Company Cook Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Cook Off

Well it's been a long time since I've made a post here. So here goes nothin'.
    I've entered a cook off hosted by the company that I work for. It's only open to employees, but we have several accomplished pit masters, so it won't be an walk in the park victory for me.
    It's peoples choice, winner take all. Only judged on flavor and texture, not appearance. We can cook any meat we choose, and side dish if we want. I'm definitely making pit beans, just because I've never lost a comp with them. But I don't know what to choose for meat. Although I've never failed at poultry, I'm not willing to take the chance of with it. I want to do something that the majority would prefer.
    So if you weren't entered in the cook off, as a voter, what would your preferred meat be?
    I know one of the guys is doing a pork loin. Don't ask me why, but he is. Another one is doing PP and brisket, and another is doing ribs. I almost feel like I should do ribs. I mean everyone loves ribs. Right? One will be using a BGE for his meat, which I feel puts the rest of us at a disadvantage, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I think.

Tom

Hey Stranger!

Personally, I would cook what you think you cook best.... In this case, I think ribs would be good, if somebody else is cooking Brisket and PP, and pork loin? Maybe Wings?..... just thinking oot lood here.

Good to see you back aroond, and best of Luck
    sigpic

Comment

Of all the meats to cook for a cook-off, I wouldn't choose pork loin.

I love beef off the smoker, and if you have burnt ends, that's a winner in my book. Ribs are also a great entry...cook for your audience and don't make it too spicy...I have also found that the majority of people prefer fall off the bone ribs...they just rave about how tender they are. I'm not personally a pulled pork guy...every turn in box I have ever entered I was like "it's good, but ehhh, it's pulled pork".

Just my $.02.

While I have your attention, Glad that you are back and posting, and I hope you continue to stop in.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Consider doing something different like pheasant, ultimate burger, home made sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey there stranger!! Glad ya stopped in, pulled chuck is a huge hit at my work place!! BBQ beef is great, and you can keep it simple yet great flavors!!

Good luck!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stevebollar View Post
            Consider doing something different like pheasant, ultimate burger, home made sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I like the "Ultimate Burger" idea also Me, and a few buds that hang oot over a weekend at different venues aboot a couple Thymes a year decided "Ultimate Burgers" was gonna be our next cook

Personally, don't know anybody who does not like a big ol kick ass burger.

Good idea!!
            sigpic

Comment

back Tom...You have been missed...

I do remember some of the best brisket pics I have ever seen in your posts...

Do what makes ya happy...What you're most comfortable with...

And post pics bud...Remember? We love pics...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Thighs or ribs

Comment

Hey, Tom. Great to see you posting.

Hope things are going well.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  So if you weren't entered in the cook off, as a voter, what would your preferred meat be?
                  RIBS!!!

I love ribs!!

But you gotta cook for your audience.
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Welcome back!!!
                    How aboot some CSRs... All the taste of regular ribs without the bone.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                      Hey there stranger!! Glad ya stopped in, pulled chuck is a huge hit at my work place!! BBQ beef is great, and you can keep it simple yet great flavors!!

Good luck!!
                      With what you and the group have mentioned so far Tom I agree with Brian on pulled chuck... with a practice cook, a good seasoning or rub and Brian's 9 Hour Burgundy Mushrooms broth in the mix I think you would have a strong chance as the winner!
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Well my dearest Gunny, missed your face my friend! You are an expert at it all, go for what you want to have fun with. As a side, I would make "Gunny's drummies" as they are affectionately known around here. Those blow my parties away every thyme! Love you!!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

You just ordered a sizable quantity of GP rub. I’da thought ribs were on your mind. Don’t fear the ceramic. You got this.

And - nice to see ya Gunny :)
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post

Good luck!!
                            Funny he should say that. I THINK a bag of Just Add Beef fell into your box yesterday...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Welcome back Gunny! Great to see you posting again!
                              I say, go with your gut... what ever you think your audience is gonna like. No matter what you do, it's gonna rock. Personally, I love doing ribs. I'd go with that...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X