Aldi's Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
    The manager told me that they wanted to get rid of it during the Labor Day weekend. Thus the low sell out price. It's normally like $4.65 a 16 lb bag
    and they have no problem selling it through the summer. They just don't like having a pallet or two laying around after Labor day as they will be stuck with it through the winter and have to stow it in their limited warehouse space. We've had cold rainy weather here due to the hurricanes so the stuff isn't selling very fast.

I've also used Kingsford and others and don't see much difference in any of them. Some folks only want the name brand stuff at full price as it's somehow reassuring them. I really mentioned this for the bargain hunters.
    Its only a managers special then huh? We dont have a winter here so there are never good deals on grilling stuff like you northerners get but i will try to go there tomorrow.

Comment

If I recall, ALDI is owned by the same parent as Trader Joes. I have shopped there, and there are deals to be had. Last time I was there, I got 4 avocados for 2 bucks, a pound bag of frozen 26/30 uncooked shrimp for about $5, and their frozen pizzas are a pretty good item for 2 and change.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

weird never thought of aldi being in the states.

Yep german used to shop at one when I was a kid in germany.

Over here aldi are a quality discount store with a lot of german and continental products that are generally top quality and low price.

We have a scandanavian knock off called lidl which is seriously cheap. Also has a lot of continental foods and brands.
        Kinda like aldi, but downmarket.

So I would think that aldi own brand charcoal would be pretty decent stuff - certainly if it were in the uk stores it would be.

Sounds like the us stores might be run quite differently.

One thing the aldi in the uk do is have specials every week. And you can get some serious grinders and slicers (about once a year) for silly money. All there electronics over here carry a 3 year guarentee. And my mate has even returned goods to aldi without a box or receipt and got replacements.
        Aldi has a very good name in england.

We've got our own aldi opening in swad in a couple of weeks - which'll save the 10 mile round trip to burton.
        :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Only been in Aldi once and it is pretty much a fancier version of Sav A Lot, cant get everything you need, but get in and get out quick!

Comment

No charcoal at my store, to hell with Aldi, never going back in that damn place, rather go in hellmart than there lol

Comment

Pandi, how do you fell about that, I think you are holding back on us?
              No charcoal here either but I knew that, looked a while back.

Funny thing, I priced the fresh VS frozen chicken at both Aldi and Sam's, the "fresh" chicken at Sam's is cheaper than the frozen at either!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

We generally stock up on baking goods at Aldi's around the holidays. Sugar, powdered sugar, brown sugar and cream cheese are usually much cheaper there. Try to avoid their canned veggies though. The corn has bad kernels in it, the green beans have stems in them and the asparagus is like chewing a mothful of wood splinters.

Comment

Re:

LOL I can't speak for all the Aldi's stores in the USA, but from what our one store here does....nothing happens without orders from on high. They seem to have a well developed hierarchy their chain of command goes through.

Its only a managers special then huh? We dont have a winter here so there are never good deals on grilling stuff like you northerners get but i will try to go there tomorrow.
                  Our store doesn't even publish a phone number. Most USA firms wouldn't
                  dream of that. But plenty of German transplants are there shopping each day, as with many other international folks.

Vark is right about the International Food items and the place seems to get
                  good reviews. Between now and the holidays they will have many kitchen appliances and gift items and all for reasonable prices.

I walked through a Family Dollar today and they had 6 lb instant light charcoal for $7 bucks and the larger 16 lb bags of regular stuff were $8 bucks. Otherwise I'd have been stocking up on those Kingsford deals at Lowes or Home Depot for $7.80. The two 20# bags deal.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                    I walked through a Family Dollar today and they had 16 lb bags of regular stuff were $8 bucks. Otherwise I'd have been stocking up on those Kingsford deals at Lowes or Home Depot for $7.80. The two 20# bags deal.
                    Lets see
                    Family Dollar - 16lbs for $8.00 or
                    Lowes or Home Depot - 2X20LB for $7.80

Do I need a math check here?
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

The layout of the store pissed me off lol you have to go in and your trapped on a long isle, then on the way out as I did not purchase anything, you cant just leave, they have all unopened register lanes blocked and its bs that Im supposed to wait behind people in line buying stuff or force my way through them in a skinny isle, F Aldi!!

Comment

Wow! What a great price. I will have to check the ones near me in the St. Louis area. Thanks for the info.

Is the sale still going on at Lowes and/or Home Depot?
                        -Jerry

Char-Griller Super Pro Model #2121 w/ SFB
                        Weber Kettle
                        Weber Smokey Joe (soon to be mini WSM)
                        Maverick ET-73
                        sigpic

Comment

Walked through Aldi on Saturday, meh, Pretty weak. Glad I have much better grocery options.

No charcoal, not disappointed in that, really didnt want to possibly ruin what I was cooking with cheap, filler filled briquettes. Stuck with RO lump.
                          Last edited by chisoxjim; 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM.
                          Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Re:

Dayum, I was hoping all the Smoked-Meat chillin would make a big score
                            at ALDI's and have charcoal to last all winter. I guess I was the lucky one.

And to top this luck, one of my neighbor's Apple tree blew over in the last storm so he says I can have all the smoking sticks out of it I can cut. He just wants the 6" and over stuff for his fireplace.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                            X