Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Default Jerky basics

Yumm..jerky! Be it venison, beef, turkey...what ever! One of the most compact forms of high energy protein there is. But there are a few rules...

Most jerky is done in a "low and slow" environment, either in a smoker, dehydrator, or both. And it is usually not "cooked". This pretty much mandates a cure. Not a brine. Not a marinade. A CURE. Any meat products that are not brought from 40 to 140 within 4 hours need to be cured.

Not salted, honeyed, ascorbic acid'ed- but nitrate/nitrite cured. Many will debate this, and a few will regret it. Some might not, but it's YOUR choice.

Prague powder #1, or "Pink Salt" is what you want. Or Morton Salt's Tenderquick product. Follow directions to the TEE! Because it can poison you. But most likely will save you. Or at least your TP budget! I use the Morton product, and use the "ground meat" cure rate of 1.5 teaspoons/Lb of meat, not the whole meat measure of 1 tablespoon/Lb. If using TQ, remember it contains salt already, and you will not need to add any. Be conscious of heavy salt containing ingredients as well...soy especially.

If you buy a commercial mix for seasoning, be SURE it includes nitrites/nitrates in the list of ingredients.

For more information, see the "Curing Vs. Brining" topic in the General Information forum

Also, remember that ALL wild game should be frozen for a period of time <See the USDA fact sheet, General Information forum> to assure trichinosis and other parasites are not an issue.

The meat you choose should be very lean. Fat does not cure, and is one of the reasons jerky can "go bad" on you. The fat goes rancid, and ruins the flavor. So trim your meat well! Also, removing all sinew as possible will contribute to a better texture and "eatability".

I usually cut my meat with the grain in the classic jerky mode. Some cut across grain, which will make a more "tender" product. Up to you- try them both. Also there IS a method for using ground meat and a "gun". I have never done this tho.

There are many methods to finish the jerky after the curing phase. Most smoke it- but some just use a dehydrator or oven. I will smoke mine for a couple hours with light smoke and low temps, then use my downdraft oven to finish the dehydration to the point I like it.

Last edited by Richtee; 07-07-2009 at 07:30 AM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Sure am glad that one dude ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.

Last edited by SmokinLee; 01-27-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
Sure am glad the ardvark ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.
Bring him on...we'll be sure to tax him without representation first ;{)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
in Memoriam

Capt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Sure am glad the ardvark ain't here to debate you as usual. LOL. Good post Rich.

Hahaha, thats a good one Lee.

don't forget these threads stay posted !LOL

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)
Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 AM
In Memoriam

Walking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

no PICS?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Hmmm. Suppose your right Dan. Maybe I should say the guy with the funny teeth LOL.............OK edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
Hahaha, thats a good one Lee.

don't forget these threads stay posted !LOL
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
in Memoriam

Capt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Hmmm. Suppose your right Dan. Maybe I should say the guy with the funny teeth LOL.............OK edit.
I guess I screwed that up by quoting you! LOL.:D

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM
smoke 'em if ya got 'em

blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All
blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All

i'm doing jerky today so thanx for the post.
22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
& rotisserator
12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
my music recordings-
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Also, remember that ALL wild game should be frozen for a period of time <See the USDA fact sheet, General Information forum> to assure trichonosis and other parasites are not an issue.

Glad you mentioned this. I've been telling folks this for years, and they don't believe me. I always freeze my venison for about 30 days before eating. Might be overkill, but I don't get sick. And I think that the freezing process tenderizes the meat some. That's compared to the fresh beef I've used for jerky.

All of the jerky I've done in recent years has been with bought mixes. Now that I have the smoker, I'd like to start playing around with my own ideas. So, Morton's TQ will work for jerky? I figured I'd have to find the "pink stuff".
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

You can use TQ Ray. Just dont add any additional salt to your recipe. Be sure to follow the proper amount per pound.

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
You can use TQ Ray. Just dont add any additional salt to your recipe. Be sure to follow the proper amount per pound.
In addition... I had been using the "whole meat" measure of 1 TABLESPOON/Lb. Last jerky I cut it back to the ground meat measure of 1.5 TEASPOONS/Lb. and noticed no adverse effects. I did let it cure for 2 days, and the salt level was a little less.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
In addition... I had been using the "whole meat" measure of 1 TABLESPOON/Lb. Last jerky I cut it back to the ground meat measure of 1.5 TEASPOONS/Lb. and noticed no adverse effects. I did let it cure for 2 days, and the salt level was a little less.

Im sure glad your batting clean up..;)

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Pit Master

jbchoice1 Knows How To Maintain A Pit

I've been using the 1Tbls/lb also... have never been disappointed... that is Tenderquick though... watch the extra salt... like was mentioned... if you use soy sauce or something like that... it's the best jerky you've ever had... I like to also store mine wrapped in a paper towel in a ziplock bag... I like mine a little chewy so I do not dry it until brittle... you want some bend to it, and it will sweat...

You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps
I'm old school, ya know, back when tits were different sizes
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, hauling it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks guys,

That is what I was a little worried about. Salt content. I'll try the 1.5 tsp/lbs. ratio and see how it turns out.
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Pit Master

bb53chevpro Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingbb53chevpro Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingbb53chevpro Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingbb53chevpro Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grilling

Another great post Rich. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

Question on jerky, I have always used Hi Mountain Cure which is seasoned. It calls for 24 hour cure time in the frig. Then, I marinade for another 24 hours to get the flavor I'm looking for.

The ultimate question is, can I wet cure with the marinade at the same time or should I stick with keeping them distinct

Also, since it calls for a 24 hours cure, if I understand it correctly, you can't over cure but can under cure. So, any issue with a 48 hour wet cure or even dry dure in that regard? That said, would I have to soak the meat possible to get rid of wome of the salt taste?

Used to be easy, maybe I'm over thinking this a bit too much.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1

Last edited by Abelman; 07-15-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Sausagehead

Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All
Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All

I toss the cure into the marinade that usually has a base of Worcestershire and soy sauce. No need to cure then flavor. Mix everything together. 1 day is good, 3 days is better.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks, perhaps I'll give it a try. I use Allegro Hot and Spicy which is mostly worcestershire sauce and then throw the heat in there and see what happens. Thx
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

Can't hurt to mix and try it all in one.
but like it mentions earlier in this thread - if the cure contains a high percentage of salt be careful what salt you add to the marinade - ie: use low sodium soy sauce.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Jerky

Tags
brine, cure, curing, jerky, marinade