It was butcher day yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was butcher day yesterday

Had some quail roosters that were just eating feed costing money. Only need 3 right now, held back another 5 just in case. So we butchered 12. Could've done a few more and a hen that's eating her eggs but it was my second attempt at butchering and didn't want to over do. Big props go out to the wife. In high school she worked for her aunt in a poultry processing facility so she did alot of the work. We first started by me holding the bird and she used a scalpel to dispatch. Didn't work very good cause she didn't like doing it. I've read people just popped the heads off. I gave one a twist and pulled and worked like a charm. Quick, easy, and instant death which I like. Did 2 at a time and set them to in the cones to drain. I had my immersion circulator(sous vide) set for 140. Dunk bird for 15 seconds, remove for 10, dunk for 15, remove for 10, dunk for 15 more. I bought a plucker for my drill, took a bit to get use to, started on low side and it didn't work the best. Switched to the high speed and it worked great. Wife was pleased with them after that and she plucked any I missed and then gutted them. I need one of those lung scrapers CA made with his 3d printer but she did a hell of a job. Sorry if you find some of this offensive (I don't think many will here) but I think it's important to know how your food gets to the table. It took us an hour to do 12, I think next time we'll be able to cut that time in half.

Gave 4 birds to my parents, so we've got 8 for supper

Half got Creole seasoning, and the others got a seasoning from a local restaurant. Set up vortex, some got a bit charred some were perfect.

Man this was good eating. A great finger picking meal if you know what I mean. Reminds me of chicken thigh meat. I had 2 could've done a third but decided not to. If I'd actually butchered at 8 weeks it would've only cost me a $1 a bird from hatch to butcher. Pretty cheap protein. Should have some more to butcher in 4 weeks and I can't wait! Thanks for looking!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Oh yeah!!! Quail is some good eatin'... Poppin the heads off is always the way I use to dispatch them when I'm lucky enough to get some during the season. We never bothered plucking the whole bird, too much like work, we just pull oot the breast. Besides, we ain't got one of them there fancified pluckin' thingamajigs...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

looks good!
      sigpic
      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Cool project, comes to fruition and reward!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well..they cleaned up nicely. And being that small..stuffing wouldn’t be an issue... meybe a wild rice/mushroom..Mmm. Nice thing not having to pick out BB’s too!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Well..they cleaned up nicely. And being that small..stuffing wouldn’t be an issue... meybe a wild rice/mushroom..Mmm. Nice thing not having to pick out BB’s too!
            That's next to try, maybe a sausage type stuffing.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah roast quail is one of our favourites

I also made a drill mounted plucker: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:582323
              [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJq_4QiewWw[/yt]

If you get someone to print one for you - go for the heavy duty one.

Drop me your address and I'll send you a scraper to try out (and keep, obviously - but would be good to get some feedback on what, if anything, needs changing).

Have some egg to table
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Wow Ryan!!

You're really reaping the Harvest !!

All those awesome Eggs, and now the Fantastic Eating !!!

That's Great !!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Yeah roast quail is one of our favourites

I also made a drill mounted plucker: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:582323
                  [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJq_4QiewWw[/yt]

If you get someone to print one for you - go for the heavy duty one.

Drop me your address and I'll send you a scraper to try out (and keep, obviously - but would be good to get some feedback on what, if anything, needs changing).

Have some egg to table
                  Thanks for the offer, I'm going to leave it up to the wife to pick one out beings she knows what she wants. I'll show her yours. Your plucker idea got me to look around for one. I didn't even know though they had something like that(so thanks for your post) I found one at a chicken supply store for $20 with the softer fingers. Worked great and didn't tear any. I was surprised the wife always said she'd never butcher another bird but last night she said you know if we had some big wash tubs butchering chickens wouldn't be that bad so when time is right I think we may get a tub plucker. Can get a medium one for $400 which they charge $3 to process a chicken. About have it paid for this year.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    Thanks for the offer, I'm going to leave it up to the wife to pick one out beings she knows what she wants.
                    So I guess that makes her the "Mother Plucker"...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Ryan, how much noise do the quail make? I can't have chiggins here because of the noise. Quail might work?
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Ryan, how much noise do the quail make? I can't have chiggins here because of the noise. Quail might work?
                        Females hardly make a noise, if they do its fairly quiet. Males on the other hand they do make some loud noise. I keep them in my old garage with door shut I can hear them 50 feet away. Definitely not as loud as a rooster chicken. They usually don't start crowing till 6 weeks when they hit sexual maturity around 8-9 is when they really start. But if you get a good breeding line and the right feed you can butcher at 6 weeks.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice work Ryan
                          sigpic

Comment

Ask around for someone that has a 3 d printer. They are starting to get them at some voc ed classes at high schools and Jr colleges. The high school route is really cheap.

There are also some free lancers out there. I got quote to do one piece for my Hobart N50 from 25.00 and supplies to 300.00 .

Comment

Working...
                            X