SV Bacon wrapped CSR's & SV Yukon gold taters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Bacon wrapped CSR's & SV Yukon gold taters

Got my refill of Mad Hunky last week, and always wanted to try this. After seeing them crazy Brazilians on the SV Everything Youtube channel pull it off, I had to give it a try. Found a deal on CSR's at Albertson's;

10 15 01.jpg

Gave them a dose of Lite salt Hunky (1/2 regular MHGP & 1/2 No salt MHGP) and 2 pieces of bacon wrapped on each rib.
    10 15 02.jpg

Lotta Ribs thar
    10 15 03.jpg

I put them on the Yoder at 225 for 3 hrs of Apple smoke. Pulled them off at an IT of 130 degrees.
    10 15 04.jpg

Out of the smoker into the SV for 24 hrs at 160 degrees.
    10 15 06.jpg

I did a quick torch sear on them to crisp up the bacon and get a little char going. Had some dinner cancellations with the younguns so I only seared 3 of them for Sunday dinner. Looks tasty
    10 15 07.jpg

Here's the finished results. Served them with some SV Yukon Gold taters from a recipe I found on Chefsteps.com, finished with a pan sear. They were great! along with some steamed cauliflower to top it off.
    10 05 08.jpg

10 15 09.jpg

All in all, I was a bit disappointed in the CSR's. They had a great flavor thanks to the Mad Hunky and bacon wrap and had a good smoke flavor too. The meat was tender BUT, they were a bit dry. This seemed odd to my feeble brain since there was plenty of juices in the bag. I can assume it had to do with the long cook time between 3 hours of smoking and 24 hrs in the water bath. Maybe I will cut both the time and temp down on the Anova if I smoke them first. I think John (Bearcarver) said he did his CSR's at 150 degrees with no time in the smoker, so that should be a good temp to try next time. Once I get the juicyness factor down, these will be an over the top meal for any family Q.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

That All looks Freaking Awesome!!!---

Looks Mighty Tasty!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post

All in all, I was a bit disappointed in the CSR's. They had a great flavor thanks to the Mad Hunky and bacon wrap and had a good smoke flavor too. The meat was tender BUT, they were a bit dry. This seemed odd to my feeble brain since there was plenty of juices in the bag. I can assume it had to do with the long cook time between 3 hours of smoking and 24 hrs in the water bath. Maybe I will cut both the time and temp down on the Anova if I smoke them first. I think John (Bearcarver) said he did his CSR's at 150 degrees with no time in the smoker, so that should be a good temp to try next time. Once I get the juicyness factor down, these will be an over the top meal for any family Q.
      Yup, me thinks they spent too much time in the bath, and too hot. Cut the bath temp back to 145-150 and I'd cut the time down to 6-8 hours, leaving the smoke time the same. Sear at the end like you did.

It all looks delish tho!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
        That All looks Freaking Awesome!!!---

Looks Mighty Tasty!

Bear
        Thanks John. I thought I had all my bases covered on this one. Too bad it was a little dry or it would have been spot on.

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        Yup, me thinks they spent too much time in the bath, and too hot. Cut the bath temp back to 145-150 and I'd cut the time down to 6-8 hours, leaving the smoke time the same. Sear at the end like you did.

It all looks delish tho!!
        Thanks Phil.
        Agreed & Hind sight being 20/20, the time & temp in the SV was what I believed dried them out. Since I had so many left, and they were falling apart, I pulled 2 of them for a pretty good PP sammie last night. I'll do a combo of PP and chunked pork to freeze for quick leftover meals. Im seeing some carnitas tacos in my near future. Nothing goes to waste at the house of Otis,
        Mike
        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
        POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
        Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
          Thanks John. I thought I had all my bases covered on this one. Too bad it was a little dry or it would have been spot on.

My best CSR's were that last one I did.
          I did them at 140° for 24 hours, but I didn't have them in a smoker for 3 hours at 225°.
          If you go to that post, you will see I said, "Next time I'll try 21 hours instead of 24."

But then again I did some single CSRs at 146° for 7 hours & they were awesome.
          So I would have to say anywhere between 140° and 146° for between 7hrs and 21 hours would be Great !! Lotta Leeway there, huh??

Bear
          Last edited by Bearcarver; 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM.
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
          X