Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheddar stuffed, habanero & green chili stuffed smoked onions

Tied for 2nd in the latest contest.

Sorry for the delay in posting these, been camping for the last week and without internet.

Started with some plain old yellow onions and cut just enough off the root end for them to stand, then a good chunk off top. Peeled them of course.

Then I cut a crosshatch in the center and used a fork to dig out the center until only a couple layers remained.

I had some green pepper and habanero sausage from the local butcher in the fridge that needed to get used so a base layer of that went down.

Then a nice chunk of cheddar.

Continued....
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

... continuing

Next I filled in the rest with the remaining sausage gave it a dusting of mad hunky GP and wrapped it in bacon.

On to the grill, indirect with some maple chunks for smoke. And some chicken boobs for dinner.

Honestly, now I can't remember time or temp but I want to say it was around 375 for an hour or so, until the IT hit 165. Glazed with BBQ sauce at the end.

Finished product

These were really good, though a couple things I'd do different next time. First get the onion down to a single layer or par-cook it before hand. They were still quite crunchy on these and sort of distracted from what I was going for. Second hit them with some real high heat right at the end to make sure the bacon is crispy. It was rather wimpy on these and made it hard to cut everything. Third, use some sausage that's not so DAMN hot! Phew this stuff packed a punch and sort of distracted from the other flavors.

But! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks everyone for looking and for the votes.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Well I didn't vote for it then but I damned sure would now...

Friggin awesome (on the reload)
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Never seen sausage that expensive before dang!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          Well I didn't vote for it then but I damned sure would now...

Friggin awesome (on the reload)
          Thanks!

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
          Never seen sausage that expensive before dang!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Yeah, he's the only real butcher around for probably 20 miles and he knows it. But he does at least use high quality meats, grass fed, all that shi.... stuff. lol I don't often shop there unless it's for something out of the ordinary.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
            ... continuing

Next I filled in the rest with the remaining sausage gave it a dusting of mad hunky GP and wrapped it in bacon.

On to the grill, indirect with some maple chunks for smoke. And some chicken boobs for dinner.

Honestly, now I can't remember time or temp but I want to say it was around 375 for an hour or so, until the IT hit 165. Glazed with BBQ sauce at the end.

Finished product

These were really good, though a couple things I'd do different next time. First get the onion down to a single layer or par-cook it before hand. They were still quite crunchy on these and sort of distracted from what I was going for. Second hit them with some real high heat right at the end to make sure the bacon is crispy. It was rather wimpy on these and made it hard to cut everything. Third, use some sausage that's not so DAMN hot! Phew this stuff packed a punch and sort of distracted from the other flavors.

But! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks everyone for looking and for the votes.
            That looks incredible and HOT!
            sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
            American Legion Riders
            Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Definitely out of the box. Flavor combo is interesting
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Very nicely done. Got my vote. Nice variation of the original recipe.

There are many different variations of this recipe now. Originally they were made smaller as an appetizer. Boiling is the key, also originally Vidalia onions were used.
                I came up with the recipe for a contest for Vidalia onions back in 2009. It placed 4th in the contest. I posted the recipe on here couple years ago along with some very old pics from my old web site from 2010.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41474
                Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-24-2017, 09:44 PM.
                Jim

Comment

Nice!
                  Hot or not, that looks excellent Mike
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                    Very nicely done. Got my vote. Nice variation of the original recipe.

There are many different variations of this recipe now. Originally they were made smaller as an appetizer. Boiling is the key, also originally Vidalia onions were used.
                    I came up with the recipe for a contest for Vidalia onions back in 2009. It placed 4th in the contest. I posted the recipe on here couple years ago along with some very old pics from my old web site from 2010.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41474

See I knew I had seen this somewhere before! I couldn't find it on here searching though. Thank you for planting that seed in my brain way back when.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Great job, Mike. I was impressed when saw them in the contest. Now I really have to make some. Definitely worthy!
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

I liked what I saw in this one... very nice!
                        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I gotta try this - looks awesome Pitrow!
                          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

I like the looks of those too. Have to give that a whirl one of these days.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Great job but I know that sausage would be too hot for me!

I stuffed onions with baked beans several years ago. http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22946 I am going to have to try with some sausage next time!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X