Sharpening grinder blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening grinder blades

My grinder blades are flat-ground type, EG the knife edge is completely parallel (flat against) to the plate.

I sharpen mine myself, by placing the blade then the plate flat on my 2" wide diamond block, adding a little water and gently grinding with a circular motion.

This will only work on parallel knife/plate type cutters!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

sound like the correct way. gentle is the key with diamonds. and when you think you are done. use a Q-tip in the area of sharpening to look for burrs , things that will make the cotton pull. them you need to tweak that area to get any burrs off. small ceramic rods are good for this.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

My understanding is to go in a figure 8 motion??
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        yes, I have heard this also. But consistensy is the key I do believe.lol.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          Hmmm could be Ken. Might have to try that and see if I notice any difference.

And in case I was not clear, you have to "sharpen" (flatten actually) the plate too!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Hmmm could be Ken. Might have to try that and see if I notice any difference.

And in case I was not clear, you have to "sharpen" (flatten actually) the plate too!

Yes, this is true as well... Most folks dont know it is just as important to flatten the grinding plate..
            Ken

Comment

I guess we all think alike. I also have a 4 sided 2 inch x 6 inch diamond stone I bought from Grizzley for $19.99. It has 4 grits, 200, 300, 400, and 600. I really like this and can't beat the price.

Comment

Thanks Rich!
                This is information I am going to be needing here... soon!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

certain thing must be flat to work correctly. I have a huge piece of cast iron that was turned down with a milling machine. then small grooves installed in a circular motion. I use differnt grade oil based grit to flattten things and smooth em out.
                  if you are having problems with it. the companys will normally sharpen for free and you just pay shipping. somethimes even replace free. since you are using their product and in away advertising for them.

Comment

Yea. Kyote. I used to have a lapping plate but left it were I had worked before going out on my own. Just never went back to pick it up. That would really finish them off nicely.

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                    certain thing must be flat to work correctly. I have a huge piece of cast iron that was turned down with a milling machine. then small grooves installed in a circular motion. I use differnt grade oil based grit to flattten things and smooth em out.
                    if you are having problems with it. the companys will normally sharpen for free and you just pay shipping. somethimes even replace free. since you are using their product and in away advertising for them.

Comment

I bring mine in and have them done. Reason is besides the plate and the knifes being sharpened, for the best efficiency the knifes should be sharpened to match a particular side of the plate; so each side of the plate could have its own designated knife.

We have 7 plates, I need to do some bulk knife shopping !!!
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

What do you guys think about useing some 400 grit wet sand paper, like you would use for auto body work, sitting on a piece of 1/4" steel plate?
                        Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                          I bring mine in and have them done. Reason is besides the plate and the knifes being sharpened, for the best efficiency the knifes should be sharpened to match a particular side of the plate; so each side of the plate could have its own designated knife.

We have 7 plates, I need to do some bulk knife shopping !!!
                          I have heard this in the past, Not sure how it would make that big of a difference.. We use mostly two plates..

Originally posted by Hell Fire Grill View Post
                          What do you guys think about useing some 400 grit wet sand paper, like you would use for auto body work, sitting on a piece of 1/4" steel plate?

I have used wet sand before with good results..
                          Ken

Comment

Appreciate the heads up guys! Good to know.
                            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                              Same here. I didn't think it would make a difference buying a new knife and plate of the same brand and just using them together. After I had the plates (both sides) & blades sharpened and matched, the difference in grinding was marginally noticeable. I also had the sharpener inscribe the plates sides and then the size on the knives.
                              sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Working...
                              X