Oklahoma Joe Highland mods and a cook with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma Joe Highland mods and a cook with pics

I recently got an Oklahoma Joe Highland pit for Fathers Day and I love the thing. It's a great low cost entry to the stick burner game as I've found. My Kamado has been feeling a little lonely because of this over the last month...

I got it with the full intention of doing some mods...

Here goes,

The deck so far, my homebuilt 2x2x6 plywood smokehouse with concrete floor on the far left, prep table and fridge, Vision Kamado, and the OKJ Highland last. Tin flashing coal shield on the wood deck for fire safety under the OKJ firebox.

3/8" steel tuning plate mod (free scrap at work)

Stack mod with 3" dryer vent elbow from Lowe's

Charcoal basket/stick burner basket as needed, ($20 offcut metals)

New pile of applewood aquired free for the low price of cutting and hauling home myself.

Basket loaded with some lump and the new apple wood.

Ash drops out very well and excellent airflow with this basket.

Baked potatoes on for about an hour, steak just on. Steak taken to 120°f to take on some smoke, then on top of the coal basket to sear.

Steak searing on the charcoal with grates on top of the new basket.

Dinner tonight with the steak and potatoes with some Prince Albert mix veg.

Hope you enjoy...

Lookin' great sir! I like the mods you did... "grate" job!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice job on the mods and the eats.
      Jim

Comment

Looks like a very nice cooker for the price...
        On my OK JOE Longhorn, I tried the same trick on the exhaust extension...I thought at the time it was hindering draft/airflow...I took it off and things did get better...I do need revisit that idea and see how I like it now...Seems to work great for you...

Nice work on the steaks
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Also very smart to put a fire barrier under your firebox...

That's why I cook on concrete instead of a wood deck
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Good job on the Mods.. I will echo Craig's post, I love my Okey Joe Longhorn as well... They sure made the great back in the day..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nice mod's it looks like you have a great setup.

Need to go look on CL for one of those!

Comment

Great looking Food, Swede!!

Real nice Basket too!!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. It's been working very well so far. Now the real challenge is making sure I have enough meat in stock to keep the Kamado and the OKJ happy!!!

Comment

I like it! ...my horizontal gig... just have a hard time...now let's go vertical...full power!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

nice work. stick burning is a great way to cook. other methods have their place but nothing beats a good fire. I bet that apple wood imparts a nice sweet flavor. got to love a good fruit wood when cooking.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Local Walmart has these marked down to $139 right now. Really thinking of getting one !!

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyesmoker View Post
                          Local Walmart has these marked down to $139 right now. Really thinking of getting one !!
                          What is there to think about at that price? GET IT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Swede View Post
                            What is there to think about at that price? GET IT!!!!!
                            Can't decide if I want to add another smoker (have plenty). Or get a Blackstone 36" griddle .....is the problem !!

Comment

Working...
                            X