Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got the second lid vent installed today.

Got another seasoning burn going in it now just in case the lid is suspect.

Here is a shot of the twins.

I'll have to paint the new . . . er old . . . er . . . unpainted one eventually.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 09-09-2017, 05:39 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I am not this far along yet with my build. I wonder if you could use several pieces of steel to fit the weber top instead of one long peice. My thinking is to use wing nuts to allow them to fold below the kettle top for when using the drum lid. Going to try that anyway.

Edit: Quoting post 25 in this thread. I didn't want to repost all the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by wsyrob View Post
        I am not this far along yet with my build. I wonder if you could use several pieces of steel to fit the weber top instead of one long peice.
        I don't see why not as long as you butt the ends close together so as to elimate any gaps. Gaps around the base of the lid let in air and make the temp hard to control on a UDS.

My thinking is to use wing nuts to allow them to fold below the kettle top for when using the drum lid. Going to try that anyway.
        I don't know what you mean by fold since they will be curved pieces. Also, why would you want to use the drum lid if you have fit a Weber lid to it?

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          I don't see why not as long as you butt the ends close together so as to elimate any gaps. Gaps around the base of the lid let in air and make the temp hard to control on a UDS.

I don't know what you mean by fold since they will be curved pieces. Also, why would you want to use the drum lid if you have fit a Weber lid to it?

Dave
          I was thinking about just enough to hold a rope gasket and the lid in place. They would only be 3/4 of an inch. Maybe 9 or so. The reason is I still have my weber grill and might want to use both at the same time. I am still in the brainstorming process here.

Comment

The reason is I still have my weber grill and might want to use both at the same time.
            Okay, now I get it.

You may have to hit up CraigsList to find a donor Weber.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

Okay, now I get it.

You may have to hit up CraigsList to find a donor Weber.

Dave
              I am going with shelving strips for adjustable grates. If I run the strips all the way to the top I may be able to use them to help stabilize the weber top. Mine pretty much sits flush on top of the drum. It just needs something inside the drum to keep it on the edge. The shelving would give me 3 contact points. It might be enough.

I do need to stay up on craigslist. Or just buy myself a new Weber Kettle. this one is over 10 years old.

Comment

With well over 4,000 views, and many, many words of wisdom here, i would like to recommend this thread to be promote to the level of "sticky"
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                  With well over 4,000 views, and many, many words of wisdom here, i would like to recommend this thread to be promote to the level of "sticky"
                  I second the motion!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                    I second the motion!
                    Careful with the motions at yer age, Mike.

Done :{)
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Careful with the motions at yer age, Mike.

Done :{)
                      Amen! Marcus will chime in! Well, since I hit 60...just did some back seat aerobatics in a Citabria...did not have issues...think this ol' Cat Daddy is gig on! I like the rolls the bestest!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks a million for making this thread a "sticky"

as far as Mike and motions.... well i just don't want to go there

Dave,
                        Thanks for helping many of us make it through our UDS build with this thread and the many PM's you have answered too.

It is worthy of too
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                          Dave,
                          Thanks for helping many of us make it through our UDS build with this thread and the many PM's you have answered too.

It is worthy of too
                          My pleasure. I'm glad to help.

I'm glad enough people found this thread helpful enough to warrant making it a sticky.

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

My pleasure. I'm glad to help.

I'm glad enough people found this thread helpful enough to warrant making it a sticky.

Dave
                            Yea my wife says I spend too much time on smoking forums hahaha

My current lid that I got off my buddy fits very snuggle actually too much lol it needs hit on the lip to pop it loose. I'll pick up a strip of metal and check it out

Oh and I'm picking up 80#s of butts on way home for mixing in all our deer meat this weekend. Can't beat .99 lb

Comment

Working...
                            X