pepperoni stick recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pepperoni stick recipe?

Does anyone have a good recipe for pepperoni sticks? My wife loves pepperoni and I thought if I could rustle up the ingredients I might try making some sticks soon. I've tried the Morton's pepperoni recipe and wasn't super impressed, seemed pretty bland to me.

I'm looking for something with a beef/pork mix (or all beef I suppose) and kind of on the spicy side, and so far I'm not having much luck finding a recipe.

Thanks
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

there was a few different recipies just posted on this thread in the last 24 hours, a little easier to just direct you here, then re post them :)
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24836
    www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by butcher View Post
      there was a few different recipies just posted on this thread in the last 24 hours, a little easier to just direct you here, then re post them :)
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24836
      Yeah, I saw those but all of those include venison, which I don't have. I'm assuming the flavor profile would be completly different.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Just substitute beef or pork for the venison. The spice flavoring will still be the same.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          Just substitute beef or pork for the venison. The spice flavoring will still be the same.
          I use the same recipie for beef and pork also...
          www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
            Yeah, I saw those but all of those include venison, which I don't have. I'm assuming the flavor profile would be completly different.
            No problem with the meat, Pit... Also..I believe Big guy has some great pepperette recipes... as they seem to call them in Canuckia...
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

mike, thanks for posting a topic that has been on my mind lately, too.

butcher, regarding your recipe on the other thread:

This is for a 10 LB batch, DRY CURE pepperettes

Moose or deer, 80% / 20% pork fat

2 level TSP of Cure salt #1
              4 Tbsp paprika
              6 tbsp grnd mustard
              1 tsp gound plack pepper
              1 tsp gound celery
              1 tbsp grnd mace
              1 tsp gran garlic
              3.5 OZ salt
              1.5 OZ dextrose
              6 OZ fermento

110 F for 12 hours (if you like more "tang" flavour, go another 8 hours, raise temp to 170F and finish to an internal temp of 145F
              i've never made anything like this before, and have a couple of questions about the fermento and dextrose:

a) what are these for? i am guessing that they aid in developing flavour?

b) is there a common or more-widely-known name for these? or perhaps a substitute that would be readily available even in a small-town grocery? basically, if i can't get my hands on those specific products, can i use something else?

thanks!

ron
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
              Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                Originally posted by butcher View Post
                I use the same recipie for beef and pork also...
                Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                No problem with the meat, Pit... Also..I believe Big guy has some great pepperette recipes... as they seem to call them in Canuckia...
                Awesome, thanks guys! I was worried the spice mix would be different since the meat has a different taste!

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                b) is there a common or more-widely-known name for these? or perhaps a substitute that would be readily available even in a small-town grocery? basically, if i can't get my hands on those specific products, can i use something else?
                Can't comment for sure on this stuff Ron, but I'm pretty sure dextrose is just a different type of sugar, as opposed to sucrose (common table sugar). I'm pretty sure it's used in home brewing too, not sure if you have a home brew store there or not, but that would be a good place to find it.

As for the fermento, from what I understand it's just finely powdered, dried buttermilk. Not sure if you can find that locally either. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Fermento =Cultured butter milk powder

Dextrose=Karo syrup can be used (clear) use 1.60 fluid oz per 5 lbs of meat.

PBC Drum Smoker
                  Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                  THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                  Miss Piggy Smoker
                  Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

many thanks, devo - i'll see about finding some powdered buttermilk ~
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
                      nah venison doesn't have a very strong flavour unles you hang it till it goes green. Most people don't do that any more :-)

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                      mike, thanks for posting a topic that has been on my mind lately, too.

butcher, regarding your recipe on the other thread:

i've never made anything like this before, and have a couple of questions about the fermento and dextrose:

a) what are these for? i am guessing that they aid in developing flavour?

thanks!

ron
                      Does seem odd. The dextrose is to feed naturally occuring bacteria which produce lactic acid as a byproduct - hence the 'ferment'.
                      Fermento though is a seperate source of lactic acid that is mostly used when you don't want to ferment but want a similiar profile to a fermented sausage.

Seems odd that both methods would be used in the same sausage
                      looking at the spices there's nothing there to give heat. although quite a lot of mustard. But bugger all pepper. 1 tsp for 10lb of meat.
                      Looks like a tasty recipe but definitely not particularly spicy.

And doubled up on the lactic acid. be interesting for sure.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                      X