Pork butt on MES30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork butt on MES30

Plan on smoking a pork butt this weekend..every butt deserves a good rub. All rubbed up and in the fridge. First time smoke for me. I am using my A mazen smoker filled with hickory pellets. On which side of the smoker do i put the box? Do i need to use a water pan on the bottom? Im sure to have more questions since its my first time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have been playing with a mes 30 and today it was so humid the pellets went out on me. I see some guys are microwaving them first, also if you pull open the chip loader a little and the chip burner pan a little too to draft it. On previous cooks though it seemed fine. Every cooker I have tried the amazin pellet smoker in I needed 2 go'S at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not had a MES in several years, so cant really remeber how they are configured near the bottom/heating element. Butt, my guess would be place it on the opposite side of the heating element. Might check Bearcarvers posts, he has A LOT of posts using the MES, and placement of everything imaginable.
      sigpic

Comment

Yup, talk to Bearcarver! He's the MES Guru! I'm sure he will respond soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by grantw View Post
          I have been playing with a mes 30 and today it was so humid the pellets went out on me. I see some guys are microwaving them first, also if you pull open the chip loader a little and the chip burner pan a little too to draft it. On previous cooks though it seemed fine. Every cooker I have tried the amazin pellet smoker in I needed 2 go'S at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I pulled the chip pan and loader out of mine, lot's of air flow to the Amazing Maze! I also pulled the H2O pan also, not really useful IMHO.

Comment

I use one of these. No worries and lasts the whole cook. MES cold smoker attachment. Burns pellets and chips. I've got some mojo bricks to try out in it as well.
            Attached Files
            Weber Smoky Joe
            18" Weber Silver
            22.5" Weber Gold
            22.5" Weber Silver
            UDS X 2
            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
            Blackstone three burner flat top
            5" AMZNPS
            Vortex x 2
            Maverick ET 73
            Maverick ET 732
            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
            Pitmaster iQue 110
            sigpic

Comment

The water pan in mine catches a lot of grease so it's staying. I honestly think on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry I'm late---Got Side-tracked Big-Time!!

Water pan in, but NO WATER in Pan.

Where to put the AMNPS depends on which Generation MES you have.

Best places:
                Gen #1 Goes on support rods in bottom, to the left of the Chip burner.
                Gen #2.5 Bluetooth Goes on bottom rack all the way to right. Then open & close Chip dumper to allow more or less air flow to AMNPS.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                  Sorry I'm late---Got Side-tracked Big-Time!!

Water pan in, but NO WATER in Pan.

Where to put the AMNPS depends on which Generation MES you have.

Best places:
                  Gen #1 Goes on support rods in bottom, to the left of the Chip burner.
                  Gen #2.5 Bluetooth Goes on bottom rack all the way to right. Then open & close Chip dumper to allow more or less air flow to AMNPS.

Bear
                  Im assuming i have gen 1 cuz its not Bluetooth. Which rack should I place the meat? Do I place it right on the rack? Sorry for the questions but it will be my first time...thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                    I use one of these. No worries and lasts the whole cook. MES cold smoker attachment. Burns pellets and chips. I've got some mojo bricks to try out in it as well.
                    Can you use this other than cold smoking?

Comment

Originally posted by Oh_Shoot View Post
                      Can you use this other than cold smoking?

Absolutely. I use it exclusively. I've never used the tray. I got myself am amzn same time I got the mes. Now that I have this thing I used it exclusively.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                      Weber Smoky Joe
                      18" Weber Silver
                      22.5" Weber Gold
                      22.5" Weber Silver
                      UDS X 2
                      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                      Blackstone three burner flat top
                      5" AMZNPS
                      Vortex x 2
                      Maverick ET 73
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                      Pitmaster iQue 110
                      sigpic

Comment

Im assuming i have gen 1 cuz its not Bluetooth. Which rack should I place the meat? Do I place it right on the rack? Sorry for the questions but it will be my first time...thanks in advance

If it's Gen #1 it has the 2 support rods going from the left wall to the left side of the Chip burner assembly. The AMNPS sits on those rods. The AMNPS was actually designed to just barely fit on those rods.

If it's a Gen & 2 it has a slanted drip plate the whole width of the smoker with the right side higher than the left, and a little water pan hanging on the left end.
                        If it's that one let me know & I'll tell you how to deal with that one.

For the meat, if I only use one rack, it is #2.
                        2 racks of meat?---#1 and #2.
                        3 racks of meat, #1, #2, and #3.
                        I never use rack number 4---Too close to heat.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          If it's Gen #1 it has the 2 support rods going from the left wall to the left side of the Chip burner assembly. The AMNPS sits on those rods. The AMNPS was actually designed to just barely fit on those rods.

If it's a Gen & 2 it has a slanted drip plate the whole width of the smoker with the right side higher than the left, and a little water pan hanging on the left end.
                          If it's that one let me know & I'll tell you how to deal with that one.

For the meat, if I only use one rack, it is #2.
                          2 racks of meat?---#1 and #2.
                          3 racks of meat, #1, #2, and #3.
                          I never use rack number 4---Too close to heat.

Bear
                          Thanks Bear this is my current setup...just started 12 hr smoke. I dont have a thermometer but its a 9.32lb butt

Comment

Thanks Bear this is my current setup...just started 12 hr smoke. I dont have a thermometer but its a 9.32lb butt

Comment

Set the temp to 225 and timer to 12 hours

Comment

Working...
                              X