Attempting a Fridge/Smoker Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting a Fridge/Smoker Conversion

So I picked up a 1943 (I believe) General Electric refrigerator that I'm going to attempt to make into a smoker. With that being said I have questions.

Ok so I have a heating element from my old, old Brinkmann vertical smoker that I'm going to use in the fridge.

I went to a local muffler shop and got a nice piece of 3" pipe that I'm going to use for my smokestack.

I've been reading allot on here about other people's build, and now I'm kinda getting a little nervous. I'm making my own cold smoke generator venturi effect canister so that will be my smoke source.

I guess my questions are; the pipe I got for smokestack is vent at a 90 degree so I was thinking of putting it out the top back of the fridge as opposed to the top!?

I want to do about three 2" holes for fresh air vents, should I put those on the same side as I put the CSG or opposite, or back?

Thanks for any guidance.

Corby.

The first 2 pics are of the outside look pretty decent it still ran I had to defrost the icebox had a giant amount of ice in it.

I guess my questions are more about the 3rd and 4th pics. I heave seen and read numerous videos and post about the trim around the door needing to be replaced because it is plastic, well I stuck a magnet to it in different spots and it stuck and it had rust spots in some places on the trim. Is it metal and could it stay instead of taking it off and putting flashing or whatever in its place?
    Last edited by Corbylove; 08-03-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

from Utah

First I gotta know how you got it stuck to the wall like that Yeah that's an old one alright surprised it was still running

There are some fridge smoker builders on here I'm sure they'll be along to chime in and help with any questions you might have
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

If you're talking about the magnet? I just put it on there in both places and it stayed so.....

Comment

And thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I think what people replace is the gasket around the door as those were more rubber than silicone back in the day.

Why electric?

What is the main purpose/temp range?

I would seriously consider putting the smokestack in the center of the back similar to a backwoods or the iron maiden.

I put mine in the back/top and it flows but it also flows heat out.

I use an amazing pellet tray for smoke but it requires a bunch of air to operate correctly. I put in directly in front of my intake which is also 3 inches.

We had one of those for years as a second fridge, was still running when my bro in law threw it out cause he thought it was a energy hog. Now he complains his new one does not keep his beer cold.....

Comment

Originally posted by Corbylove View Post
              If you're talking about the magnet? I just put it on there in both places and it stayed so.....
              I do believe he was talking about the sideways pics.

Like Doug said..."There are some fridge smoker builders on here I'm sure they'll be along to chime in and help with any questions you might have"

In the mean time why not stop over to the New Member Introductions section so we can give you a proper welcome.
              Jim

Comment

Why not electric? I have a offset charcoal/stick burner that I use also.
                Sometimes I'm in the mood for a set it and forget it type of day.

I made a homemade PID controller for the heating element it will mainly run at 225-275 degrees depending on what I'm cooking.

I also am in the process of making my own cold smoke generator that I will use for hot smoking as well.

Comment

check this..... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39354

Any questions , ask. I think that was 2 1/2 inch outlet and I have about 7 sq/in inlet around the element in the pan in bottom
                  Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Another... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39339
                    Don..

Comment

My first one.. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25841

Have fun.
                      Don..

Comment

Originally posted by merrell View Post
                        Those look amazing thanks for the pics I appreciate it. I know I could get a pretty penny for it if I restore it but I really want to make it into a smoker.

Again thanks for the links.

Comment

I picked up 4 oven racks from the recycle yard to for $2 to use as my tracks in the smoker **SCORE**

Comment

I saw that you mentioned that you are building a venturi smoke generator.

You may want to look at these.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I built a canister style and used it a few times and gave it up. Way too much creosote and hard to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                              I saw that you mentioned that you are building a venturi smoke generator.

You may want to look at these.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I built a canister style and used it a few times and gave it up. Way too much creosote and hard to clean up.
                              I appreciate the input, but personally I am not a fan of the amazn products, never had any that worked out for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X