Grilled pompano with tropical BBQ glaze and coconut Jasmine rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    According to Wikipedia there's about 20 different species of pompano. What I got looked exactly as the one in the pic in the link http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_pompcz.html
    Also I only use the camera on the phone, probably not best pic. And yes they do cut off the fins for a guy.

Don't really have an answer about the blood. There was just a little in each bag.

We don't get much for fish choices locally. We've got catfish (not a big fan) can get frozen Pollock and cod. If they have fresh salmon it's usually around $8-9 a pound, sorry but I can get a ribeye for that. Grocery store sold some swai filets cheap and we really liked it, but then research and it's one of the worst fish to eat. And yes we can get tilapia, we do get it about once every 2 months. We just don't eat much fish.

Craig check the big cities by you for an Asian market. I check their specials before we make a trip when we go about every 2 months. Still need to try the shrimp, good size ones for $6/pound.
    I don't know if Wichita has an Asian market but they used to have a fresh seafood place...To pricey for me...I guess it's not cheap to have "fresh" seafood flown in every day...I don't know if they are still there or not...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      I don't know if Wichita has an Asian market but they used to have a fresh seafood place...To pricey for me...I guess it's not cheap to have "fresh" seafood flown in every day...I don't know if they are still there or not...
      I did a quick Google search, it look like they've got several. 4 of them look nice(Duong, Grace, Thai Bing, and Kim something). 2 of them the way it appears have fresh fish. The Kim one and the Duong(review said this one doesn't smell ). I'd be a bit leery of the Lucky one, saw a pic where they stored the fish in regular coolers and not much ice in them.
      sigpic

Comment

fyi...........tilapia has been around for thousands of years and there are many species but only a few farmed for food and it is commercially produced here in the states a well as through out the americas.....the "musty" that also occurs in catfish and other fish is not an indication of "cleanliness" but from soil and algae blooms in the water. some producers have moved towards soil-less tanks. china does produce the most and well......we can't always trust them but there are other producers and i'll take a "clean" tasting tilapia over most fish that i can get...... just because our food world is becoming '"global", unfortunately not everyone has access to good species of fish....go with what your area produces if you can.
        sigpic
        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
          fyi...........tilapia has been around for thousands of years and there are many species but only a few farmed for food and it is commercially produced here in the states a well as through out the americas.....the "musty" that also occurs in catfish and other fish is not an indication of "cleanliness" but from soil and algae blooms in the water. some producers have moved towards soil-less tanks. china does produce the most and well......we can't always trust them but there are other producers and i'll take a "clean" tasting tilapia over most fish that i can get...... just because our food world is becoming '"global", unfortunately not everyone has access to good species of fish....go with what your area produces if you can.
          Funny, when I was young....er talapia was known as Nile Perch. They will live in anything that has water in it! We have lakes here (FL) that are overrun with them. Folks cast net for them. Only problem with that is gators....like the same places. Read bout someone getting a gator in a net and getting dragged every once in a while.
          Chef is right, if you can source where they come from they are good clean fish. Problem is finding what the source is. They are easy to farm raise, very tolerant. And go local is always a good plan! Seafood from S E Asia, not so much.
          https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/a...-grocery-store
          Last edited by Mark R; 07-19-2017, 01:35 PM.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
          X