2nd try at baby backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd try at baby backs

Well a couple of months ago my first attempt at ribs didn't go so well. Not tender and over all just not good.

So round two..... Did two racks. Barely fit diaganol. I bought a rib rack from Amazon that should've arrived yesterday but it did not. So we did without it. With only two racks in the smoker. Had just enough room. Generous coating if MHGP + BS. 2 hrs 20 min at 250 F. Was shooting for 2 hrs but I was busy. Then slathered in honey, sliced up half stick of butter, plus a splash of lemonade per foil package. 2 hrs in foil. Back on the rack with a light coat of SBR. Then another coat after 20 min and a final coat at 40 min. Pulled after an hour.

They were delicious. Almost too tender for me. They were falling apart handling them. Apparently that's how people liked them though. They commented how tender they were and it was perfect. Personally I think I will make sure I wrap it at 2 hrs next time and then cut foil time back to 1.75 hrs and see how that is.

The MHGP + BS with honey and SBR definitely was sweet. But the guests liked it. I actually left a small portion sauceless for myself. I liked those.

Can't wait to try again.

Enjoyed these with garlic butter grilled potatoes. Someone else cooked a brisket and Mac n cheese.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Congrats on the successful cook!
    What are you cooking them in/on? What is your fuel source? How long cooked? Temp?
    They look unevenly cooked, fully cooked - just not evenly.

A successful cook is a good one, ya done somethin right!!!

Tell us more bout how and what ya did? Maybe we can offer good info for future cooks!
    Ya Done Good!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

They look good from here.

Have some tasty looking rib .
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Well they look good to me

When I foil I smoke for 3+ hours and only foil for 1 hour or less...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Yup. Me2

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

^^^ Me too ^^^ I seldom foil and even sauce less. We like ours smoked with just a good rub and serve sauce on the side.

Ribs look good.
            Jim

Comment

'tenderness' is a tough one.
              While I still have teeth - I like to use them.
              While others like their meat like marshmallow.

Pretty much the main reason i haven't yet used the sv unit. Never yet had any sv meat that wasn't - to me - mushy and quite unpleasant mouthfeel

For me the meat should come away clean from the bone, but should have a little fight left in it :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                'tenderness' is a tough one.
                While I still have teeth - I like to use them.
                While others like their meat like marshmallow.

Pretty much the main reason i haven't yet used the sv unit. Never yet had any sv meat that wasn't - to me - mushy and quite unpleasant mouthfee
                l

For me the meat should come away clean from the bone, but should have a little fight left in it :-)
                A lot of folks overcook with the SV. No need for looong cooking thymes on a lot of things. Turns it into mush. I have two London Broils in the SV right now... they'll be in there for 4 hours max at 134... Then iced and seared. Perfect every thyme. I had posted one of my SV'd London Broil cooks on another forum... Had a guy say, "Yeah if you had let it go for 30 hours, it would have been perfect". Bullshit.
                Last edited by HawgHeaven; 07-03-2017, 09:24 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks tasty!
                  ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

I'd bite into them ribs. Looks great from here.
                    18" WSM (2016)
                    18" Weber Kettle (1979)
                    22" Weber Kettle (2008)
                    22" Weber Silver Performer (2014)

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right"

Henry Ford

Comment

Mark, propane vertical smoker. Temp held 235 - 255 F. Usually holds better than that but it was windy.

What do you see that tells you they were unevenly cooked? That's what I like about this place. Your can tell by one picture it's not quite right. I noticed when cutting the one rack was pretty evenly tenderness but the other one it was way more tender on one end than the other. I wasn't sure if it was a thickness thing or uneven heat distribution coming around the outside of the water pan (filled with sand).

Here's a timeline....

Started with rub an hour ahead of time then into fridge. Then into smoker. At 1 i flipped meat between the two racks to try to help cook evenly. At two hours pulled and foiled with the honey, butter, and lemonade. Two hours later unwrapped and slathered with the SBR.

Next time I may try the 3 hr smoke and then 1 hr foil.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

lookin good man!!!
                        baby backs
                        I rub and refrig overnight,,,
                        I smoke 2 hrs,,, foil with some uncut concentrated apple juice (1/2 cup or so)
                        for an hour then remove foil and cook another 45 min or so to tighten them back up some...
                        2 hrs in foil makes mine too soft...

remember every time you open it up you lose temp,,, figure that in to your cook times (depending on what your cooking on)

edit to add,,, I havent used BBQ sauce since I found MadHunky rubs...
                        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Working...
                        X