Should I do this? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do this? Thoughts?

Last year I made a thread here asking for opinions on whether or not to judge the county fair's BBQ "comp". Your advice was what I was thinking, no! This " comp" was a situation where you cooked it at home and brought the meats in to be judged. Due to food safety I said no and expressed how stupid this was to a fair board member. He said next year they'll have the smokers on site and have an actual comp. Now I've been looking forward to this since he said that.

Now a couple of weeks ago the wife told me to check out the website. I did, the board member I know good quit and so did a couple more. Looked at the entry form for the "comp" same shit as last year 3 categories, ribs, shredded meat, and sliced meat. Needs to be cooked at home on a grill or smoker. You can season and prepare the meat anyway you want. Bout the only rule is no chicken(oh now they're worried about food safety)

So I've been thinking. Maybe for ribs to do beef ribs or cure a rack of spares. For sliced I was thinking maybe cure a pork loin for Canadian bacon, cure a brisket for pastrami, or hell smoke a couple of pieces of my homemade bacon. For shredded I was thinking of curing a butt for some pulled ham.

I wished they'd realize they're losing out on some money by not having it onsite and charging the public to sample it. So should I proceed with my plan or just say screw it and not do it, then express to the board how stupid this is.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    So should I proceed with my plan or just say screw it and not do it, then express to the board how stupid this is.
    You already know the answer, but just ask yourself what's different this year than last..
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
      You already know the answer, but just ask yourself what's different this year than last..
      Yep what Mikey said.

Comment

Someone needs to slap someone. Now..I don't know about the "selling" thing. You'd likely run into issues if evey competitor did not have a STFU. But I'd sure feel a helluva lot better judging if I seen the sites and the prep/cooking.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          But I'd sure feel a helluva lot better judging if I seen the sites and the prep/cooking.
          "Needs to be cooked at home on a grill or smoker. You can season and prepare the meat anyway you want. Bout the only rule is no chicken(oh now they're worried about food safety)"

You going to everyone's house to check them out and make sure they're doing it right?
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

I didn't judge last year due to food safety, I almost entered it but our mud volleyball team won a couple games and didn't make it home in time. This year I think my wife told our friends I was doing the comp instean of volleyball. Well now I'm not doing neither so I could cook at home. I just didn't know would curing things be a dick move. Frankly I don't really care about it that much besides A) maybe it'll show the board how one can alter meat B) I haven't cured anything in awhile and I have the urge to turn something pink
            sigpic

Comment

Someone needs to slap someone. Now..I don't know about the "selling" thing. You'd likely run into issues if evey competitor did not have a STFU. But I'd sure feel a helluva lot better judging if I seen the sites and the prep/cooking.
              What the neighboring county does is ask for a $5 donation to sample. They also supplied the meat. I did that one last year and I bet there was 500 to 1000 people. It was huge.
              sigpic

Comment

So should I proceed with my plan or just say screw it and not do it, then express to the board how stupid this is.
                I just didn't know would curing things be a dick move. Frankly I don't really care about it that much besides A) maybe it'll show the board how one can alter meat B) I haven't cured anything in awhile and I have the urge to turn something pink
                Kind of trying to figure out what it is you're trying to accomplish here. If you are unhappy with the way the comp is run now, "expressing to the board how stupid this is" or doing something that you are thinking "might be a dick move" likely won't do much to improve the situation.

Why don't you offer to help organize an onsite comp? Could be that no one on the board has a clue how to go about it which is probably the reason it's kind of messed up now.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Kind of trying to figure out what it is you're trying to accomplish here. If you are unhappy with the way the comp is run now, "expressing to the board how stupid this is" or doing something that you are thinking "might be a dick move" likely won't do much to improve the situation.

Why don't you offer to help organize an onsite comp? Could be that no one on the board has a clue how to go about it which is probably the reason it's kind of messed up now.

Dave
                  I offered to help them set one up that is run like a true comp. But never heard back. The reason I want to cure everything is to kind of show them, someone can do about anything to alter the meat. Hell if I wanted to I could go to a BBQ joint and buy the meat and turn it in. It's asinine. Our board is so backwards its unbelievable at times. The reason I think they won't do a true comp is cause if they allow the public to eat, it'll take away from the 2 church stands. They're very concerned about them, I don't know why. This was expressed to me on a separate unrelated issue.

So if people think its a dick move to serve stuff like I mentioned I won't. I'm kind of curious what people think.
                  sigpic

Comment

So if people think its a dick move to serve stuff like I mentioned I won't. I'm kind of curious what people think.
                    Once again, in my opinion, you already know the answer, but just to be sure, you could always set up a poll and let it run for a few days or a week to get confirmation from the members here...just for shits & giggles of course
                    sigpic
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    New Braunfels Hondo
                    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                    1-26" Weber Kettle

Comment

I offered to help them set one up that is run like a true comp. But never heard back.
                      Well, good on ya for trying.

I never said it was a dick move. I was just curious why you were considering something that you thought might be.

Sounds like there no rules against cured meat. Nor would the organizers really know where it was cooked. But the whole thing might just be more frustration than it's worth.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        Well, good on ya for trying.

I never said it was a dick move. I was just curious why you were considering something that you thought might be.

Sounds like there no rules against cured meat. Nor would the organizers really know where it was cooked. But the whole thing might just be more frustration than it's worth.

Dave
                        Didn't mean to make it seem that you said it be a dick move. Just curious what everyone thought I've got a general feeling.

And to expand a little more from previous post. I told a board member or 2 about the food safety issue, the fact someone could buy it, or that someone could cure a brisket for 3 days and make it look like they got one hell of a smoke ring.

As far as it being a frustration, not for me just for the fact that I haven't made Canadian bacon or pastrami in over probably 2 years. It's time. Plus I've always wanted to try pulled ham and a cured rib. So it might be a nice kick in the butt to get me going
                        sigpic

Comment

To Me, it goes against everything I know about ensuring food safety and fair competition.
                          Just say No!
                          Also sounds like you have an entrenched "board" that is locked in to the easy way (for them) and not interested in the problems you have raised or doing it correctly.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

The reason I think they won't do a true comp is cause if they allow the public to eat, it'll take away from the 2 church stands.
                            Actually if they do a "true comp" most likely the public won't be able to touch any of that food. UNLESS the team has a STFU. And likely a vending permit.

If you want a GOOD pulled ham...cure a butt to butt ham and smoke the ham like a butt Mmmm...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Actually if they do a "true comp" most likely the public won't be able to touch any of that food. UNLESS the team has a STFU. And likely a vending permit.

If you want a GOOD pulled ham...cure a butt to butt ham and smoke the ham like a butt Mmmm...
                              I've always wanted to try it that way. I can imagine what it might taste like and it does sound good. I may just pick up a butt tomorrow and get it in cure.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X