This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigArm Terry View Post
    We are all still pretty much alive and not poisoned. ;)
    That's why we keep you folk out there on the prairie tho LOL!

Thanks Terry. No elm left here to try... dammit.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thank you kindly Terry. I will read up on elm. You would assume that really almost any hardwood thats not a evergreen would be OK to use.
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        That's why we keep you folk out there on the prairie tho LOL
        I'm in western Montana ya big dummie! :D no flatland out here. ;). .
        Originally posted by Smoked-Meat View Post
        Thank you kindly Terry. I will read up on elm. You would assume that really almost any hardwood thats not a evergreen would be OK to use.
        Yes sir, I would think so too, with a few exceptions of course. Around here, as far as I know, you can use anything that lose's its leaves, Larch lose's its needles but it is an evergreen. I will say though, I had some beef roast slow cooked over a open fire of Larch and it was excellent. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by BigArm Terry View Post
          Hey Ken, if I may, your list, as MANY others, states that elm is not good for smoking food. I have responded to this in other forums so I might as well say it here too. I have used elm for more than 8 years, its a great wood. I have lots of it on my place so its my main wood, I also use native choke cherry, quaken aspen, fruit trees, willow, etc. I and a great many friends are living proof that elm is just fine. We are all still pretty much alive and not poisoned. ;) thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents worth. :)
          Another elm user here....Works fine for me.
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am with you Bubba, mesquite is one of my top 3. Apple and cherry being the other 2, cherry is #1. Last couple of times that I have done chicken I have gotten a little carried away with the apple. Never used walnut or elm. Don't have any plans. Don't have any elm tree's anyhow, all we use walnuts for around here is the nuts themselves and then for firewood in the fireplace and stuff. Elms don't fair too well in ice storms anyhow. They just can't handle the weight and then the openness of this part of Kansas just brings too much wind year round. If it wasn't for the oak tree's I doubt the cherry and apple tree's could make it.

Walnut trees are good for some things though besides the stain. Take them green straight off the tree and husk them. Take the husks spread over the ground, add some water. Next morning you'll have plenty earth worms for fishing. That walnut oil is also great for painting hides and such.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Ken. I've used it quite a few times.
              Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
              1 Maverick ET-73
              1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Ken........i thought Black Walnut was NOT a good smoking wood?

i have a couple of HUGE trees that needs to come down.
                Just find your local wood turning club - they'll take all the black walnut they can get ;-)
                hell I know I would !
                Just don't burn it - no not even in a smoker !

But I do have to say that if you're using the bradley bisquettes then I find the cherry to be harsh and not very pleasant at all. Whereas the oak is really mild and so far I've found it well suited to just about everything where I really didn't like the cherry at all.

And yes I do intend to sort out a proper (read cheap-to-run) wood smoker soon.
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I hope it's ok to revive an old thread, but I thought this was interesting and had a question about pine and fir. I thought Black Forest Hams were a result of using Black Forest Fir/Pine wood for smoking, which gives them that acrid bite around the edges. Am I missing something? I don't particulary like BF hams, so there is no chance I would use pine to smoke anyways.
                  Thanks for the link Doc and thanks Ken for the chart.
                  Also Like to throw in my vote in favor of mesquite Kingsford makes a mesquite brickette that is very mild. Also Almond wood. If you get a chance at that, go for it, kinda gives off a toasted seaseme seed flavor.

JT
                  JT

Comment

thanks for bumping this back i have been using more apple,plum,pear & cherry with hickory & oak.
                    will not use elm or cotton wood!!!
                    Terry here
                    Still have Christene

Comment

By George the only thing missing from the list now is corn cobs. Even though its not a wood. Great for fish with nice light smoke flavor.
                      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Bay tree wood.

The smoke is flavoured very similiar to the leaves. Quite aromatic but seems to be at the lowish end as far as lignin is concerned (the more lignin the harsher the smoke flavour and the greter the chance of gettin the 'creosote' taint)

Lilac is my current favourite. You can really pile on the smoke flavour for relatively short cooks without risk of creosote.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the list, Ken.

I also questioned the walnut in a post a while back - when I have time I'll dig it up - and was highly encouraged NOT to use it. This was english walnut and my poor o'l pappy-in-law had just brought me about half a pickup load after he trimmed up his tree. It has long since been pitched into the neighbors wood pile..

Comment

I have a huge pile of English Laurel. I know you can't smoke with laurel, but English Laurel is not a true Laurel, but related closely to the cherry tree. I'm almost certain it'll be great, but want some experienced input...any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by marcuspi View Post
                              I have a huge pile of English Laurel. I know you can't smoke with laurel, but English Laurel is not a true Laurel, but related closely to the cherry tree. I'm almost certain it'll be great, but want some experienced input...any thoughts?
                              Welcome to Smoked-Meat Marcus.. I wish I could help here, I am not familiar with either of the woods you are talking about.. Someone should be along that has used the wood you speak of...
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by marcuspi View Post
                                Also known as cherry laurel, it is in the same family and genus as cherry and apple and many other fruit trees. That does not mean it is automatically good to use as a smoking wood IMHO. The best thing to do is to burn a bit of it to check its aroma, if it is pleasant you may be on to something. The next step would be to cook a piece of chicken or a sausage to see if food will be edible when using it.
                                Some info on it here-

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology...eet.cfm?ID=806

If you try it be sure to post the results. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X