Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Virgin

First time smoker here

Im doing my first try of ribs 3-2-1 method. its been three hours and the meat hasnt pulled back from the bone yet. so my guess is 3-2-1 is just a good round estimate. results will vary by +/-30 mins. Is my assumption correct?? Keep em on till meat pulls away??

the 3 is three hours of smoke.
    the 2 is two hours in foil(with liquid).
    the 1 is the hour out of the foil for the ribs to firm up and the sauce to get set.
    Steve

Comment

I have learned here that pullback isn't always an indicator of doneness. There is some trial and error involved. I'd stick to your original plan. Watch it closely and you should be fine. Others will be along and lend more support. Keep at it.

Comment

Oh man I thought we were sacrificing a virgin
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

Dont worry. 321 is simply a starting point. And you wouldnt want big pullback if you are planning on 2 hours of foil and another hour of smoke after that. Personally, Ive been skipping the foil, and getting a good result by mopping with about 4hours of slow smoke. Everyone does it their own way. You ll get it figured out.
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

If this is the first time that you are using the 3-2-1 method, then I would suggest just following the original (typical) process of 3 hours of uncovered for smoke taking the time to spritz with a liquid like apple juice every hour, 2 hours wrapped in foil that has 1/4 cup or so of the same liquid in it, then uncovered for an hour with a good bbq sauce to allow the sauce to caramelize. Once you have done it the first time, then you should be able to adjust your method if needed. Every time I have done 3-2-1 method the ribs absolutely rocked.

With good bbq, never rush it.... they will pull back from the bones whether it is during the 3rd hour or 4th/5th. If you are patient, magic will happen.
            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
            Frogmats
            Maverick ET 732
            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
              Oh man I thought we were sacrificing a virgin

Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
              Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
              A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
              A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
              Frogmats
              Maverick ET 732
              Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

You will see very little pull back during the first three hours.. especially if they are meaty! You will see the pull back after the foil!!... Relax all if well!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

The best thing about smoking ribs is the more you do it, the better you get. You'll get a feel for it. Just make sure you get em to temp at the very least, and notice what you like and don't like. Smoking virgin? this place will make you a smoking slut in no time.
                  New Braunfels Black Diamond
                  18.5" WSM
                  Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                  18.5 Weber Kettle
                  22.5 Weber Kettle
                  Maverick ET732
                  6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, 2 hours to go!!

Comment

welcome aboard you'll catch on to the ribbage in know time
                      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                      members mark upright propane smoker
                      kingsford bbq
                      23"weber kettle

Comment

Easy there stallion. No hurry, slow down! In the BBQ world 3 hrs isn't very long at all, that's just getting started! You will see pull back after the 2 hrs of foil. After the foil they will be fall off the bone. The 1 hr after the foil will firm them up just a bit. Low and slow, patience. Grab a beer and relax!

Comment

As stated pullback isn't always an indicator...Good quality ribs may not pull much at all...
                          Had three racks of back ribs this weekend...Smoked em kinda slow for six hours with no foil...Nicely done with almost no pullback at all...

Ribs are a thing that might kinda challenge ya for a while but when ya master them.....Oh yeah.....
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Like smoke freak said, I have had ribs that had no pullback at all. They were pretty pricy but they were very good.

I have also had some that pulled back so much I had a built in handle for eating.

Oh by the way....Welcome, and post some pics of the ribage....

Comment

I know it's sacrilege and I'll probably catch hell over it. But, , ,don't get hung up on 321. Lotta folks do it and produce great stuff. But I have never felt the need to foil at all. As others have said, you'll come up with what works best for you. I do a bunch more grilling than I do smoking. I also do em on my Weber Kettle indirect. Once you get a feel for your equipment, you'll be able to cook anything, anywhere. Just keep an open mind and you'll rock it! And let us know how those ribs came out.
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X