Prime Rib Throwdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Rib Throwdown

First off let me say I can't be trusted when I have a Costco card in my hand. A 16.5# prime boneless whole ribeye jumped into my cart and I had to take it home.
    I broke it down into 3 roasts around 4#s each and the balance became steaks. Invited some friends over for dinner. I seasoned two of the roasts with Flat Iron prime rib rub from Savory Spice Shop. One got vac bagged and marked for the SV. Second went into the MES40 with Pitmaster choice pellets.
    SV roast took a 11 hour bath at 135* followed by a cooler rest and then 8 minutes in the oven to make it look pretty.
    The smoked roast went for just under 5 hours and pulled at an IT of 134*. This finished before the guests even arrived so using info from y'all I filled my yeti cooler with near boiling water for 30 minutes to preheat it. Roast went into the cooler foiled and toweled. I left the temp probe in. Temp drop from an hour long cooler rest was less than one degree. I made sure each guest took a piece of each one just to compare. The Consensus was the SV roast was slightly more tender. Both had great flavor. The smoked roast in my opinion was slightly better but not night and day difference. I will definitely be making another roast. Which cooking method I will use will be determined by my schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a love / hate relationship with Costco - I can't seem to get out of that store without my wallet taking a beating That looks awesome
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

That looks amazing... great menu lineup!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

yeah, my wife says I'm not allowed in the Costco meat department anymore, too many things just jump into my cart.

Your roast looks great, nice marbling. Your friends are sure lucky people
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

You are killing me! Oh man that looks amazing. I want!
          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
          Yoder Wichita
          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Looks Great S & P !!---

Peeps ate real good at that shindig!!

MMMMmmmmm---Nice Job!!

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I can have the same problems in the meat department! Prime rib looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
              Good One Heritage Oven
              Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

I could get into that!!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Next throwdown you do, I'll volunteer to be a judge Looks great to me.
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                  POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                  Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

That's some real purty prime beef...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X