Cleaning / Degreasing Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning / Degreasing Smoker

As I stated in another post, I picked up a used YS640 yesterday. Now that I have it home it definitely needs a good cleaning / degreasing before I use it.
    My question is, what does everybody use to clean their equipment / smokers?
    I have both Simple Green and Greased Lightning on hand, but I can't seem to find anything that says whether or not they are food safe.
    Jerry
    YS640
    Weber Performer Platinum
    Master Forge Gasser
    MES 40 x 2
    AMNPS x 2
    AMNTS x 2
    Vortex
    Taylor 808N x 2
    ET-732
    White Thermapen (so fast color can't stick to it)
    Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
    Q Matz

Originally posted by Vicep3 View Post
    As I stated in another post, I picked up a used YS640 yesterday. Now that I have it home it definitely needs a good cleaning / degreasing before I use it.
    My question is, what does everybody use to clean their equipment / smokers?
    I have both Simple Green and Greased Lightning on hand, but I can't seem to find anything that says whether or not they are food safe.
    Simple Green's pretty "friendly" It won't matter much anyway..yer gonna spray it with veggie oil and get it hot to re-season anyway, right?

PS: DON'T spray the controls of course. And..I dunno about the heat rod?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have to ask why you would un-season it just so you could re-season it...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        I have to ask why you would un-season it just so you could re-season it...
        It's just that whole, "it was somebody else's" thing.
        Jerry
        YS640
        Weber Performer Platinum
        Master Forge Gasser
        MES 40 x 2
        AMNPS x 2
        AMNTS x 2
        Vortex
        Taylor 808N x 2
        ET-732
        White Thermapen (so fast color can't stick to it)
        Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
        Q Matz

Comment

Originally posted by Vicep3 View Post
          It's just that whole, "it was somebody else's" thing.
          Yep. Took my Lang down to bright shiney steel inside...

But then again..I also found hotdogs and ribs and other "stuff" down in the reverse flow chamber?
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Free meat...
            All I found in the Longhorn was ashes and rust...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

hell just get it on a high heat for a couple of hours and scrape the burnt bits off.

That's pretty much all I've ever done :-)

I figure any type of detergent will just end up tainting your food.

Burn and scrape
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Citrus de-greaser. I bought the concentrate so I could mix it however strong I wanted into a spray bottle. It works great.
                Arron W.

YS 640
                Primo Oval XL
                Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
                Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                Weber Copper Top
                Old Smokey
                Orion
                Gasser
                2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
                24" Disco with custom burner
                Red Thermapen
                2-Maverick ET-733
                Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
                sigpic

Comment

I am guess one of the draw backs to electrical smokers is they ain't pressure washer safe.

I cook it, scrape it or scrape it, cook it and scrape it again sounds like the way to go.

at some point you will get the layers of gunk to something you find acceptable

Good luck
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    hell just get it on a high heat for a couple of hours and scrape the burnt bits off.
                    That'll work too. Just a little more labor intensive.

Comment

What I do is vacuum the interior in order to make sure that you get all of the ash completely removed and remove all of the remaining pellets. Then,

1 apply Citra-Solv which is a lemon based cleaner that is food safe to all surfaces by using a sponge mixed with a little Dawn.

2. If you can get a power spray, blow out the interior. (Make sure that all of the pellets are removed from the hopper). The grease drain will allow the water to drain out of the unit.

3. Let the unit dry completely.

4. Apply a good coat of peanut oil to the interior and exterior.

5. Fire up the unit to 350 degrees and let it burn for 2 hours.

It will look almost brand new. If you are worried about the electronic board, cover the hopper with plastic wrap and avoid the spray in that area.
                      Yoder YS480
                      Yoder Cheyenne
                      Weber Kettle w/ Rotissieri
                      Kettlepizza

Comment

Just get it hot as you can for an hour or two, it might not be clean but it will be sterilized
                        sigpic

Comment

don't know what simple green ya using...that $tuff is corrosive if not rinsed really good...we use the aircraft stuff on our customer airplanes...me uds gets a good pressure wash with dawn...me mes ain't as clean as Bearcarvers...
                          Last edited by Slanted88; 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM.
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have a weber I just use fire to de-grease/clean. I put all my grates and mats into it, and build a big old lighter fluid soaked newspaper and cardboard fire. The only time I ever use lighter fluid.

Comment

Not sure on that model, but I use a zep oven cleaner I get at restaurant depot, followed by a good soap and water wash and rinse. Pressure washer helps but not needed with the zep stuff.

Then run the heat up as normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X