U.S. bans imports of Brazilian beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. bans imports of Brazilian beef

This involves a lot of meat. This should make the beef prices go up.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/23/news...rts/index.html
    Jim

Holy chit!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I knew the US imported a lot of beef from Brazil, but I had no idea it was that much.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
        I knew the US imported a lot of beef from Brazil, but I had no idea it was that much.
        Yeah, me too. Scary.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Just as beef prices were falling a bit, Hmmmmm?
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

So we're excited that we can finally export beef to China at the same time we block imports from Brazil...Makes perfect sense to me...I don't see a problem at all
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              Just as beef prices were falling a bit, Hmmmmm?
              Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              So we're excited that we can finally export beef to China at the same time we block imports from Brazil...Makes perfect sense to me...I don't see a problem at all
              Market Management ya think?
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Having spent a fair amount of time on my grandparents farm "back in the day", I have no illusions about how beef goes from hoof to table. But the story was a little vague on what the problems in Brazil were. I can't imagine what order of magnitude it would have to be to ban the meat from an entire country. I can see a producer or slaughter house or two, but everybody in the friggin country?

I think there might indeed be something else at play here.
                Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Somebody leaked the news here early I guess, was just "window" shopping the meat section this morning to find Bone in Ribeye @ $12.79 lb
                  Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                  Weber 22.5" WSM
                  Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                  Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                  6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                  Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                  The Vortex

Comment

Nothing vague and it's not just the US that has banned their meats. They're meats are being banned worldwide.
                    Even their government has shut down plants and suspended licenses for many others.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the immediate suspension of fresh beef imports from the South American country on Thursday after inspections uncovered public health concerns, unsanitary conditions and animal health issues.

The agency said it has been inspecting all meet imports from Brazil since March, and had refused entry to 11% of fresh beef products. It said that figure is "substantially higher" than the rejection rate from the rest of the world, which is around 1%.

Brazil's beef production has been in turmoil for months, after it emerged some meat producers were allegedly paying bribes to inspectors to certify meat that was either rotten or tainted with salmonella.

China, Mexico, Chile, Japan, the European Union and Hong Kong banned imports of Brazilian meat in March.

In response, Brazil's government shut down three plants and suspended the export licenses for 21 meat packing plants.
                    Jim

Comment

Nothing vague and it's not just the US that has banned their meats. They're meats are being banned worldwide.
                      Even their government has shut down plants and suspended licenses for many others.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the immediate suspension of fresh beef imports from the South American country on Thursday after inspections uncovered public health concerns, unsanitary conditions and animal health issues.

The agency said it has been inspecting all meet imports from Brazil since March, and had refused entry to 11% of fresh beef products. It said that figure is "substantially higher" than the rejection rate from the rest of the world, which is around 1%.

Brazil's beef production has been in turmoil for months, after it emerged some meat producers were allegedly paying bribes to inspectors to certify meat that was either rotten or tainted with salmonella.

China, Mexico, Chile, Japan, the European Union and Hong Kong banned imports of Brazilian meat in March.

In response, Brazil's government shut down three plants and suspended the export licenses for 21 meat packing plants.

That would explain why the "China" market opened up. Thanks Jim.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, that makes sense. I should have googled the ban as that info was not in the original linked story.

Thanks
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                          Ok, that makes sense. I should have googled the ban as that info was not in the original linked story.

Thanks
                          Sorry Dave, but that's where I copied the info from. It came straight from the original story I linked to in my first post.
                          Jim

Comment

Sorry Dave, but that's where I copied the info from. It came straight from the original story I linked to in my first post.
                            Well, buy me a new set of glasses.... it was? Senior moment, carry on...
                            Dave

Comment

Imported food is scary. Period. You don't know what you are getting... One of the reasons we started a new garden this year. Yeah, we can't raise cattle... It wood piss off the neighbors and we don't have the room, so we gotta put up with what we can get across the counter.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X