilled after opening. And use preservatives...of course
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Plays with his meat...

merrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To All
merrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To Allmerrell Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
OK update...

After 2 weeks plus hanging out on the counter 3 kinda moist samples...
1) sealed baggie air included
2) sealed baggie little air included
3) open bag folded

No mold of ANY sort has appeared. The open bag had dried out quite a bit. All 3 are still edible. Notice less flavor, but NO rancidity.

Looks like Iíll be using these additives in the future.
I just make mine so damn hot they can't tell when it's rancid.....

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys
Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrell View Post
I just make mine so damn hot they can't tell when it's rancid.....
Shit..wish idía thought of that...damn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Jerky