Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili from leftover ribs

Greetings to all!

I had some ribs left over from last weekend. I thought it would make a great chili. I took the meat off the bones and vac packed it.

I couldn't wait to make the chili, so here it is. The ingredients are the same as my usual chili except I'm substituting the rib meat for the sausage normally added.

Recipe:

1 lb stew beef
    meat from one full rack of baby backs
    1 large (really large) onion
    7 Roma tomatoes
    1 can (14 oz)low sodium beef broth
    2 cans (16 oz total) no salt added tomato sauce
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp crushed black pepper

Dice and/or chop the onion. If you can see, I have some really small pieces and some larger ones. I started out dicing, then my sore back got more sore, so I chopped instead to hurry things along. Same with the tomatoes.

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.

I brown the beef first, then add the onion to get them started cooking. While that is going on, mix the liquids and dry ingredients in a crock pot. This one is my Mom's decades old one. It still works great and is the perfect size for smaller meals.

I spread out the pork to loosen it up from being vac packed and added that to the crock pot. After the beef was browned and the onion starting to get done, I added that to the crock pot. Simmered on low for about six hours. Normally, I make it the day before I plan to eat it, but it didn't work out that way, this time. Just barely in the nick of time, halfway through my second bowl, I realized I hadn't taken the final shot. Sorry for the mess on that one.

The first shot is of my growing cast iron collection. I have two CI griddles, also, but they didn't make it into the photo.

The ingredients. Not sure where the onion ran off to in this one...

The onion makes its debut here. Also, the tomatoes and dry ingredients.

Browned the beef in CI skillet.

Added the onion.

Spread out and loosened up the rib meat.

Liquids and pork in the crockpot.

Beef and onions added. I started on high to get it boiling, then reduce to low for around six hours.

Halfway through the second bowl, I remember 'proper documentation is required.' Here, chili with shredded Tillamook sharp cheddar and a beer.

Thanx for checking out my leftovers.
    Jerry aka 5lakes

Looks great.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Very nice!
      Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
      Weber Performer
      Weber 22.5" OTG
      Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
      Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
      Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
      BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Originally posted by 5lakes View Post
        The ingredients. Not sure where the onion ran off to in this one...

Thanx for checking out my leftovers.
        Hmm maybe it ran away with the spoon?

Didja dump one of them beers in there for cooking? Man, that stuff is a GREAT cooking- AND drinking... beer.

Great job, sir!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

tasty looking stuff I sure could go for a big bowl of that right about now
          sigpic
          homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

Looks great. We never have left over ribs here after we eat, the rib bones are all thats left. But if we ever do I am gonna keep this in mind.
            sigpic

Comment

Looks phenomenal! Well done!

Comment

Beautiful!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Bowl of that...some jalapeno corn bread...Natty please!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great looking chili. And no beans, just the way I like it
                    I like to leave the bones on ribs when I add them to chili to extract a bit more flavor into the batch.
                    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                      I like to leave the bones on ribs when I add them to chili to extract a bit more flavor into the batch.
                      Excellent idea, I also prefer less tomatoes and more beef broth, the beefier the better. Not to take away from the post 5lakes, yours looks awesome indeed.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                        Kinda back to rib tips, and what to do with them... after the trim for sausage meat, simmering for stock. You can even bake 'em off first for more/deeper flavor.

A buddy made pork verde/chili today and I brought a hunk of the frozen stock over to toss in. Niiice....
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

damn good looking chili.
                          I see you use low sodium or no sodium ingredients, as do I. I was wondering if the chili powder was a no salt powder as well?

Comment

Thanks for all the great words! It's kind of fun not being on overtime and having time to do this stuff again. Lots of excellent ideas for me to try for the next batch.

Beans... While I can tolerate them in chili, I prefer not. Other dishes have beans, I want meat.

The chili powder does have some salt in it. I would love to find some without it, though. If you know a brand, let me know. I'm on a salt restricted diet, so I don't add it. If an ingredient has some, I just watch how much. Since going low salt, I'm amazed at how many other flavors get overpowered by it.
                            Jerry aka 5lakes

Comment

Working...
                            X