Pork butt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork butt help

I have smoked briskets butts etc. but im changing it up a bit so wuestions as follows::::
    1) im using an injectionfor my butts, i was going to inject throw the spare in a bag and let it marinade for a few hours pull it out rub it down and let set rubbed and injected for 6-8 hours before smoking... Sound good or forget the marinade part and just inject?
    2) i have never done more than one butt at a time. I know cook to temp good est being 1-1.5 hrs per pound, but if im doing 2 9lb butts still follow the same est of time ( around 9 or so hours) or double it like it was one 18lb butt? Thanks for the help

Howdy Andrew.. Welcome to Smoked-Meat.. It really takes a lot to hurt a butt.. I would pass on the marinading and just do a good injection if you want and follow up with a good rub..

As for cooking time, you may want to toss that out the window since you want to cook to temp.. I say that due to if one of those butts hit a plateau it could sit for a hour or more in the 140° - 160° range before it starts to move.. So starting with more time than you need is your best bet and if it is done early wrap in foil and place in a warm oven or cooler till you are ready to pull.. Treat it as one butt but not as one 18 pound.. That make sense??

Just my two cents... I know our other Misfits will chime in as well..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Time

Sounds good i was just wonderin if i should give myself 12 hours so i have grace time, or 18 hours ( one 18 lb butt).... So unless anyone else has experience doing multiples ill start it twelve hours early then just foil the shit outa them if they go early.... Also any good bbq recipies for pulled pork. I got a great one for brisket but its not a good thick souce for pulled pork

Comment

Give yourself plenty of time, don't ever short yourself time. As TH said, it's by temp, not by time. I've never had a "recommended" time work out. I've cooked a 8 lb butt in 6 hours, and I've had a 5 lb butt take 10. No ground rule will ever be 100%. If one goes early, no problem with foiling it and putting it in a towel, then in a cooler to keep hot. It'll stay hot for hours that way. Good luck!
        Don

Humphrey's Pint
        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
        Anova One Sous Vide
        AMPS
        Purple Thermapen
        Maverick ET-733
        DigIQ DX2
        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

I do two butts at a time all the time.. can not remember the last time I did just one...

235* on twin 8-9 pound butts you are looking at 12 hours give or take 30 minutes... Good luck! oh yeah inject if ya like..
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
            Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

I do two butts at a time all the time.. can not remember the last time I did just one...

235* on twin 8-9 pound butts you are looking at 12 hours give or take 30 minutes... Good luck! oh yeah inject if ya like..
            I have never found the need for injecting butts...They just don't need it...My opinion only...

And they always take a lot longer than I plan...

from Kansas
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

from Washington

These fine Gentlemen have you covered. Good Luck!
              sigpic

Comment

Not really necessary to inject, but whatever floats your boat, but certainly no need to marinade in my opinion. Run your cooker around 250 and 12 hours should do it easily, butt like the others said, start early and they'll hold for hours after they're done.
                Best of luck and to Smoked-Meat.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Don't need to double the time for two pieces of meat, not the same as one big double sized piece. The smoker will take a bit longer to come back to temp with more meat, butt we's talking 5-10 minutes in your case. Now if you put 15 butts in the smoker, yea all that cold meat will cool the smoker for a while.

Inject and rub, toss on the smoker, good to go. Always cook to temp, and if you expect 9 hours, then start 11 hours. If they finish early wrap and in a cooler with lotsa towels, blankets. Heck I even have an old pillow to fill the rest of the air area when I don't fill the cooler. Will stay hot for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    I have never found the need for injecting butts...They just don't need it...My opinion only...

And they always take a lot longer than I plan...

from Kansas
                    Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                    Not really necessary to inject, but whatever floats your boat, but certainly no need to marinade in my opinion. Run your cooker around 250 and 12 hours should do it easily, butt like the others said, start early and they'll hold for hours after they're done.
                    Best of luck and to Smoked-Meat.

I have injected several times in the past.. Not for moisture but for flavor.. I would take the rub I would use on the outside and add it to water and dissolve it and that way I had not only the rub on the barque but inside the meat.. Then I would rub down that bad ass piece of pig and pop it in the smoker..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      I have injected several times in the past.. Not for moisture but for flavor.. I would take the rub I would use on the outside and add it to water and dissolve it and that way I had not only the rub on the barque but inside the meat.. Then I would rub down that bad ass piece of pig and pop it in the smoker..
                      Agreed here.. I love fresh cider use to inject...
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

I did some salt pepper apple juice and white grape juice ( and some rub) for my injection.... Then i rubbed it threw it in the vacume sealer and am letting it rest over night ( well for 8 hours) then ill be sparking the grill around 0500 should be done by 1700 with about an hour rest time... Whats something else fun to smoke... Done full brisket pork butts ribs...... What do yall use for sauce fornpulled pork? Home made or store bought?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                          What do yall use for sauce fornpulled pork? Home made or store bought?
                          Before sticky-saucing that pulled pork up...

SoflaQer's famous Pork finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
                          2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
                          1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
                          1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
                          1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients simmer a bit mixing well.

I recommend adding some of the Liquid Gold to this.. the defatted pan/foil juice. Also... if you can't find that salt-lick Tony C's seasoning..Mad Hunky GP preforms admirably

This is a light liquidy mix, and is "spritzed" (geez I hate that word) directly onto the sandwich/pork pile at serving time. Do not apply to whole pan..it can cause "mushiness" if it is allowed to sit on the meat.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

All great advice here... you are covered. Onliest thing I can add is when I do pulled pork, I do it ahead of time, pull and vac bag into 2 lb portions, flatten, and freeze. Then when it's time, pull them out of the freeze, thaw, and place said bags in simmering hot water (about 190 degrees) for maybe 10 minutes. Works like a charm, and if you do more butts than you need, you'll always have PP at your disposal.

You will be amazed at the intensified flavor.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                              I did some salt pepper apple juice and white grape juice ( and some rub) for my injection.... Then i rubbed it threw it in the vacume sealer and am letting it rest over night ( well for 8 hours) then ill be sparking the grill around 0500 should be done by 1700 with about an hour rest time... Whats something else fun to smoke... Done full brisket pork butts ribs...... What do yall use for sauce fornpulled pork? Home made or store bought?

I'm a little late for this warning, but since you injected it, you should get it from 40° IT to 140° IT in no longer than 4 hours.
                              That's why I never inject a Butt----I don't like to rush my Smokes for any reason.

Here's one I did as a Step by Step:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21576

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X