Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah Stoker II for Wood Pellet Smokers Status Update

This is an update of the current statues for the Savannah Stoker II:
    If development stays on schedule the SSii should be here in April.

An overview of the improvements.

The new SSii is a full featured temperature controller. This PID is being redesigned specifically by Auber Instruments for the Savannah Stoker to control wood pellet grills, it will not be for sale on Auberins website.

The switches will be part of the PID. The PID will be twice as high as the current SS's PID but only 2" deep
    The igniter will run for 4 minutes at start up.
    The draft inducer fan will have 2 speeds selectable by the user. The fan will run 20 minutes after the grill is turned off.
    The temp probe connector will plug in the PID, but the connector will be like the one used on the Maverick.
    The interface to connect to Rock's Stoker will be built-in the PID. This will allow temperature control by the Stoker remotely by smartphone or computer.
    The interconnection cable would be purchased separately.

The MSRP is $169
    Interconnection cable $30

Contact info.
    To be placed on the waiting list email.
    Savannahstoker@suddenlink.net
    Like us on Facebook.com/ SavannahStoker

Hope this helps y'all
    Last edited by Savannahsmoker; 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM.
    sigpic

So you are selling them? Sounds pretty cheap, cool!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      So you are selling them? Sounds pretty cheap, cool!
      No I am not selling them, a friend of mine Billy Merrill is as it is his concept. I worked with him on the design, testing and development of the first version, Savannah Stoker, and am also involved in this one.

For your information it is rather simple to make a PID controller yourself but if you do not want to this is an option.

Here is a picture of the first prototype we built.

Picture of the second prototype I design and built for further testing.

Picture of the first version that is sold out.

Picture of the first version mounted in my Traeger.
      Last edited by Savannahsmoker; 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the update!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

You can check out my videos of the prototype and the Savannah Stoker that will interface with Rock's Stoker at my YOUTUBE.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Savannahsmoker?feature=mhee

This controller will be made to fit other pellet grills using a non-pid controller in the future.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice lookin uit
            sigpic

Comment

Love it!

I've been using my SSI since just after new year. It's brought me back to my Traeger from my GMG due to the flexibility and control. I can't wait for the SSII! Already have plans to pass on the SSI to the evil guy who got me hooked on this new passion! Can't remommend it enough!

Says the guy with one post. I know

In SoCal? Stop by and check it out in action....your meat my pellets lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shyster View Post
                I've been using my SSI since just after new year. It's brought me back to my Traeger from my GMG due to the flexibility and control. I can't wait for the SSII! Already have plans to pass on the SSI to the evil guy who got me hooked on this new passion! Can't remommend it enough!

Says the guy with one post. I know

In SoCal? Stop by and check it out in action....your meat my pellets lol
                Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                Weber 22.5" WSM
                Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                Weber Smokey Joe
                GMG Daniel Boone
                Pit Barrel Cooker
                Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                The Vortex

Comment

Savannah Stoker Interfaced with Rock's Stoker

Here is the cook I did using the Savannah Stoker Interfaced with Rock's Stoker for this computer programed time smoke/roast of stuff pork chops.
                  http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20206

This is youtube video showing how the Savannah Stoker Interfaced with Rock's Stoker can do hands off smoke/roasting. You will see the system automatically increase temperature at a preset time. Rock's Stoker interface capability will be incorporated the Savannah Stoker II

Video
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReY0q...1&feature=plcp
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Savannah, It looks cool, and I am interested in what it does. I guess I don't understand what it does beyond what the stoker does? Is the only reason that you are interfacing them to have the wireless bridge? Is this just a replacement for like a traeger control that has gone belly up or something?

I'll watch the video tonight and maybe that will explain it for me.

Kind of interested in maybe building a pellet pooper with my next build...I've got a lot of steel in the shop that has been mocking me every time I walk by it. Maybe a Savannah Stoker / BBQ Engineer patio smoker is in my future.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                      Hey Savannah, It looks cool, and I am interested in what it does. I guess I don't understand what it does beyond what the stoker does? Is the only reason that you are interfacing them to have the wireless bridge?
                      Interfacing Rock's Stoker to the Savannah Stoker adds tons of capabilities some of which I have listed below.

Is the cost of purchasing a Rock's Stoker worth it, well that is up to the pit master.

Manage the pit remotely using a computer or laptop.

Monitor the cook graphed on the computer.

Predicts when preset internal temperature of the meat will be reached.

Adjust temperature based on up to 4 different times.
                      This graph is using timed cooks while testing fan airflow but it shows the timed cooks. I was at Home Depot while this took place so, as you can see, it is a set it and forget system.

Adjust temperature based on 4 internal temps of the meat. I have smoke/roasted turkey this way. Smoked at 180 pit temp until internal temp of 130 degrees is reached or 2 1/2 hours have passed and increase temp to 375 for roasting.

Has a temp hold feature. When the meat reaches an internal temp the pit temp will reduce to a per determined hold temperature. My wife likes this feature. Same example, when the turkey reaches 175 the Stoker reduces pit temp to a predetermined temp, 170 degree and hold that until you are ready.

Here is the stuff pork chop smoke/roast I did yesterday. Pit temp was change d while I was sipping bourbon in the family room.

Here a graph of the cook.

Hope this helps and BTW the video is boring but shows the temp change without human intervention.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
                        Interfacing Rock's Stoker to the Savannah Stoker adds tons of capabilities some of which I have listed below.
                        Ok, and I am familiar with the stoker...but what does the Savannah Stoker do...is it a replacement for pellet controllers that have gone belly up? Or is it a stand alone pellet delivery system to turn a grill / smoker into a pellet system?

Does it have an auger that feeds the pellets? Is that PID mounted to the side of the pellet hopper, or does this include the pellet hopper, the auger, the igniter and burn pot?

I am familiar with PID's as I program them and use them to monitor processes at work...so I understand how they reach the setpoint, how to minimize overshoot, how to program them, and even how to build controller systems. (I interfaced an Omega PID to our network so I can program / monitor it via the computer at my desk...I collect Data in Excel so I can graph it.) I am just unclear as to what your SSII package includes and what it does. Why do I need one? It looks cool and I kinda want one...If it is the pellet delivery system.
                        BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                          Ok, and I am familiar with the stoker...but what does the Savannah Stoker do...is it a replacement for pellet controllers that have gone belly up? Or is it a stand alone pellet delivery system to turn a grill / smoker into a pellet system?

Does it have an auger that feeds the pellets? Is that PID mounted to the side of the pellet hopper, or does this include the pellet hopper, the auger, the igniter and burn pot?

I am familiar with PID's as I program them and use them to monitor processes at work...so I understand how they reach the setpoint, how to minimize overshoot, how to program them, and even how to build controller systems. (I interfaced an Omega PID to our network so I can program / monitor it via the computer at my desk...I collect Data in Excel so I can graph it.) I am just unclear as to what your SSII package includes and what it does. Why do I need one? It looks cool and I kinda want one...If it is the pellet delivery system.
                          If you do not have a Traeger Pellet Grill you do not need one.

The Savannah Stoker replaces the controller that is standard on the Traeger Pellet Grill and other pellet grills in the future. The Savannah Stoker is mounted in the same place as the the Traeger controller. The Savannah Stoker uses the Auber Instruments SYL-2372 1/16 DIN PID.

It is very easy to build, especially for someone with your experience, but many prefer to purchase a complete unit.

The new model will incorporate a interface for Rock's Stoker for those that already own or plan to purchase one for added control.

The main purpose of the Savannah Stoker is to manage the temperature of a Traeger Pellet grill. You can check out the youtube video's the excellent stability provided over the standard controller.
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Savannahsmoker?feature=mhee

Here are a couple of portions of graphs.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
                            If you do not have a Traeger Pellet Grill you do not need one.

The Savannah Stoker replaces the controller that is standard on the Traeger Pellet Grill and other pellet grills in the future.
                            OK Savannah, I get it now...I still think it looks cool and I have wanted to get a stoker just to goof around with (a toy more than anything). It would be a good project for me to build a pellet rig in my workshop...I reserve the right to PM you with additional questions....maybe use one of these on something I "Engineer".
                            BBQ Eng.

Comment

If you want the hopper and auger system I do think I know where to purchase one.

I am looking something like Mastercraft smoker box to install a pellet system in.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X