Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterbuilt 30" Smoker

From my intro post:

"I got my first smoker for Christmas and I’ve been browsing the forum for a while for information and thought it was time to join and introduce myself. I’m using a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30” Propane Smoker.
    A few upgrades I’ve done:
    1. Lavalock gasket around the door. Great decision, aI couldn't believe how much smoke just went out the door.
    2. 8”x8” cake pan with a sheet of stainless metal on top for wood box.
    3. Thermopro TP08 wireless thermometer for better smoker temp control.
    4. I use a regulator that is adjustable. The fixed regulator it came with was useless, barely let any gas through. I set the knob to high and make all adjustments with the regulator, seems to work pretty well.

What I've smoked so far.....
    1. Boneless pork loin
    2. Boneless turkey breast roast
    3. Pork butt
    4. Baby back ribs"

Various questions I have......
    1. I use the water pan while smoking but during long smokes on something like a pork butt.... do you continue to fill it or let it dry out after a while? The only pork butt I have done I stopped adding wood at about 145 deg F. Up until that point I kept the water topped off but once the butt hit 145 F I didn't open the door again. I did not foil it and to help push through the stall I did not want to open the door. My thought was it should help the bark formation and the bark should help keep moisture in the meat.

What do other people do? Keep the pan full? Let it run out? Not use it at all?

2. As stated above I am using a small cake pan with sheet metal lid and it seems to work well using chunks instead of chips. Putting in 2 or 3 chunks gives a nice light smoke for about 45 minutes or so. What I am seeing though is a lot of creosote in the smoke box. When I used the small box the smoker came with and wood chips there was zero to minimal creosote. Problem with that box and the chips was they smoked heavily for 15 minutes and were gone.

Any ideas or suggestions for a better setup, creosote prevention, etc?

I've been looking at products such as the A-Maze-N lineup and even how to's on a simple home made smoke generator because I want to smoke cheeses. Are these suitable replacements for chips or chunks in a smoke box? I wasn't sure how the A-Maze-N products would work in a propane smoker. I was thinking the heat from the burner would accelerate the slow smolder of the saw dust or pellets.

3. I haven't smoke on too windy of a day yet but I was considering taking some sheet metal and attaching to the legs to close up the bottom area to prevent wind from affecting the burner. I know I would need some holes for draw in oxygen. I made a wind guard for my turkey fryer and it works great. I deep fried a bird yesterday for Easter in 30-40 mph wind gusts with no problems at all. Has anyone does this on a propane smoker? Did it work?

If these items are discussed in another thread I apologize, if someone can point me there that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know anything about Gas Smokers, but Most Watt-Burners don't put any water in their water pans. My Masterbuilt already has too much humidity in it without adding more. I haven't put water in my pan in 7 years.

I use an AMNPS (5 X 8 Tray) in my MES 40, but I understand the AMNTS (Tube) is best for a Gas Smoker. The favorite seems to be the 12" to 18" extendable.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have to say soak your wood when using gas or wood for fuel. Just my honest opinion.

Comment

I myself have not used a water pan since I found this group of folks. Water=steam and I think that moisture has a negative effect on some items accepting smoke.

A wind break or a moving blanket will work wonders. If you are getting creosote you do not have enough air flow.

The amazing products are very good. Made in America by Americans. I have one of the first dust trays and use it often.

I also have a pellet tray that creates a lot of smoke when needed. Either one is a good choice.

Welcome to the island

Comment

I try to keep liquid in the pan all of the time. It seems to help regulate the temp. I can tell when the pan is empty, the temp increases in the smoker. I use chips and usually do not add anymore during the cook. I used to soak the chips but have't for sometime now. Didn't notice a difference except the time it takes for the smoke to start rolling. You do need good air flow which could help with the creosote issue.
          Ed

Smoke Vault 24
          Vermont Castings Gas Grill
          Thermoworks Smoke
          The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
          The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

I haven't used a gas smoker so my experiences will differ from yours...But...

On the creosote issue...If you are producing a thin smoke rather than thick white smoke then creosote shouldn't be a problem...Some smoke build up in the smoker is normal...Is that what you're experiencing? Creosote will make your food taste bitter...If you and your family are "enjoying" the meat you fix then I doubt you have a creosote issue at all...

For a wind break I have two 5' X 5' pressboard pieces hinged in the middle...It tames the Kansas winds and still allows good airflow to my firebox...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Kansas! There are a lot of good people here with lots of information.
              sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
              Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
              Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
              Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
              fire pit in the yard
              10 & 12 Lodge DO,
              Maverick ET73, ET732.
              A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
              MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

The creosote I think I'm seeing is in the smoker box itself. There will be a dark black messy substance on the sides of the pan I put the wood chunks in and on the sheet metal cover over the pan.

Haven't noticed a bitter taste so maybe it's not an issue?

I did notice the temp spikes in the smoker when the water pan is empty. I'm smoking a boneless turkey breast roast this weekend. Last one I did with water in the pan maybe I'll try this one without water. The outside didn't brown much or get any sort of crust on it. Maybe too much moisture.

I've seen mention of the movers blanket before. What is done with it? Wrap it around the smoker body for insulation? The hinged wood wine break send easy enough yet effective. That's a good idea and I have those materials just laying around if I need it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Pictures

OK, so I smoked two turkey breast roasts Saturday and they were great. I took some pictures of the pan I am using for wood chunks to get your thoughts if it is actually creosote or just normal black stuff. Lid gets covered in it and mostly see it in the corners of the pan.

I did end up using the water pan because I was nervous not using water on such a lean meat with the family coming over for dinner. Been doing a lot of reading and it seems I don't have much to worry about as far as keeping the food moist without water in the pan.

Anyone put sand in the water pan? Or is it best left empty? I know the temp spikes if I let it dry out. Seems like having something in the pan is best but then again maybe it doesn't matter since the temperature in the smoker will be the same full or empty.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Water pan on my gosm has been filled with sand for years. IMHO you are better off using it as a heat sink. If you have moisture problems you can always brine or inject.

Oh, and from little Rhody
                    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                    X