Uds diffuser idea yes/no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uds diffuser idea yes/no

Hay people need some input from the smoke uds gurus.
    Iam making a diffuser Plate for my uds my idea is to cut a V slot in the center of the plate where I could put my wood instead of putting it directly into the basket. What do you all think uploadfromtaptalk1464830909568.jpg
    That's a ruff sketch of my idea . Can't wait to hear the ideaS

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Problem being with that is the chunk’s likely to catch fire..along with the grease on the diffuser. Bad.

Hmm you could probably fab up a sliding “door” for over a say 3” hole in the center of the diffuser to allow you to drop chunks down into the basket. Just a hunk of metal with a screw and locknut to let it swing over the hole...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I think you'd have to put the plate right on top of the basket in order for it to get hot enough to make the wood smoke. Which would knock the hell out of your burn time.

Maybe a strip of metal or a "v tray" on top of the basket for the wood to set on and mount the deflector farther up in the drum? Seems like deflector works better about halfway between the basket and the bottom cook grate or even a little higher.

I like the idea of being able to have a bit more control of the smoking wood rather than just burying it in the basket and hoping for the best. Not quite sure how to do it though.
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I have a bolts installed at 19 inches from the top of my uds. The bolts allow me to install a weber grate. On the grate I turn a 5 quart stainless steel bowl upside down (wrapped in tin foil for cleaning) and this acts as my deflector.

During the winter i turn is right side up, fill with sand (about an inch from the top) cover with tin foil. Now I have a heat sink.

Just an idea.

Good Luck
        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X