What is the real temperature???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the real temperature???

As a newbie I have a ton of questions and expect that I will find most of the answers here. I have an expensive piece of meat that I will be smoking tomorrow and want to get it right. I have a temperature puzzle that I need sorting soonest.

I got myself an ECB smoker two months ago and modified it immediately. Added two Brinkmann Temperature bimetal thermometers (only ones Home Depot carried) to it. I calibrated these thermometers using boiling water as a reference before installing. They read ~215F when in the water. I also bought a ChefAlarm thermometer with meat probe. I checked the calibration of the probe and it was perfect.

I did a few smokes with the Brinkmann Temperature bimetal thermometers telling me that I was smoking at 220-240F. The meat probe readings were proved once the meat was carved. All seemed well.

I then bought an air temperature probe with grate clip for the ChefAlarm. Checked the calibration on it as well.

Smoked a pork shoulder butt next. The two Brinkmann Temperature bimetal thermometers gave me temperatures of 220-250F during the smoke. The air temperature probe was at 362F. It was a few inches from the side of the roast (near the side of the grate). The meat probe was in the roast monitoring it. When the meat probe got to 195F I pulled it off of the grate and put it into a cooler to rest. The meat turned out to be perfect.

I have ceramic briquettes in the water pan covered in aluminum foil.

I was then wondering why the air temperature probe showed a higher temperature than the Brinkmann Temperature bimetal thermometers.

Yesterday afternoon I lit the smoker not worrying about a desired temperature range. I put the air temperature probe in the middle of the top grate. Next to it I put the meat probe held in place an inch above the grill with a small ball of aluminum foil.

I cleaned the black from the previous smokes off of the Brinkmann thermometers “probes” before starting this test.

Both Brinkmann thermometers were roughly 280F while the air temperature probe was 364F and the meat probe 372F.

I understand that thermometer positioning will give different readings but clearly the Thermoworks probes are indicating that the smoker is much hotter that what the Brinkmann thermometers are showing.

The meat probe when it is in the meat seems to be running true. I trust it.

Which temperature would you use for determining the temperature of the smoker, the one from the bimetal thermometers or the air temperature probe?

ECB 1.jpg
    Last edited by AlwaysHopeful; 06-21-2015, 07:56 AM.

I say run another test controlling the heat (if thats possible with an ECB) so that the probe therms are reading 250...Then check what your brinkman therms are reading and there you have a reference to go on next time you cook on it...

And to Smoked-Meat
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

again

And my next suggestion is to upgrade to a smoker better suited to an expensive piece of meat...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I seems you have two that are pretty close... one that is off... without being able to test them with water it is hard to say, other than I would go with the two that are close. Is the smoker electric?? If so 350 is really high for an electric smoker.. water tests are your best and if you got a good meat thermom you will be okay as that is the most important...

whatcha smoken tomorrow?
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Your air temp probe appears to wacky is my guess. And to the forum.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

ECB's are notoriously finicky when it comes to temps, hot spots, etc...... And I hate to say it buddy, but you shouldn't expect much out of it, when you have more invested in your thermometers than your smoker...... Sorry, ehh.
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

The smoker is using charcoal briquettes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysHopeful View Post
                The smoker is using charcoal briquettes.
                Then you are getting hot spots here and there.
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

G'day IrishChef! When I bought the ECB I did not know if smoking was for me. Now I am seeing a WSM for next season. The ECB will produce dinners for me this year though. The meat probe seems to be reliable and this will be my guide. This means that my end point timing could be way off from time to time.....

I will be trying SMOKE FREAK's plan real soon.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Thanks barkonbutts, but wouldn't the water pan filled with ceramic briquettes sort of even that out since it is between the heat source and the top grill or am I missing something (probably true as I have only been at this for a very short time)......

Comment

I would do it again. Light your fire and once you have noted the temps for the different thermometers I would switch them around & note the temps. Put them in the exact place where the previous one was. This will tell you if they are reading differently. Also, I am guessing that you have hot spots in your cooker and that is why you are getting the different temps. If so, maybe a diffuser will help. At least the food is coming out good. I have hot spots in my MES and I adjust accordingly.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysHopeful View Post
                        Thanks barkonbutts, but wouldn't the water pan filled with ceramic briquettes sort of even that out since it is between the heat source and the top grill or am I missing something (probably true as I have only been at this for a very short time)......
                        Think how bad it might be without the pan fulla stuff...Personally I used sand in the water pan...Doin the same job but you can only expect so much from these type smokers...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Those bi-metal thermos are really inconsistent (in my experience). The Chef Alarm is excellent, mine has always been dead nuts right on.
                          What they posted bout the water pan, sand should help, more even density.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I merged this thread with the Thermometer Puzzle thread since they were basically the same OP.

Hopefully this will make it easier to find the answers.

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            I say run another test controlling the heat (if thats possible with an ECB) so that the probe therms are reading 250...Then check what your brinkman therms are reading and there you have a reference to go on next time you cook on it...
                            Given the location of the Brinkmann thermos, I think this ^^^ is the only way you will get any useful information out of them. Using their absolute value will be problematic but using them relative to another, likely more accurate, thermometer located towards the center on the cooking grate seems to be the way to go.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I know it's frustrating but a good thermometer is key to all this stuff we do. Spend a few bucks on a good one to save a ton on food and frustration.

One thing I noticed about your OP was that water was boiling at 215°. Water boils at 212° sea level. So, given where you are, I suspect you are not below sea level.

I mention this because I live at 5300 ft elevation. So, for me, water boils at 202°. Trust me, it affects a calibration and the way things get cooked out here. So, give this a look and perhaps we can get things dialed in a bit more:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bo...de-d_1344.html
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X