Hawaiian or Polynesian smoked pork suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian or Polynesian smoked pork suggestions

So my VFW is throwing a Luau themed party. I volunteered to do a smoked pork product of some kind. I don't want to do a typical bbq smoked pork I want it to be big Island type food. I'll take a day or two off to do my smoking. I need ideas for a sandwich idea. I'm not opposed to a chicken dish either. I'm looking for a main dish that is Hawaiian themed. I see a lot of kahlua pork recipes on Pinterest but they're crock pot with just salt and liquid smoke, I would obviously sub real smoke and our true slow cooker. I think I'll do a side of Dutch's baked beans maybe more Hawaiiany. Also looking at doing a version of swineapple with a sub of the ribs. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! It's in Aug 12th, 4:00 food will be in chafers. The other main is a pineapple ham. Also suggestions for an appy. It's a buffet, not sit down, it's just out in the pavilion so super casual and cheap. Please keep in mind that this will probably be maybe 100 tops. Also, I lost sparky so I only have my Weber kettle so it could be a couple days for prep, I can't do bulk but I could do a couple hours of smoke and then finish in the oven just for time and convenience. Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

For my youngest dots graduation party I done pork butts injected with equal parts pineapple juice , Kuluah and Malibu rum, it was a hit..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    My food WAS a vegaterian!!
    Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by smokebuzz View Post
      For my youngest dots graduation party I done pork butts injected with equal parts pineapple juice , Kuluah and Malibu rum, it was a hit..
      Dang, that sounds gooood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
        So my VFW is throwing a Luau themed party. I volunteered to do a smoked pork product of some kind. I don't want to do a typical bbq smoked pork I want it to be big Island type food. I'll take a day or two off to do my smoking. I need ideas for a sandwich idea. I'm not opposed to a chicken dish either. I'm looking for a main dish that is Hawaiian themed. I see a lot of kahlua pork recipes on Pinterest but they're crock pot with just salt and liquid smoke, I would obviously sub real smoke and our true slow cooker. I think I'll do a side of Dutch's baked beans maybe more Hawaiiany. Also looking at doing a version of swineapple with a sub of the ribs. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! It's in Aug 12th, 4:00 food will be in chafers. The other main is a pineapple ham. Also suggestions for an appy. It's a buffet, not sit down, it's just out in the pavilion so super casual and cheap. Please keep in mind that this will probably be maybe 100 tops. Also, I lost sparky so I only have my Weber kettle so it could be a couple days for prep, I can't do bulk but I could do a couple hours of smoke and then finish in the oven just for time and convenience. Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I've seen a couple recipes using banana leaves to wrap the kalua style pork butt & then cooked low & slow in the smoker. The leaves give it a very unique flavor, kind of an aromatic and sweetish flavor. I've used them when I make puerco pibil.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
          I've seen a couple recipes using banana leaves to wrap the kalua style pork butt & then cooked low & slow in the smoker. The leaves give it a very unique flavor, kind of an aromatic and sweetish flavor. I've used them when I make puerco pibil.

Yeah just go out to your banana tree pick some leaves and your set
          Or maybe Ice could send you some of those special grown in the desert banana leaves Just kiddin Ice
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

You could always do Huli Chicken which is really more of a grill thing.

Or, take that to pork, inject, baste, and smoke.......
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

You will have to do a smoked spam sandwich. No way aeound spam in Hawaii.

A smoked pork with course salt and shoyu will be a good traditional island Smoked Meat. Do not forget the maui sweet onions

Banana leaf smoked marlin.

Asian stores are carrying a lot of the Hawaii salts, soy sause (shoyu) and banana leaves.

Any of the heavier game fish can be used in place of marlin.

Do not forget the spam. Hawaii is the largest consumer per capita of spam in the world.

HULI HULI has been mentioned. It is a good one. I do the chicken on the grill then i put it in miffin pans to smoke it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                Yeah just go out to your banana tree pick some leaves and you('re) set
                Or maybe Ice could send you some of those special grown in the desert banana leaves Just kiddin Ice
                Don't make me come up there & smack you, Doug...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                  Yeah just go out to your banana tree pick some leaves and your set
                  Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                  Don't make me come up there & smack you, Doug...
                  Aight Boys, Nanner leaves at 20 yards!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Got the real deal,this is from last year.
                    IMG_1565.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X