No announcement yet.

Apple wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my stick burner I have never found apple to be that appealing...
    In a charcoal smoker where the wood smolders it is much better...

If I had only one wood to do all my cooking with it would be Mulberry...
    Way better than apple in my opinion...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Apple wood

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      If I had only one wood to do all my cooking with it would be Mulberry...

If Fruitless Mulberry is the same??? I would have access to an unlimited supply for free at the local landfill. In West Texas from post WW II until it was banned in the late '80s, Fruitless Mulberries were the predominant tree used in residential landscaping. It is common practice to prune those trees back almost to the trunk every few years and you'll see large piles of 4 inch plus limbs discarded at the landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by HornedToad; 02-07-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Apple wood

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
        If you have a chance, try mix of apple and pecan at a 2/1 ratio. That little touch of pecan will put the aroma over the top!

I was probably going to do that by chance...

I was planning on doing my briskets with Pecan as usual and then throwing the Apple on top of the Pecan coal bed when I put the pork ribs on and wrap the briskets in butchers paper to finish. I'll try that ratio throughout the rib smoke!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
          Apple is my favorite by far.
          X2
          sigpic

Comment

Mulberry around here is NOT fruitless...Damn birds eat the berries and crap their purple craps everywhere...And from there grows another damn mulberry tree...Like weeds around here...Like Mesquite in Texas, folks will damn near pay ya to cut it down...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Apple wood

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Like Mesquite in Texas, folks will damn near pay ya to cut it down...

They just grubbed the land next to my neighborhood to build more houses...

How much Mesquite did you say you needed... they'll pay ya to haul it off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post

How much Mesquite did you say you needed...
                None. Ever. You guys need yer tastebuds examined.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  None. Ever. You guys need yer tastebuds examined.
                  Yup. Never cared for Mesquite. I guess it's an acquired taste...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Yup. Never cared for Mesquite. I guess it's an acquired taste...
                    Marlboro is by far better. just saying.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I like skeet mixed with hickory or pecan...used on beef...And only in a live fire with no smoldering...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't care for Mesquite for smoking, but every once in awhile I like to use it for grilling steaks.
                        Jim

Comment

WA is known for apple and cherry trees, but Alder still rocks. lol

Been burning some of my apple tree in the wood stove this winter. Cherry is something to behold. my favorite. I get some from relatives in E. WA on visits.

Still love our Alder trees for second place.

Comment

Have to add hickory is only burned in the MES and always under 180 degrees

Comment

Back long ago in an earlier lifetime I managed a number of stores that specialized in a certain top-shelf brand of whole bone-in ham. In the older stores we used older roll-in smokers that dropped sawdust on to electric hot plates to create smoke for a second smoking session in store. During the major holidays of Easter & Christmas (when we did nearly 65% of annual sales) the hams went straight to sale as they did come in from our processing plant fully smoked and ready to eat, so we could not smoke in store due to differences from that added step.

We sourced our wood dust from a restaurant & retail food supply outfit located in Neenah, WI and the ratio used was strictly 70% apple/30% hickory (by weight) that we mixed in-store.

The funny thing to me was that as they built newer locations in my area they went away from the tried 'n true and had liquid smoke cabinets installed. With enough time and enough locations customers would often travel to either of the 2 original locations to the area to buy their hams during the rest of the year as the difference was that noticeable and pronounced.

...go figure.
                              ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Working...
                              X