Uds drain hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uds drain hole

I did some research on uds with drain holes and didn't find much so I did it myself . I have a UDS and sometimes I get grease fires at due to the amount of grease at the bottom of the UDS so I tapered a channel to one point at the bottom of my smoker where the grease will collect under the ash pan and I drilled a hole and placed a 1/2 inch bolt with a washer bent at about 75° so the grease will flow easily out the smoker .

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Into a pan, dirt, grass....?

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
      Into a pan, dirt, grass....?
      Iam going to use a stainless steel bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by babyshaq270 View Post
        I did some research on uds with drain holes and didn't find much so I did it myself . I have a UDS and sometimes I get grease fires at due to the amount of grease at the bottom of the UDS so I tapered a channel to one point at the bottom of my smoker where the grease will collect under the ash pan and I drilled a hole and placed a 1/2 inch bolt with a washer bent at about 75° so the grease will flow easily out the smoker .

Would be nice with a better 1st pic, but I get the idea! Good thinkin Mon!!
        Last edited by Mark R; 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Not sure of why. if it's open when you are cooking it's going to cause an air leak. When draining, larger chunks will clog it up.

All you would have had to do is when you're done cooking, remove grates & basket, then pour about 2 quarts of hot/boiling water in to the UDS, swirl it around, and then turn the drum upside down and let the everything drain out. Much easier and the chunks will also come out.

This is why you don't see much about drain holes in UDS's.

JMHO-YMMV
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            Not sure of why. if it's open when you are cooking it's going to cause an air leak. When draining, larger chunks will clog it up.

All you would have had to do is when you're done cooking, remove grates & basket, then pour about 2 quarts of hot/boiling water in to the UDS, swirl it around, and then turn the drum upside down and let the everything drain out. Much easier and the chunks will also come out.

This is why you don't see much about drain holes in UDS's.

JMHO-YMMV
            Actually most UDS's have air hole's valves on the bottom. What's the difference if low on side or bottom?

Comment

Air intakes are controlled in one way or another and they don't have the possibility of getting clogged. Also it will make controlling the air more difficult.
              Air intakes that are in the bottom also are raised slightly on the inside to keep ash or grease from hampering the air flow.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                Air intakes are controlled in one way or another and they don't have the possibility of getting clogged. Also it will make controlling the air more difficult.
                Air intakes that are in the bottom also are raised slightly on the inside to keep ash or grease from hampering the air flow.
                I bet it works great!

Comment

Ya know, ya got a problem and ya solve it logically! I love it!!!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Let us know how it works as far as temp control goes. Worst case I guess you just tighten the nut. My drum has the bungs on the bottom so I just wheel it to the alley, remove the 2 inch bung and give it a good hosing out.
                    z
                    sigpic
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    UDS
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                    Vision Kamado grill
                    Weber Genesis Silver
                    Smokin Tex
                    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                    2 orange ThermoPops
                    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                    Vortex

Comment

OK let me explain the hole is on the bottom of the drum which is covered with my ash pan I have a diffuser plate above the charcoal basket which basically allows the grease to drain down the sides . When it comes to air flow that doesn't make much difference trust me . But I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
                        I bet it works great!
                        When an idea works perfectly .... check it out I have some ribs and slice pork in the smoker and the fat is just melting and running down through my drain hole into the small pirex bowl under my smoker [emoji4]

Comment

I like this idea. I drilled several small holes in the bottom of my bandera a while ago, to help drain it when I hose it out every so often, but they clog easily and even though they are small they do seem to affect the airflow and temps. I think I might weld those up and go with an approach like this.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Great to hear
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5