2 Butts and a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Butts and a Brisket

Used a commercial brand on one butt and the homemade rub(lots of homegrown powders) on other for a comparison....

Both got same injection and low and slow with apple/cherry mix....

Commercial deal was lacking color in bark and the rub washed out mostly in smoking process....Commercial on left.

Commercial rubbed...

The homemade was hands down winner among the crowd....Great color to bark and great flavor profile.....

Also tested some new sauce mixes...

Star of night was this little 10 pound packer....

Injected with a modified Butcher BBQ mix....

http://www.butcherbbq.com/?pg=directionsforuse

Low and slow with same apple/cherry mix...She rested 6 hours in cooler as dinner was later then planned.....

Always liked how different woods give different smoke ring colors...Very red was this one....

This brisket literaly oozed juice it was so tender...It was standard CAB...did not trim at all....

Tender as could be and beefy...Passed the bend test nicely

Not much drippings....All was in meat...

BIL bought this attachment for doing pizzas on a webber kettle...Says lay charcoal in horseshoe pattern with none towards opening....Gonna try tomorrow with some fresh made crusts...

Saved some point for one of the pizzas...

Last edited by ALX; 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM.

that's it... I have to go grab a brisket tomorrow morning and get it going tomorrow night so we can eat it monday. that looks too good. what temps were you at, and for how long? it looks too damn good.

I like that pizza "attachment". never thought of that. should be interesting to see how well it actually works. this is going to sound stupid, but it looks like a store-bought piece... is it a standard Weber piece, or "aftermarket"?

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Man Damn Otis....I ain't never seen chicken dat purty! Oh....chit...been in da Natty's!! Uhhh....Sorry Nigel!....That is some awesome brisky!...If'n I get a reload I owed ya Hot Rod!...Uze Black Cat's Rock!...Need's ta know's what dem sauce's might be all flavored & tasty with!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Real nice lookin Beef ALX.
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Rex, I think you nailed it..... ..... Were these done on the drum @ 1,700* like your other stuff?.... I just have not had very good luck doing it your way... ... I bought your UDS book, installed the mods like you showed in the book, AND took your class, but everything seems to get burnt?...... Can I get my money back? (Call me, lets do lunch)

Sincerely,

Ethel Johnsonville-Bratwurstinski

Last edited by Fishawn; 09-05-2010, 10:28 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Pulled pork looks good, Alex. Brisket is outstanding! I need to stock up on both as the freezer is looking a little thin.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

nice job on the butts and brisket.

for experimenting with rubs, and using your own blend.
              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Alex,
                Man, you have some blue ribbon meat here in this post - awesome sliced pictures.

Can't wait to see what kinda pie you turn outta the webber.

Comment

Just beautiful Bud. Excellent pics...
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Dude...I love chicken...thanks for the inspiration...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                      that's it... I have to go grab a brisket tomorrow morning and get it going tomorrow night so we can eat it monday. that looks too good. what temps were you at, and for how long? it looks too damn good.

I like that pizza "attachment". never thought of that. should be interesting to see how well it actually works. this is going to sound stupid, but it looks like a store-bought piece... is it a standard Weber piece, or "aftermarket"?

Later,
                      Andy
                      The dough is currently rising for first run on kettle pizza attachment

Here is the link to maker of this product...I will do pics and thread tonite/morrow on what we think....

http://kettlepizza.com/
                      Last edited by ALX; 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

hmmmm... looks simple enough. I think I may be "re-inventing" that one in the relatively near future, but for my grill, rather than the round webers (I don't have a weber kettle)

Later,
                        Andy
                        Current babies:
                        -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                        -RichTee's Lang :)
                        Former Lineup:
                        -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                        -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                        -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                        BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Working...
                        X