Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping Your Pellets Dry (Pellets & Dust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Your Pellets Dry (Pellets & Dust)

Keeping Your Pellets Dry (Pellets & Dust)

This is how I keep my Pellets & Dust Dry, and Handy for the next Smoke:
    I get my Pellets & Dust from Todd, at “Amazing Smoker”.
    I get what I need before I run out, but I don’t open the plastic bags he sends it in until I know I have enough Empty Jugs for all the Pellets or Dust in those Bags. That way none of the Dust or Pellets ends up picking up Humidity from setting around in unsealed plastic bags for months or years.
    This time I had 3 bags of Dust here for at least 4 years, and 3 bags of Pellets for about 2 years.
    So I got all my Jugs out, opened the Bags, and using a big Funnel, I emptied all the bags into the empty Jugs. My Jugs all have screw-top caps.
    Then I Re-marked the Jugs that changed from one Species to another, and fixed up a couple of markings that had gotten slightly rubbed off.

Some may think you don’t have to do these things, but in 7 years, I haven’t had any problems keeping my Pellets or Dust smoking Great.
    I have never Nuked any Pellets or put them in an oven, and I never needed a Mailbox, except for my Mail.

Note: Three of the main problems with keeping an AMNPS smoking continuously are Lack of air flow, Not properly lit to begin with, and Pellets aren’t Dry enough.
    The air flow is easy to take care of, unless you are at a High Altitude.
    A little patience can take care of getting the pellets lit properly.
    And the above method of taking care of your Pellets can keep them Dry for many years.

Bear

Ready to fill some empty Jugs, and Re-Label a few. Note the 3 Bags of Dust & 3 Bags of Pellets on the right end:

Bags all Empty & Jugs all filled and Labeled:

All back in my Smoking Cabinet in my Garage.
    9 Jugs of Hickory Pellets.
    7 Jugs of Other Species of Pellets.
    2 Jugs of Hickory Dust.
    9 Jugs of Other Species of Dust.
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Some good tips, Bear...
    I generally don't have a problem with things soaking in moisture here in the Snoring Desert. Drying oot, on the other hand, is a problem...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
      Some good tips, Bear...
      I generally don't have a problem with things soaking in moisture here in the Snoring Desert. Drying oot, on the other hand, is a problem...

Yup----You shouldn't have to worry about High Humidity anywhere around your area!!!
      I couldn't live in that---I have to run a Humidifier all Winter here just so I can breath without bleeding.

Bear
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

We have high humidity here, and I have had burn out issues a couple times. I always keep pellets in a ziplock bag. Last time I loaded the Maze and put it on rack directly above heat while the smoker came up to temp. Then took maze out of smoker and lit it. Never seen pellets light so easily, and didn't have any issues that time.

Comment

Originally posted by 206 View Post
          We have high humidity here, and I have had burn out issues a couple times. I always keep pellets in a ziplock bag. Last time I loaded the Maze and put it on rack directly above heat while the smoker came up to temp. Then took maze out of smoker and lit it. Never seen pellets light so easily, and didn't have any issues that time.

Yeah---A Ziplock bag isn't as good as a screw-top Jug.
          Like I said it goes right from the bag it comes in to my Jugs, and never had a problem.

My Annual Avg Humidity here is 68%
          Seattle is 73%.

If you do have trouble it's good to put it above the element while pre-heating, like you did.

Bear

Comment

Yep, while we typically are less than 20% humidity, I still microwave my pellets prior to using them in the Amazen Tube. The AMNPS just was too inconsistent for me at 4000' ASL. The tube works great though. I too use plastic jugs to store my pellets. I guess good minds think alike.

Comment

Great tips Bear,,, I have plastic totes here also,, No humidity here either,,, but I do like the mailbox set up. I get most of my pellets from Todd also. but like to explore other brands when I get a chance if it is something different.

DS
              Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
              1930 Fridge Build
              MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
              Therma Pen
              Maverick 732
              Mini Therma Pen
              Frog Mats
              Weber Junior
              AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Well I live in probably THE worst area in the Country for humidity, West central Florida. I keep my dust and pellets in the bags they came in, in a poly tub with a tight lid....on my back porch, Not climate controlled. I don't have problems with them staying lit and burning properly, with the exception on maybe apple dust. I did have some trouble with apple dust, but it may have been - probably was airflow!

I do like the ease of identifying and acquiring the product you need in Bears system. If you have the time and space to do that - good plan!

I do not have that time. But I don't have much problem with the pellets/dust soaking up water. Maybe the combination of heat and humidity?? I don't know? I know others have had problems with this but since our average humidity is prolly 120%...... okay 80% (just feels like more) it would seem likely to be a problem here. But I do not have that problem?

On edit, I am at sea level, I wonder if that has something to do with it? Density of air for combustion, % of oxygen....?
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Hick! been called one of them! Dern good idea!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We sell pellets in North Dakota and keep 2 pallets of pellets in stock year around in an unheated pole barn off the floor on pallets, and each flavor is individually stacked on a separate pallet. We have not had a moisture issue in 5 1/2 years... High and dry, don't cover them and when the humidity is high open up doors to the pole barn.
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Good idea bear, I keep mine in 5 gal pails with seal lids
                      Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                        Yep, while we typically are less than 20% humidity, I still microwave my pellets prior to using them in the Amazen Tube. The AMNPS just was too inconsistent for me at 4000' ASL. The tube works great though. I too use plastic jugs to store my pellets. I guess good minds think alike.
                        Yup---Altitude is a problem for the AMNPS. I hate when I try to teach somebody who doesn't list where he's from, then after giving him all of my tips on keeping the AMNPS going, I find out he's smoking at a high altitude!!!
                        The Tube is much better when you live above the clouds.

Bear

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Well I live in probably THE worst area in the Country for humidity, West central Florida. I keep my dust and pellets in the bags they came in, in a poly tub with a tight lid....on my back porch, Not climate controlled. I don't have problems with them staying lit and burning properly, with the exception on maybe apple dust. I did have some trouble with apple dust, but it may have been - probably was airflow!

I do like the ease of identifying and acquiring the product you need in Bears system. If you have the time and space to do that - good plan!

I do not have that time. But I don't have much problem with the pellets/dust soaking up water. Maybe the combination of heat and humidity?? I don't know? I know others have had problems with this but since our average humidity is prolly 120%...... okay 80% (just feels like more) it would seem likely to be a problem here. But I do not have that problem?

On edit, I am at sea level, I wonder if that has something to do with it? Density of air for combustion, % of oxygen....?

You're doing Great, Mark!!
                        The only ones I have trouble with is "Cherry"---I think because of the natural oils in Cherry wood---I saw it in my Cabinet Making.

I did a search and found:
                        The average annual Humidity near my house (Allentown, PA) is 68%.
                        http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...ity-annual.php

And the average annual Humidity in Miami is 73%.

And the average annual Humidity in Atlanta, GA is 68%.

Now if we're talking about Phoenix, AZ, that would be a lot different---Average annual Humidity in AZ is 37%.

So AZ shouldn't need any special care, but if my method works in PA (68%), it should be fine in FL (73%), and fine in GA (68%).

Bear

Comment

Working...
                        X