No announcement yet.

My first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36k I thought 6" was large. Probably go with 4" exhaust and an intake that I can have completely shut and adjust more if I need it. The pellet unit will be at the house mondaynor Tuesday. I hope to have the box done in the next few days. Our season opens tomorrow in Pittsburgh so I'll be in a tree haha I love this time of year

Comment

Nice, good luck I have a few months yet before I get out.

Found this link, I tlaked to this guy a few years ago, very knowledgeable.

//http://gassmoker.com/products/
      Last edited by nickelmore; 09-16-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

so I was doing some thinking sittin in my stand Saturday. at some point im thinking of adding an electric element to the unit to allow for lower temp smokes (under 150 since I believe that's the lowest the pellet hopper goes) and possibly a fan on the fresh air intake for the drying phase when smoking snack sticks and bologna. would it be worth it or just extra stuff that's not needed.

just me thinking cause there wasn't a deer moving in the woods in my location and when I get bored my brain goes on over drive

Comment

Electric Element with a PID controller yes. Adjustable DC muffin fan like in computer towers. Would help with drying and circulating smoke for "cold smokes"

It can also be a backup if your main source goes out.

I would also find a smaller propane burner for backup as well if you plan on doing that large of smokes.

Its a really bad day to get halfway through a smoke and have something electrical foul up on you.

Comment

Yea backups to backups are always a good idea and I have the room so why not

Something like this
            https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...Qwg8IHw&adurl=

Comment

Can I use the high temp silicone to seal all e joints? The are just spot welded and I want to make the smoke chamber airtight to keep stuff from seeping into the insulation. The inside shell is aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
                Can I use the high temp silicone to seal all e joints? The are just spot welded and I want to make the smoke chamber airtight to keep stuff from seeping into the insulation. The inside shell is aluminum
                Inside is aluminum? Kind of unique. the following is IMHO and that is all it is, I do not like the high temp silicone.

I prefer a good name regular clear silicone, most are rated ok to be used in food processing plants. Go to the hardware store and read the backs of both labels or internet it.

Once it "gasses off" and cures most silicone will tolerate 500 degrees or so and is safe to use.

Are you saying the alum panels inside are spot welded?

Comment

The panels have the edges bent in a 90 and attacked to the other panel with a spot weld. I'm going to run a few rovets in to add some strength to them

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
                    The panels have the edges bent in a 90 and attacked to the other panel with a spot weld. I'm going to run a few rovets in to add some strength to them

If the two pieces are spot welded, then they are both steel. AL does not weld to steel no matter how nice you ask it to.

Comment

Worked on the smoker some yesterday . I got the bottom is pretty much finished the finished just need to seal a few gaps. Hopefully my buddy can get the piece made for the inner shell soon. Once I get that I should be able to fire up in a few days.

I was debating on temp gauge location. There's already a hole for the old gauge right in the center and probably a foot from the top. I was going to run a tel-tru with a 6" probe in this location and then one in the center of the large door on the left and one near the bottom of the top door on the right (it would be placed at the same height as the one on the larger door.

I hope to get the doors put back together this week. They used pieces of oak as an inner frame inside that the shell screwed to. Would it be ok to use pine or should I stick with oak? It will be completely sealed from the smoking chamber.

Comment

So I'm waiting for my new insert to get from the fab shop..... Decided to get a new one made out of steel. Only cost $200 and some smoked deer meat.

What do you guys think of this fan on a speed control

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ntrol&_sacat=0

https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Cooli...EQC8YZCXDFQ5YA

I will also have a 4" intake without a fan to use... Also should I got wi a 6" or 4" exhaust?? Still not sure about that

Comment

Got some more done today from what is seen here but some crazy thunderstorms hit the farm.

Still haven't decided on the exhaust placement
                          Attached Files

Comment

Almost there! Just needn't to fab up my hanging rack on the right. Then figure of my Heat deflector and where to place my exhaust. also still debaiting on installing a fan on an intake
                            Attached Files

Comment

How does this looks? Should I drop the exhaust down from the top 6-12"?
                              Attached Files

Comment

IMHO yes drop it. Look up some some back yard builds or bbq engineers. Is your build similar?

Comment

Working...
                                X