TasunkaWitko's Greek-style fatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TasunkaWitko's Greek-style fatty

this is the first (and, in my opinion, best) fatty i've made, and i'd like to share it with y'all ~

-------------------

Last year, i made a Greek-style fatty based loosely on the gyro, which is predominant under many names in Middle-Eastern style cuisine, of which Greek cuisine is a part.

Here is the basic recipe i used:
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
    • 2 pounds ground lamb (a 50/50 combination of lamb and pork would be great, too)
    • 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
    • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
    • 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1) Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

2) Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

Since I still had a few fresh herbs from my herb garden, I used these as much as possible - also, I may added just a bit of a "secret" ingredient that will, for now, go un-named.

I then spread the mixture out flat on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that were at least 18 inches long. I laid out some fillings - I sprinkled a little of the fabled "secret ingredient" on the meat, then for the flilling: I used 2 bunches of green onions (chopped) and 4 cloves of chopped garlic, both sauted a bit until they were soft and carmelized, and spread them out over two chopped vine tomatoes. If I would have had any, i would have used sun-dried tomatoes in the filling and possibly the meat mixture. I also added a few torn-up mint leaves to the filling and topped with about 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese. Feel free to add any other apporpriate fillings that would normally be common to Greek food (perhaps kalamata olives and/or spinach leaves?).

I then rolled the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. One thing that helped was that I left 2 or 3 inches of one end of the meat with no stuffing on it and also about an inch around the edges. I tried to keep it as tight as possible as I went, pressing in the sides a bit. Once the meat was completely rolled in the wrap, i twisted the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap was tight and stored it in the refrigerator overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up and the flavors to marry.

The next day, I tossed this on the smoker and smoked low and slow until done. Smoke with what? That was a long-thought question. The obvious choices, hickory, cherry, apple etc. are not native to Greece as far as i know. I ended up using apple and hickory, but I think any smoke will do, as long as you like it. I have heard of people using grape vines and this would be interesting and also keep with the Greek theme, but I have none available here. Also, if you want, try throwing on a few garlic cloves to smoke and some fresh herbs. One thing for sure, it is suggested to keep the smoke light in order to really bring out the flavor. You can do this by using some mild woods or, if you only have "heavy" woods, you can just not apply as much smoke as you normally would.

To help keep it moist, I basted every now and then by brushing on a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and lemon juice with the addition of a few chopped herbs. An internal temperature of around 165 degrees is just fine, but you can go higher if you choose.

When done, I let it rest for a few minutes, then sliced and serve it in pita pockets with chopped cucumber, tomoatoes, sliced onions and of course feta cheese. I also wanted to offer tzatziki sauce (recipe below) as a topping, but never got around to making it. If I was really ambitious, I would have tried to make home-made pitas, too but the fatty reall was plenty of work!

About the mint, I know that mint and lamb are supposed to go together, and i didn't mind it this way, but the flavor was a little strange for what i am used to. If someone is used to Greek or Middle Eastern food, i think they would have no trouble leaving the mint in, but if you're not that adventurous, you might want to leave it out.

Tzatziki Sauce
    • 16 ounces plain yogurt
    • 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped or shredded
    • Pinch kosher salt
    • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
    • 5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint.

Yield: 1&1/2 cups

And some q-view -

Going on the grate (disregard temp readings! it was my first smoke with this unit and temperatures dropped very far every time I opened the lid!):

Gettin' some smoke (apple/hickory) -

Starting to look really good (btw, how's that shoulder looking?)!

160-165 degrees and resting (temperature keeps rising a bit as it rests)....

I think this turned out really well ~

Here is the finished product stuffed into a pita - was too busy with temp control on smoker to chop veggies into a nice salad to go with it.

And there it is, a very good, in my opinion, rendition of a fatty that has all the essence and falvors of Greece.

P.S. - in case you haven't figured it out yet, the "secret ingredient" is Cavender's Greek Seasoning!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Looks awesome. Nice job. Thanks for the recipes...
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Man...ya done that right nice....Yeah Baby~! Tasty..
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That looks awesome. from me too.
        Here's my version http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3413

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          P.S. - in case you haven't figured it out yet, the "secret ingredient" is Cavender's Greek Seasoning!
          Doh! I was going to say crushed pistachio nuts!
          "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Talk about perfection!
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
              Talk about perfection!

DITTO....Just a beauty Ron.... on me reload....

Comment

Fantastic recipe and a great idea, with them pita pockets Fabulous! Thanks for sharing this.
                Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I got'a say that is some fine looking grub... to ya...
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

That actually looks too good to eat. Thanks for the recipe.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Awesome looking foodage, and a great tutorial!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Taz,

That looks awesome (shoulder too!). It's a great idea and very well executed...the fattie was so perfectly round, for a minute it looked like you were smoking a plain chub of sausage.

I'd take some of that in a minute with some extra onions and tzatziki sauce please!
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Tasfastic! Don't know that I've seen a better looking fattie! Thanx for sharing.
                          sigpic

GOSM/propane
                          UDS (Cam)/lump
                          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                          Weber Genesis/propane
                          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

hey, guys - thanks for the comments, compliments and the points!

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                            the fattie was so perfectly round, for a minute it looked like you were smoking a plain chub of sausage.
                            the secret lies in the preparation:

2) Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.
                            by running the ground meat through the food processor, it made it extremely fine, like a paste. was very easy to flatten, fill and then roll. as you can see, the resulting fatty looks very nice and even develops a kind of "skin," very similar to a cased sausage.

i made this with lamb, but the same idea should work with pork, beef etc.
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Looks awesome
                              sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Working...
                              X