A Jallelujah Jalapeno Bass on the drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Jallelujah Jalapeno Bass on the drum

Awhile back I took the evening off and went fishing at one of my favorite little lakes.

I mainly went for the quiet so I parked my fishing pole and checked out the wildflowers. :)

Didn't catch anything but I'm sure it was from not watching my line. When reeling in to pack up and go home I caught this bass.

cleaned it and put it on ice for supper the next day.

I cut the ends off some leeks, washed the leaves...

thought about blanching the leaves but a few seconds in the micro made them pliable.

stuffed the bass with minced leeks, garlic, cilantro and limes. Then sprinkled with Big Poppa Smokers Jallelujah Jalapeno Seasoned Salt.

topped with more leek leaves and tied with string.

made some spicy rice... green onions, green chilies, garlic, tomato, spices, rice, chicken stock.
    Placed both into the drum.

the leeks worked great...

the jalapeno bass with spicy rice...

I really loved the BPS seasoning! Added some heat and a great flavor to the fish.
    Will make this one again for sure (if I catch another fish).

Thank you for looking!
    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Funny... was talking to someone the other day..about the bass tourneys on the TV. He was laughing.."It's not like you can eat them". I dunno - I have had some damned good bass... it ain't a lake perch or walleye... but I find nothing wrong with 'em. Obviously you don't either.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Funny... was talking to someone the other day..about the bass tourneys on the TV. He was laughing.."It's not like you can eat them". I dunno - I have had some damned good bass... it ain't a lake perch or walleye... but I find nothing wrong with 'em. Obviously you don't either.
      lol Thanks...I'll eat em too Rich. Shoot, carp is great if cooked right!
      jeanie

Comment

I love the leek idea... that's gotta add so much flavor. The bass is one of me favs if cooked right, and obviously, you did.

On Edit: Okay, the points nazis got me... gotta wait for the reload...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          I love the leek idea... that's gotta add so much flavor. The bass is one of me favs if cooked right, and obviously, you did.
          Thanks Phil! I like leeks better than banana leaves for cooking. Wish they were bigger though. :)
          jeanie

Comment

Nothing wrong with a good healthy Oklahoma bass! Good eats for sure.
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
              Nothing wrong with a good healthy Oklahoma bass! Good eats for sure.
              Well said jwb! Thanks!
              Howdy from the west end of the state.
              jeanie

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                Thanks Phil! I like leeks better than banana leaves for cooking. Wish they were bigger though. :)
                Yeah, can't find banana leaves easily around here, gotta travel to get to them. Butt, I LOVE the leek wrap idea. Yeah, it would be nice if they were bigger, butt I do run across some fairly big ones at the local farmers market.

Great idea!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Outstanding!
                  I have always fileted my bass from the bone and the skin...Fried, grilled, whatever...Its good eating fish...
                  Wish I could try this soon...

By the way...Love the cast iron grates...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Love me some fresh bass, that looks great!
                    One of my favorite breakfast, fresh caught bass filet pan fried in butta...with some taters. Yumm!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Yeah, can't find banana leaves easily around here, gotta travel to get to them. Butt, I LOVE the leek wrap idea. Yeah, it would be nice if they were bigger, butt I do run across some fairly big ones at the local farmers market.

Great idea!
                      Phil thanks again! The leeks add a nice flavor. I should have chopped these grilled leeks up and tasted them with the fish. They smelled amazing. I'll do that next time! :)

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Outstanding!
                      I have always fileted my bass from the bone and the skin...Fried, grilled, whatever...Its good eating fish...
                      Wish I could try this soon...

By the way...Love the cast iron grates...
                      Thank you Craig! I love my custom grate. Not sure why I don't filet bass, I will give it a try. I like to filet everything else. lol Glad to hear you like em too.

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      Love me some fresh bass, that looks great!
                      One of my favorite breakfast, fresh caught bass filet pan fried in butta...with some taters. Yumm!
                      Mark thank you! Your butter fried bass and taters sounds great!! I need to go fishing soon so I can give it a try. You're makin' me hungry!
                      jeanie

Comment

Heck we fry bass out at our lake.. good eating if you ask me!! love the cook and grates! very nice!!
                        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I loved the pictures of the beautiful scenery. It made me feel calm and serene just looking at them. I also love me some bass! Used to get it all the time, but ponds around here are scarce these days for us. If the drought didn't get them, the fact that we don't know any landowners anymore did. Now that I spend more time on here, it looks like I am going to be enjoying some awesome cooks and ideas. Great job!!

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                            Heck we fry bass out at our lake.. good eating if you ask me!! love the cook and grates! very nice!!
                            Brian great to hear you like them too!
                            The grate was made by Matt at Meyer Metal Works in Kansas. He does fine work. The grate is heavy duty and easy to clean. I've had it a few years and it's holding up nice! Thanks Brian! :)

Originally posted by Analog Girl View Post
                            I loved the pictures of the beautiful scenery. It made me feel calm and serene just looking at them. I also love me some bass! Used to get it all the time, but ponds around here are scarce these days for us. If the drought didn't get them, the fact that we don't know any landowners anymore did. Now that I spend more time on here, it looks like I am going to be enjoying some awesome cooks and ideas. Great job!!
                            Thank you Analog Girl! I love that little lake, it's so peaceful out there. If I catch a fish it's a bonus. :)
                            I hear ya about the drought. Things are brown around my house. If I get any rain, I'll send some your way.
                            jeanie

Comment

Oh yeah! Nicely done Jeanie.
                              I luv me some bass. Don't forget the fish cheeks, some of the best parts.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X