No announcement yet.

If at first you don't succeed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good thing are coolers or a nice Cambro. They hold hot for a surprising amount of time. 2-3 hours is never an issue.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by HornedToad View Post
      I've always cooked to time to serve at a certain hour. I liked to serve hot off the smoker / grill and never felt comfortable letting food sit.

I had an experience last month that is about to convince me to go to IT.
      I cooked for a friend of mine that was having a birthday party and she picked everything up at noon but held it in her ovens until the party at 6pm. She has eatin' with us on many occasions and said the food was just as good as fresh off.

My next big smoke I'm going to start several hours early on my time method, open the box on my Maverick and cook to IT, then hold in my MPS. That smoker oven is going to change the way I cook in the field.
      I do understand what you are saying.
      The biggest problem is no 2 pieces of meat will cook the same. Some cook faster, some cook longer. You had this problem recently when you ended up with sliced pork instead of pulled pork. Meat served right off the grill works for some cooks, but most meats need to rest for some time before cutting or pulling for the best eating.
      As Rich said it can be held for several hours with no problems.

Also check your smoker temp. How do you check the temp? Grate temp or gauge in the door? this can make a big difference in your true cooking temp. Your Maverick can help you with this also.
      JMHO-YMMV
      Jim

Comment

First off, let me say that food looked awesome and thank you for doing this, we need more people like you in the world!

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
        As Rich said it can be held for several hours with no problems.
        Regarding this, once I had a couple pork butts finish around midnight, and I was exhausted so I double wrapped them in foil and packed them in a cooler filled with old towels and went to bed. When I got back to them around 10 am the next morning they were still 138 degrees, they pulled just fine (and I didn't scorch my fingers!) and tasted just as good as ones fresh off the smoker. Granted that was pushing the limits quite a bit, but you'd be surprised how long you can hold things without losing quality if it's done right.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

OK Now I need some spicy pork tacos
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            OK Now I need some spicy pork tacos

Agreed. I just ate but am already thinking about how to schedule my day to end up close to a taqueria around a feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X