Weber starter cubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber starter cubes

Who here uses them and if so how do you use them...Under the coals or over...

I have been tempted to buy them many times but have always passed...
    Craig
    sigpic

I used them before I bought a chimney starter. I put them under a few pieces when I mounded the charcoal up in the grill. They worked pretty well.

Comment

Under. They are basically fumeless and clean burning. I have no issues whatsoever using them... if my turkey fryer ain't available.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Andy View Post
        I used them before I bought a chimney starter. I put them under a few pieces when I mounded the charcoal up in the grill. They worked pretty well.
        One should have a chimney anyway... as you now know
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I noticed Scott used them to light his Vortex...Just curious how he went about it...
          Just bought a box at W-mart to give em a try...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I used them last night in the Vortex. Base layer of briqs, 2 cubes light, fill V 4/5 full. They work great and no ash from paper. Bought them initially to use traveling with Jumbo Joe so you dont have to pack a chimney.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott...Will try it...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Thanks Scott...Will try it...
                Just a heads up, they tend to flake a bit when taking them oot of packaging. Or at least mine do. Thought the "ease of use" could use some improvement. Butt the lil bastards do work
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  One should have a chimney anyway... as you now know
                  Well, I started out with a gas smoker. I liked it pretty well but it had trouble getting enough heat in the winter and with heavy meat loads, so I got a pit barrel cooker. I used the starter cubes with it. I had some problems with it getting hot enough when loaded up. Then I bought a chimney starter because I hate lighter fluid. I have about decided I got a bad batch of charcoal because it still doesn't act right.

Comment

OK I put two of them underneath a chimney full of lump...Lit the lil buggers and waited...Suddenly things were hot...Very hot...Flamed-up cubes lasted long enough to get the coals well lit...Seemed faster than what I get with paper...

At the price I paid, two cubes cost about 33 cents...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Just a heads up, they tend to flake a bit when taking them oot of packaging. Or at least mine do. Thought the "ease of use" could use some improvement. Butt the lil bastards do work
                      They did the same thing with me. I had white stuff flying everywhere when the wind was blowing.

Comment

I used to use them but decided newspaper is either going in the trash or find a use for it. It now starts charcoal.
                        ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Originally posted by Big Andy View Post

I have about decided I got a bad batch of charcoal because it still doesn't act right.
                          Do you store your charcoal inside? I grilled some filets on a relatives Weber last summer. Took aboot 2x the amount of time to start in a chimney with newspaper. The briquettes were stored outside for aboot 3 months,under cover, unopened, and apparently absorbed some of the moisture. The family said WHERE'S THE BEEF?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

At the price I paid, two cubes cost about 33 cents...
                            That's cheaper than buying the local rag, which has nothing in it and is only good for starting charcoal.

I bought an electric starter. Absolutely love it. I'm gonna have to check into these, they'd work great at comps.
                            sigpic

Comment

Weber starter cubes

Craig, had some previously used coals in the Vortex from last night. Put in a Weber cube and lit. Covered with used briqs, and in aboot 10-12 minutes, she was ready to go again. Temps on relight of used briqs was abooot 375 on lid. Good enough for me ..... Reverse seared some marinated Flank strips in aboot 8-10 minutes, then closed all vents. She could have done more cookin for sure. This was from inside a 22.5" kettle. Been messing around more with the Vortex lately. Not only is it a great cooking tool, it's really economic on fuel use. The re-lighting of the used briquettes with the cubes worked slick

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X